Indexing you're suppressor?

Dirty Hippie

Do any of the experienced can guys out there know if a suppressor needs to be indexed for repeatability? I just picked up my SilencerCo Omega and see that the baffles have a groove cut out of them for the entire length of the suppressor. The groove could end up in any orientation during mounting, and it seems possible that the groove could direct the gases in such a way that you're POI could shift slightly if the suppressor did not index in the same position every time you mounted it to your host. The owners manual did not mention anything about special mounting requirements, but I was curious if this has ever been an issue with different types or designs of cans.

Research, research and research... Multiple factors can cause a POI shift, hopefully you don't have an issue.
I would get out there and start acquiring DOPE, while repetitively taking the can on and off between groups. IF you get a POI shift in any circumstance, I would just leave the can on, all the time, unless the shift is so minimal and your not concerned about minute of coyote at the distances you plan on killing...
I've indexed a few, one in particular that was fun, was the Elite Iron Windtalker for the .416, of course this is a thread on, but the concept is the same, so that every time you attached the can, the POI was always the same, which was always vertical never horizontal.

To your question.
If the baffle stack is not removable...it will always orient in the same position every time. Even if you have a monocore that you can remove...it still orients the same every time, provided that the monocore attaches directly to the muzzle threads.
This is the beauty of single point cut threads.

On something like a pistol suppressor, or other model of suppressor where the baffles can be removed, and can be put back, indexed in a different position. You can get an issue...which is usually not an issue in a hand gun suppressor's accuracy potential.

The Omega direct thread caps, and the Omega caps that attach to a brake or a flash hider...still have single point threads on the mounts as an interface.

Unless you can actually freely turn the baffle stack inside the tube. You should be fine. There won't be any indexing needed (or even possible for that matter).

Dirty Hippie To answer your question ,,, There should not be a reason or need to index a can.
But run some trials with it and see if the POI changes,, If that happens for you, You can use some timing washers to adjust the can, to the rotation, you want. Make a small mark with a sharpie to start with and then you can reference the can.
Some people call them by other names. They are not crush washers. Midway has a pack of them different thicknesses.
I put my can on and left it there. I adjusted the scope and never have looked back.

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerIf that happens for you, You can use some timing washers to adjust the can, to the rotation, you want. Make a small mark with a sharpie to start with and then you can reference the can.
Some people call them by other names. They are not crush washers. Midway has a pack of them different thicknesses.They are called "peel washers" and they are often used to time a brake to a barrel, and commonly used to time a brake that a suppressor attaches with.

I would never use one with a direct thread suppressor though.

Originally Posted By: cbass16

I would never use one with a direct thread suppressor though.

I completely agree, there should be no reason to use peel washers on a direct thread, all your doing is adding potential for problems, and as long as the barrel was threaded by a professional smith, you'll be repeatable every time to take the can on and off.

Thanks for the responses guys! It sounds like all I need to worry about is finally getting some trigger time behind the new rig
smile.gif
thanks again

Back