Threading 1/2-28 on a .270 or larger?

Zegle

I've been looking at suppressors for awhile now and after some research I'm wanting to get the TBAC Ultra 7 .30 cal can. I'm wanting to get the suppressor in the standard mil spec thread pitch(1/2-28) so I can use it on my AR15 and Ruger 22-250.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to thread my .270 in the standard mil spec thread pitch for the suppressor to be compatible...right?

On TBAC's website, it has the option for the 1/2-28 thread on the Ultra 7, but it has a star next to that particular thread pattern (see link)...can someone interpret what having the 223 aperture means? This little star is causing all the confusion and discontent for me.
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7

I'm completely new to the suppressed world but I'm very eager to learn as much as possible.

it sounds like you are going to be going direct thread? if yes then the little star does not apply to you. you wont be using their brake for mounting the can on you rifles.

the star concerns a different mounting option that uses a brake that only has a .223 caliber hole in it. that brake would not work with you .270.

I would think that you would need the 5/8" thread instead of the 1/2"

Personally I wouldn't really want to fire a 270 that has a 1/2" thread on the end of it without the cap or suppressor. I would worry about a peeling blowout if it was fired without support or reinforcement.

Originally Posted By: ZegleI've been looking at suppressors for awhile now and after some research I'm wanting to get the TBAC Ultra 7 .30 cal can. I'm wanting to get the suppressor in the standard mil spec thread pitch(1/2-28) so I can use it on my AR15 and Ruger 22-250.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to thread my .270 in the standard mil spec thread pitch for the suppressor to be compatible...right?

On TBAC's website, it has the option for the 1/2-28 thread on the Ultra 7, but it has a star next to that particular thread pattern (see link)...can someone interpret what having the 223 aperture means? This little star is causing all the confusion and discontent for me.
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7

I'm completely new to the suppressed world but I'm very eager to learn as much as possible.

The smallest yo can go for that cal. is 9/16x24 according to my gunsmith. I personally would try to go 5/8x24 if at all possible.
Also look at a TOMB over Dt so you have a choice of weapons and TPI's you can run it on. The 1/2x28 TPI listed is for 556's.
Feel free to call me at 816-718-9489 if you have any issues, or questions.
Thanks
Steve
RLTW

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up for me Snot, that makes a lot more sense now. and yes I forgot to clarify that i'm wanting to go direct thread.

TBone: I haven't contacted TBAC or a gunsmith yet, i'm just trying to get some ideas on how I would go about setting this up for my .270. I'm guessing once I get this suppressor I wont want to shoot the .270 (or any rifle for that matter) without the suppressor on, but I definitely don't want a peeling blowout. Your input raises another thought...

If I do go with the 1/2-28 thread on the can, could it work to go with the 5/8 thread pitch on the 270 and just get a 5/8 to 1/2 adapter for the can? Do they make that adapter?
Or would it make more sense to go 5/8 on the can and 270, then just get a couple 1/2 to 5/8 adapters for the AR 15 and 22-250?

Thanks ranger walker. I sure appreciate the info, and I might have to give you a call to clarify a few things.

It would be easier to find a 5/8 to 1/2" bushing. Not so much the other way around. You would want a 5/8 thread on the can and a reducing bushing down to the 1/2" thread.
I personally would find another option.

For what you are talking about doing (getting a 30cal can for all calibers) makes a lot of sense.

The adapters and threading, well, I don't think you will regret spending the money it costs to find someone that has a long and good reputation for doing quality work. Pay up front for quality and be happy for the rest of the time you use it.

Originally Posted By: crapshootYou would want a 5/8 thread on the can and a reducing bushing down to the 1/2" thread.

Agree, we actually ran a 5/8X24 adapter that necked down to 1/2X28 on an AAC Cyclone, Shadow XL Ti, and a Matrix M9, hey, it worked.

I've got an adapter to run my 30 cal can on my .223's and .22's.....
It's just a milled 5/8 male and 1/2 female....works great.

Back