Opinions needed for suppressor

reddog964

Wondering what you guys that have them what is the Best suppressor for Rim fire's ?

Just going to be used on a 17HMR No 22RF... so maybe why not a 22cal center fire?

I have had a 30cal can for a few years that i use on everything from 22 to 30cal so just thinking... Lets hear it....

If I understand you question properly, you're thinking of going with a 223 suppressor to use on your rimfires, yes/no??

I have a couple TBAC rimfire cans (22S-1, 22L-1) and a 223P-2. I've used my 223 suppressor on my rimfire guns and I couldn't tell any difference in sound reduction between them. Maybe a meter could pick it up but to my ears I couldn't tell one from the other.

The biggest thing you're going to notice is price and weight. My rimfire cans are a lot lighter than my 223 can and they cost half as much. Also, nearly all rimfire suppressors can be taken apart for cleaning, to some, that's important, to me it wasn't which is why I have sealed rimfire cans.

If you are trying to have one suppressor that will cover your rimfire needs and your .22cal centerfire needs, obviously you'll have to purchase a 223 type can. They will work fine on your rimfires but, depending on how many 22 rimfire rounds you shoot through it, you may need to have it cleaned every so often.

There are many great 22 cal centerfire cans on the market so you'll have plenty to choose from but depending on what 22 cal centerfire you'll be using it on, make sure what ever you buy is rated for what you'll be putting it on. If all you shoot is a 223 you'll be good but if you have one of the hot rod 22 wildcats and the barrel is on the shorter side, it's possible it may not be rated for that so always ask before you buy.

Remember, when in doubt, BUY BOTH!
thumbup.gif

Well SAS could make you a .17cal RF suppressor if you wanted to dedicate one to that.
It would take about 3-7 days longer to do form 2, and get it approved.
then your normal form 3 wait time.
You can get the Tolerance in SS, TI or Aluminum. 117-118 DB NO FRP

#2. SICO Spectre II great suppressor, any thing rime fire, it's a tank, the heaviest of the 3 i'll be suggesting. 117-118 DB NO FRP SS only.

#3. Griffin Armament CMII 121-123 DB NO FRP
light, accurate, good GP RF suppressor.

I absolutely love the SilencerCo SS Sparrow on 17HMR.
Not much reason to step up to a full size .223 suppressor. The size and price are not necessary to suppress the .17HMR

BUT...it does put one in your possession if you choose to suppress a 223/22-250 etc later on...BUT. I would NOT be using a 223 suppressor for anything .22 LR or the like. WAY to dirty.

If you are ONLY going to use .17HMR...the .223 can is a fair choice because it opens up your options
If you ever plan to use .22lR...then get a rimfire can.

Last edited:
I never say never but there are no plans on running it on a 22rf. that's why my thoughts have been on maybe a Ti 22cal so my options are open to run it on the 223rem and 204R... if cost wasn't a issue i would be getting both at the same time! (I'm also sending in the form for my SBR)

I pretty much have had my mind made up that i wanted to go with the SilencerCo SS Sparrow but wanted some experience from others that may have used them or if there was something better out there. I do hear good things about SAS! i have not done any research on the Griffin Armament so it may be worth looking into also. just me but i'm not sure i want anything with Aluminum...

I do run a Hot Rod 22cal if you consider a 75gr Amax @ 3700fps a Hot Rod
wink.gif
wink.gif
but it's not threaded...

Rangerwalker71 i will give you a call tomorrow.

More info is welcome

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrReddog take a look at dead air silencers, the mask is what I have in jail right now. Worth looking at

I think you may have made a VERY wise choice. I just talked to a friend in Tx that got to demo the HD version of this can and he said it was awesome.

I'll be very interested in hearing what you think of it once you get it out of ATF jail and you get some rounds down range with it. Did you get the HD version?

Dead Air has some new pistol suppressors coming out that I'm eagerly waiting for, too.

B23, I did not get the hd version but the guys at the gun shop have let me play with it a little and it was awesome. Like it better than the sparrow they had, we shot them both for comparison and all 4 of us that shot preferred the mask over the sparrow.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrReddog take a look at dead air silencers, the mask is what I have in jail right now. Worth looking at

Were you located? what shop is yours in jail at? i'm definitely will be checking these out!!! whats the cost if you dont mind me asking.

Brad you bring them with you next month??

Tim all you need to do is make it here
wink.gif
besides you haven't had the pleasure of shooting my 300 RUM Imp
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeKevin, I shot the 300 Ryker. I was danged near ready to build one after that..
w00t.gif

Then I came to my senses,what few I have..
lol.gif

Goes to show you how OLD i'm getting...

Well i couldn't take it any longer.....paid for and paper work filled out, now a couple day wait for the Leo sign off :(-

Silencerco Sparrow limited Ed

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendNice

They are like tater chips, one just won't do

Let the waiting commence

Lol.... I know
crazy.gif

I decided that this is gonna stay on the HMR, Plans for a Ti 22cal next...

Depends on the examiner you get, the dealer said he has got some back that he sent in july and got the paper work back in Sept... Go Figure. just hope i get the same one, Not a fat chance
wink.gif

Back