More German rabbits 9/22

5spd

Not the best picture from one of my boys that is stationed in Germany.
His 1st 17hmr rabbits there after I sent him Marlin/rem vx17, 4-16x44 illuminated scope, sling, cleaning rod & all related stuff except ammo. 17hmr ammo there runs $28(heart attack!) per 50. All head shots (per German hunting regs) at approx. 60 meters he said. He & family likes rabbits like anyone should.
Just the rifle alone in Germany runs $300+ if he had bought it there, but with the Germans approval & paper work/wait time sending it was easy as apple pie & total cost was a lot less.

thumbup.gif

The most recent hunt or I would say shoot since they are all over there and pop out on the field roads and sit for a shot.
He said this took all of 15 min to do. Heck when I go for rabbits over here I spend that much time just trying to get 1..hahah

Yea ones that moved same second as trigger pulling, they pretty much just sit still for a few seconds so he has to be quick.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Interesting... They look like they are bigger than a cottontail yet smaller than a jack?
Just watching them come out and hop around and then gather in groups you will see a big variation in sizes. Some can be 2lb and as big as 4-5 lbs. The Hare over there is the same as a jack rabbit here though, 2x as big as the rabbits.
Rabbits have no season in Germany unlike here. Hare on the other hand have a season whereas over here there usually open all year.
The ones I cooked up when I was visiting were just darned good eating.
http://ansbach.armymwr.com/files/2713/8429/8080/Guide_08i_Rabbit_2013-08.pdf

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyWhat happens if they catch you with a rabbit that wasn't shot in the head?
Nothing on rabbits, they really want them dead fast as possible.
Now if you were in a group w/Germans and could not make a fast kill they certainly would let you know and probably not be invited back since you cant make ethical kills.

Hello:

In my youth, Dad's friend was stationed in West Germany at the time. He went through the process to obtain his German hunting license called a Jagerbrief, if I am not mistaken.

From what he told me the meat was sold. This was in the late 1960's and early 70's.

So could they keep the meat? Just wondering.

^^^ he can keep the rabbits from this land, BUT pig, deer are the property of the landowner and must be taken to them. The land owner usually gives them the chance to purchase it then, otherwise has it processed for his own use or sale.

Back