LeE HarVey OswAld

Wile E Coyotie

Home here from Elk hunt in N N Sask - Forest is ablaze with fall colors- Locals had been talking about giant bull feeding/sleeping on my turf -- So the day before I am to leave to go North I get stung from some kinda Vodoo Wasp from the Darkside and - took me totally out for 7hr on a venous fiery burn - swelling my left paw beyond -- I wanted to chop it off - but my bride insisted i should not do that --
anyways while whimpering through the day knowing now I would arrive the day after --opening morning - because of my radiating left hand - my Nieghbour up there -- bless his heart- -sat in his Ford watching a 8x9 bull chase cows all around the fence line dividing his property from mine - and the next morning on opener -while it was pouring rain - he found that bull right there in the same place -only this time - when the bull crossed the fence -he leveled it-
- a beauty --I drove all day in the rain to get there and find him- skinning out the bull that night at his ranch-- He assured me there was several other satellite bulls and pointed me in the right direction cuz -- 2 nights later crossing the fence line - I took 3 yr old rag bull 6x4 with big dog bone on Rh side-

- Elk are certainly dominating the bush line where I have my cabin -
The area use to b choking on whitetail but -winter kill has only the very strongest surviving -mother nature rules- - and enter the wolf -i call him the boogie man for good reason -

Elk- now is cut up into steaks at home here -and so yesterday while the wind sock waz sagging -i called a -back up gunner -
to see if he was up to going out - and at 11;30 am picked him up and head N about 30 mins from my bed - Harvest is all but over and the country side has settled down a bit--Magnun honkers are everywhere- no northern Duxs yet

1st set -up- big open valley running west to east - 600 yrds wide--mayb 3-400 yrds deep- clean and smooth through the bottom -not much cover - Temps are 18C- slight south breeze at the Tacoma but when we rim out the wind is almost straight out of the west -
- Back up gun in on down wind side and @ 7 mins into it I can see a big woolly dog charging hard in from the east -coming my way - but -I know the wind deal is soon to b a issue and get center on the dog still running hard in @ 300 yrds now-
- about then the back gun goes off and a big displacement of earth suggest a miss as I watch through the big eye -- the dogg turned abit but still is advancing on my 6 when the back up gun goes off again - its a 300 Win Mag - so big Boom --this time the dog change directions by 90 degrees and jumping looking for escape - but its too late the 55 gr from my Swift is half way there- and even though flight time is just less than a half second at 340 yrd -- its all now -down to less than one hundreds of a second - #974 adult male white sable sable- looked good except big blow out-angling down from the sky line above

- clock says 7:23 min when i look at it - so i just let it play out -
- at about 17 min mark a fur ball shows up from behind me 30 yrds- and run straight out away - passing the call below at 90MPH- i tried my best but could not connect firing 3 into the ruff - and the back up gun put three after him too -- luck dog luck dog-
its a steep deep crack in the earth but i manage to get down and back for the pictures-

2nd set up - no show -- but well worth the senery --a very pleasant 25 min -emersion Heaven on Earth

3 set-up - back up gunner is really dog eyeing me --when he knows now that -- yes - we r going to sit in this open field that is covered in cow chit-- The rancher has dump truck that has huge choppers at the back and they displace the cow turds from the feed lots onto the given crop field for nutrients- fertilizer if u will---- Its all dry cow chit - so i put him on the west side of the big dimple in the field that is about 1/2 section in size 320 acres?- - Not a tree in sight - wide open - the only thing larger than a chopped up bit of cow spat within sight -is the back up gunner- cuz he is bigger than me - we have height advantage -on our side hill-Tacoma is just behind the hill - and its wide open that direction too-
I put the Box - out there 100 yrds up wind- with Brand new -MOJO -replacing old one--(Thank you HOM ) MOJO - stuck in the top--
I do my stress bark bark bark 3 mins then into P distress -- at 4.3 on the clock i catch very large red dogg coming over ridge 700 yrds and charging for the bottom toward the call - I can see with the big eye- he is the legendary giant red coyote seen in this area -the rancher has told me about braver than brave -running from nearly all - of this past calving seasons episodes of eviscerated calves throughout his 1000 cow herd
I am sure he is seeing the backup gunner getting set up --i am sure he does not see me and I watch as he starts to circle big on us-- where he is he has no hope of finding our stink but he continues to circle wider and is about to depart my field of view in a low spot hauling up to a stop before he does -- -I tell myself right away as I center --to wait - and Boom the Backup gunner goes off - I watched on 10x the melon shot - Big Red took it bad - back guner gave him the - LeE HarVey OswAld - enough said -very large Alpha male red on red on white a beauty 40 pounder looking like a Dingo- no guff

I let the call play out - and @ 9mins could see large male running in across the field --again nothing in the field bigger than cow turd choppings- except me in my stadium chair on Bi pod
-they r so focused on the noise location and once they see MOJO___ they r wired -- I shut the call down - he is so zoned in on the MOJO_ --with a bark he notices me- at 110 yrds - done #975 -adult male white sable white-

its about 3 oclock - and I got another location in mind -so we rip it - the hill and dale route to next set up with Tacoma-
Last set up of the day -
been here before --gettem each time --- its a gravel pit - we set up side by side - with the call out front 50 yrds -but below us on 15 degree angle 30 feet--height advantage is ours- we own 240 degrees of the compass
again stress bark then P distress - for about 7 mins - when sub adult male crested top end of a finger draw that comes out of the south -as far as u can see-
I give the back up gunn one of those shhhspppsshh- noises to get him on the in bound target-
He come right up to the decoy almost - in full trott- before stopping -briefly- i was full centered on him - its always nice to have a buddy on board for the day -and in those brief moments - in the grass - on the hill side - action there in front of you -in your face decisions to b made - normally i do most of this by my self -i found myself -solid centered- thinking the back gun would soon b going off - and sure enough- as if on Q - 168 gr Berger ripped the sound barrier and basically skinned that coyote right there--
4 for the day - i will take it --

Originally Posted By: atdNice job! Is that a Rocky Mountain elk or another species?

I am pretty sure it is of Manitoba Elk-
I was pretty geared up to take the 1st bull that walked out- dog bone added bonus-
but he is small young rag bull -Great eating-
thankz to all above

Elk is one of a kind

Never kill another the same
thumbup.gif

Some ppl are just rude with nothing better to do. Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted By: T-NicholsElk is one of a kind

Never kill another the same
thumbup.gif

Some ppl are just rude with nothing better to do. Thanks for sharing
Thanks man --I need that --
Kinda like the story of two dogs on the hill barking ----- no wait - I wont tell that one here
Elk looks like the main beam got bent while soft cuz it has 90 bend down Unique
regards

Nice job on the elk and song dogs. I was after elk for the last couple weeks up in zone 55 and just always seemed to be a step behind. Maybe next year.

Back