Favorite predator knife?

This one was made for me by Allen warren ats-34 blade red micarta handle.
IMG_0312.jpg

Joe the only thing I would change about it is maybe a 1/2" more blade it just seems a little short when working on a deer, but no problems on coyotes and I have other knives for deer hunting.

Love the thin blade holds an edge really well,love the red micarta handle fits my hand great, Alans sheaths are some of the best.

I like a knife with some belly for skinning.

Last edited:
I would guess that it has about a 3" blade? And you like that size for coyotes?

I have never skinned a coyote, but have skinned quite a few elk, deer, antelope, rabbits, turkeys, ect.... {of course I haven't kept the hides, so am wondering about the differences between skinning for hides, and skinning for meat} but am thinking about putting together a nice basic dedicated predator knife pattern for the hunter of the month prizes, and of course it will become one of my standard patterns for sale also.

I have been watching some videos of guys skinning coyotes, but would like yalls input also. I suppose I should also find some time this winter to get out and shoot a few to practice on. I have one of the fancy electronic calls, the hellfire I think, and some handcalls, and have tried it a few times, but if anything came in, I never saw it.

I have several. My "favorite" is the one that's sharp at the time.

Kidding aside (sorta),,, these two are the one's I use the most these days.
The top one is a KOA Caper. The D2 steel's a little softer than some of the D2 I've owned/used but I'm a carbon steel guy so that's fine with me.
Likes,,, ergonomics, and blade profile.
Dislike's,,, the rubber scales (yea I know they don't slip when bloody, yawn) and that stupid over sized lanyard tube. Those are strictly cosmetic though.

The other is an A G Russel Woods Walker that I've had forever. The Jap stainless could hold an edge a little longer but it better'n most SS.
Likes,,, pretty much everything about it.
Dislikes,,, wish they used better steel but it wasn't intended to be used in a fur shed soooo. Still a handy little knife and a real bargain IMO though.

Big Chris Custom of my own design. S90v blade steel. 4 inch micarta handle and a 3 inch blade.
Likes....amazing edge retention and super comfortable in hand. Kydex sheath. Leather is alot harder to keep clean in the fur shed.
Dislikes....Handle is a little slippery when bloody and the blade steel is harder to sharpen but pretty easy to touch up if not allowed to get dull. S90v is fairly expensive but totally worth it in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Joe CaltonI would guess that it has about a 3" blade? And you like that size for coyotes?

I have never skinned a coyote, but have skinned quite a few elk, deer, antelope, rabbits, turkeys, ect..

2.5-3 inch is more than enough for skinning predators. There's allot more pulling than cutting going on.
BIG difference between skinning an Elk or Deer and putting up fur.

Look up "The Two Minute Coyote".
The guy skin's em faster than anyone I know with a rock and a come-along.
Course,,, that's the last thing a knife maker wants to hear.
smile.gif

Josie, congrats on the knife from Big Chris!! I have heard nothing but good about his work!

repete, well I guess I could start doing custom rocks and come-alongs, you know, shiny finishes on the rocks, and fancy scales on the come-along handles...... :}

I think I have a good one started in my head. will have to play around with it a bit tomorrow.

but what im getting so far is a grippy handle that is not rubber {yawn}, a solid heat treat on a steel that is not a bear to sharpen, and blade in the 3"ish region. Thin grind. kydex sheath.

now how about lanyard holes?
stainless or high carbon?
a belt loop on the sheath? or hollow rivets for tying it to a pack or something?

Joe,,, the point I was trying to make is that IMO the rubber scales are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Heck,,, when I used to skin in the field I used an old Buck 102 and never once in the 20+ years I used it did my hand slip due to getting blood on the handle.

As for lanyard holes, I'd just as soon a knife didn't have a tube let alone one big enough for a half inch rope to go through but people seem to like em so I guess it doesn't hurt anything (cept the looks).

I like thin blades and small handles. I'm not a knife guru,so I don't know the terms well. Thin blade , that is on the verge of flex ,with a pointed tip, like KOA caper or the Big Chris that was posted.

Most days I'm reaching for a scaple (sp) .

Tim, ever used a Victorinox Paring Knife? Check 'em out, you won't be disappointed. Especially for about $6.00...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeGC, I don't remember if I've handled one or not.

My boneing and butchering knives are Vic's.

Grab a couple Vic parers. Handy as h e ll and a pair of them runs less than $15. Best buy bargain they are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCGrippy handle that isn't rubber = jigged and beaded G10. Perfection...

+1
The one g10 handled knife I have actually gets a little more "grippy" when wet or bloodied.

Here is another one that I really like just a throw together Helle 2 3/4" laminated blade and a piece of stag for the handle just put it together to test the helle blade love the feel of it very comfortable in any position Helle blade sharpens to a razor edge and holds an edge ok for a $17.00 blade,would love to have a custom built like it.
P8230004_zpsw5bonyyp.jpg

Back