My Montana Trip

Smokin250

Ended up getting to go to Broadus Montana a few weeks ago with some buddies. We went there to shoot Prairie Dogs, and we surely did that. We camped on prairie all week, and had a blast. Its different world out there from what I am used to, and I loved every bit of it.

I am a little belated on posting up some pictures, but here are a few I took. Ill try and post a few more pictures when I get a little more time.

Here is the first night we were there. One of the dog Towns we shot.

oa6vx0.jpg

Coyote hunting one night. No takers all week, but still fun.

8zfmg0.jpg

2cs6t15.jpg

Last But not least....one morning we went looking for a different type of animal...and well you get the idea.

2vvnodl.jpg

Thanks
Brian

Thanks Tim. It was a lot of fun! Hopefully I will be fortunate enough to return some day! Hopefully with a Bow and some tags next time!

Was this just a photo hunt for the BUZZZTAIL? I can do without them on my shooting trips.
Please, we need more info & photos about the P-DOGS!

Joe

Ahhh the potential for hat bands and some right fine eating. Looks like you chained up the big rock and moved it to expose the little wigglers.
Yes some more pic's with rounds spent and dogs down. Glad you enjoyed the state.

We left early on a Friday Morning and drove from Cincinnati to Mitchell SD and spent the night. Got up next morning did the cabelas thing then finished our trip. Got to Broadus around 2-3 if I remember correctly. Stopped in town to grab a bite to eat and meet up with the rancher whose ranch we stayed on. The guy I used to work for is good buddies with him and that's how we got to go out. After lunch we went to ranch and set up camp where we were staying. Below is a picture of where we stayed. Not best picture.

14v5st2.jpg

k6quv.jpg

k96l1i.jpg

Well after 2 days in a car I was itching to burn some powder. So we went to a town on the ranch we were staying on and shot for the rest of the night. Had shots from 40 yds out to 364 yds. Was a kid in a candy store. You couldn't take the smile off my face.

The next day we went west an hour and met up with buddy of the rancher and shot on some of his places. Dogs were mainly shot up there, but we still got quite a few.

We shot several more ranches here and there and had lots of fun. I spent 2 of the days fooling around with the rancher and his buddy. Tried to help pay him back with work the best I could. I helped his buddy weld up a blade one day and fix fence the next day. See here is the funny thing about that. See he told us we had to go up north to fix fence at one of his pastures so we could move cows off the short grass...hey no problem I can do that. So after an hour drive down what seemed like a wagon trail we get to this "Pasture". Now I will use this word loosely, this one "pasture" was 5,000 acres. We put 25 miles on the truck driving to these 3 spots in the fence to fix. I have never in my life seen land like that, and if my head wasn't getting beaten off the roof then my jaw was on floor in aw. At several points you could see the salt butes clear as day, which was cool.

Alright, so for the snake deal....well this kind of started on the first day we were there. The rancher had told us that he had found a big snake den right down from our camp the week before. Now I am scared of snakes with a passion...I mean like a 5 year old girl. Always have been and cant do a thing about it. Anyway, the rancher is now aware of this and through out the week has quite a bit of fun with it id say. Well, I think the first morning I was there I climbed up on that mountain in the first picture and checked it out. Here are some pictures from up there.

b65yjl.jpg

Ladies and Gents, this is my first and only "Selfie" Figured it was appropriate. How did I DO!!

1rdj76.jpg

So while I was up there, I called my buddy who was down below. I said look up here and he finally saw where I was and started yelling at me saying that is where the main snake den is and where they catch snakes each year....needless to say I was off that mountain right now. From then on I was really on edge. So, about mid way through the week we had a late night at the local watering hole, and I decided, "Heck with it, lets go down to that dang den tomorrow and take a peak at those snakes" The rancher looked at me and said alright then, if that's what you want. So, around 9 the next morning we went on down to then den. Well the larger snake he was talking about was right out side the hole, I wasn't quite there yet when they saw it. SO by the time I got there they realized that 1 snake was actually 4 and they were all going back in the hole. So heck, if you want to see snakes and they are under a rock (ill call it a rock, closer to big arse rock if you ask me), and you hook a chain up to it and move it. We did just that. There ended up being a total of 7 rattlers in there, all right around 2 1/2" ft if I had to guess. While I am scared of snakes, it was very cool to get to see these little suckers. A certain level of curiosity and respect flows over you when your that close to a venomous snake like that.

I believe everyone has to have at least one picture from the watering hole, here is a sign that I thought was just too darn funny.

2hmlnci.jpg

The last day we were there we went down to a ranch on the powder river and had a blast. We shot for several hours and found several dogs. I rode around on the tool box of the ranchers truck the majority of the time shooting of my bipod and bag on his roof. We spent more time cutting up then shooting I think.

Here are some pictures from that day.

51sc5t.jpg

254wk89.jpg

I took several rifles but only used my new fast twist 223 with can, and my 22-250 running 50 gr noslers. My longest "confirmed" shot was 364 yds. However I am more than certain I hit one it at 600 but could not confirm it as I don't think there was any way I could find that little fellar out there, and it didn't pop like the closer ones. I only shot 440 rounds, and have no idea how many dogs I eliminated, but it I am sure there were several.

Being a eastern hill billy out west I had more fun then a guy should legally be able to have. I surely hope I am fortunate enough to go back. I am sure I missed some other details and pictures. If I think of other stuff ill post it up.

Thanks for my long winded explanation.

Great story and great pics, although pictures cant do out West justice
One must see it for himself to be able to appreciate it. Glad you got to go

A little late to the party--been away from the 'puter for awhile but great trip, Brian! Hope you get back soon!

Sooo, did you pop those rattlers or just look at them and leave em be???

Myself, unless the property owner told me to leave em be, I'd have been blasting away at those things until I was out of bullets or everything stopped moving. Then I'd probably spent the rest of my nights sleeping with one eye open and getting all kinds of twitchy every time I "thought" I heard the slightest little noise. Yes, as you can probably guess, I am NO fan of friggin rattle snakes and I'm of the opinion, the only good one is a dead one. So I'm curious what you all did with them after you pulled that rock out of the way.

Last edited:
Funny thing was, we were camping in tents on prairie about 200 yds. up the hill from where the snakes were.

The rancher said leave them.

Back