22-250 bullets 60gvmax vs sierra 55g 1365 for coyotes?

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another....though weight anchors the coyote and fights the wind a bit better.......but to match velocity with the heavier bullet will use more powder and probably wear out the barrel a wee bit sooner.

Out of my Swift, my "go to" coyote load is the Sierra 55gr HPBT 1390. I shot a coyote last weekend at 320 yard and he dropped like a rock and the bullet never exited the opposite side.

can't vouch for the 60 vmax as i've never shot them but i have shot piles of coyotes out of my 22-250's useing #1365's and i can't see ever changing them with something else.

they are simply a phenominal coyote bullet.

edited to add:. sure there have beem many 1000's killed with vmax bullets but i've whitnessed WAY TO MANY get away after being hit with them to every recommend them when there are better choices out there.
they are accurate and cheap to buy. i assume thats why so many use them.

Last edited:
I agree with that also. I like buying them in big boxes and shooting the daylight out of them, but I also shoot soft points in tournaments so what does that tell you....

+2

Agree with Cowpoke and CZ527

55's give you a tad more speed vs the 60g which translates into flatter shooting.

Sierra 55's:

55g Spt Flat base

55g spt BT

55g BTHP(toughest of them)

All anchor coyotes very well. The 55g Spt BT and 55g BTHP have a very high quality jacket on them that Sierra rates as a match jacket due to concentricity, so they cost a tad more and are worth every penny.

All off Sierra's lead tip and the 55g BTHP are exceptional killers, giving great penetration for quartering shots, which few seem to be concerned with.

If you are not saving hides, then the sierra 55g lead tip blitz in a 22/250 AT 3500-3550 just grenades a coyote, you have to see it to believe it. If you have a rough barrel, you may not get them past 3550 fps. I shot them with a load of 34.5g of H4895 in a 22/250, they really blow a hole in a coyote.

I shot a lot of the Berger 60g HP in the 22/250AI at 3700, and the Sierra 1390's and 1365's at 4100 out of a 26" 22/250 AI, they never failed, even when shot in the stomach.

I want a bullet that will not blow up on shoulder blades and hip joints. Penetration on quartering shots is a must.

I have also had great luck with the Sierra 45 and 50g Spt also, they do NOT blow up. The 45g spt was origionally made to duplicate the 48g bullet that was being loaded in the 220 swift, they are unreal accurate in all cases that I have shot them in.

As the leade gets long in your rifle, the Sierra 55g Semi point is as accurate as Berger bullets in some rifles and really a good killing bullet.

I've tried them all and now load the Sierra 1365 exclusively in my 22/250. Very accurate and kills better than anything else. Gives me the least amount of fur damage on bobcats and drops coyotes like a hammer . I've also killed hogs and deer with it with excellent results.

Back