In the market for 45 suppresor

B23

I'm going to be in the market for a 45 suppressor.

Top quality is a must. Closely followed by weight and highest levels of db noise reduction.

I kind of like the looks and lower profile of the flat sided Silencerco Osprey. I see they come in different lengths, what are the pros/cons of them?

I'm open to any and all opinions.

This will be going in a Sig full size 1911 45.

I think I may have narrowed it down to Silencerco Osprey, Octane and AAC Ti Rant.

From what I can gather, everyone is chasing the AAC Ti Rant on sound reduction but the Octane is rated for more.

Doesn't Gemtech have some new cans out? Anyone have any information on them??

Rangerwalker71 feel free to give your 2cents. The more information the better.

Last edited:
yes sir I can help.
My personal favorite is the Osprey 45. The looks on a 1911 are sweet, Plus it is light and you don't need sights that are crazy high.
It it has a very slight FRP, But more of a 1/2 of a FRP.
#2. Would be the Octane. It's a tank. That is my can of choice for my Glock 20. I run some 1300+++FPS loads thru it. Works outstanding. But its heavy.

#3 would be tirant, good can, quiet, I just haven't let go of the CS issue with AAC. If they can get that corrected they would move up.

Other options Gemtech makes a new GM45, But your looking at 22-24 DB of reduction. it's only 5.5" long, Just like the Osprey K or AAC S models. They are shorter, But you loose reduction.

SAS Impact is a wonderful new 45 Can. Light, accurate and you can get it in TI or Aluminum.
Weight- 11 oz Ti

Length x Diameter- 7" x 1.38"

Sound Reduction- 38 DRY db

Osprey ##
Caliber:
9mm to .45 ACP
including
300 BLK Subsonic

Muzzle Average dB:
125.2 (9mm)
128.6 (.40 S&W)
131.3 (.45 ACP)

Weight:
11.1 oz

Length:
8.06”

DiAMETER:
1.30×1.75”

Osprey K 45

Caliber:
9mm to .45 ACP
including
300 BLK Subsonic

Muzzle Average dB:
135.0 (9mm)
135.8 (.40 S&W)
137.3 (.45 ACP)

Weight:
8.0 oz

Length:
6.41”

DiAMETER:
1.30×1.75”

Materials:
Aluminum &
Stainless Steel

Octane 45

Caliber:
9mm to .45 ACP
including
300 BLK Subsonic

Muzzle Average dB:
130.4 (9mm)
130.6 (.40 S&W)
132.0 (.45 ACP)

Weight:
12.1 oz

Length:
8.50”

DiAMETER:
1.37”

Full Auto Rated

Materials:
Aluminum &
Stainless SteeL

Octane K 45

Caliber:
9mm to .45 ACP
including
300 BLK Subsonic

Muzzle Average dB:
135.8 (9mm)
136.3 (.40 S&W)
139.8 (.45 ACP)

Weight:
9.4 oz

Length:
6.85”

DiAMETER:
1.37”

Full Auto Rated

Materials:
Aluminum &
Stainless SteeL

AAC Tirant
Weight:
11.5 oz
Length:
8.74"
Diameter:
1.38"
Finish:
Cerakote™
Sound Reduction:
(Dry/Wet):
-30dB/-41dB
Mount:
Threads
Materials:
Grade 9 Ti,
17-4PH,
7075-T6

AAC Tirant S
Caliber:
.45ACP
Weight:
9.2oz
Length:
6.42"
Diameter:
1.38"
Finish:
Cerakote™
Sound Reduction:
18dB Dry, 28.5dB Wet
Mount:
Thread
Materials:
Grade 9 Ti, 17-4PH, 7075-T6

I pulled these just so you can see numbers and what the Manufactures are saying they are.

I have shoot the S and K models i personally wouldn't get one unless you have operational need for them. They are shorter but don't have near the sound reduction for me. Better then nothing but not as good as full size.
I really like the SAS numbers and size of the Impact. Tim makes some outstanding suppressors, this is one of my next i'll be buying.
I have All of the above ready to form 3 to your dealer.
To recap: Ospery is my Go-To can, How ever the Impact is my next one, and think it will be my new GO-TO. Until i shoot it i will leave it at that.
#2. Octane it's a tank and will handle any thing.
#3. AAC Tirant Mostly due to CS issues with AAC, If not its a very close 2nd or Tied with Osprey.

Excellent! Thank you.

Full size, non modular, cans is all I'm interested in.

I was told today that even though the AAC TiRant is a take apart design, they're a real [beeep] to take apart, not that it's any big deal to me because every can I currently have is sealed, including my two rimfire cans.

I'm leaning the furthest toward the full size Osprey, except, if I were to put a 460 Rowland barrel on I don't know that the Osprey could handle it and if I were ever to do that, I'd likely need something like the Octane. If you think the full size Osprey could handle the 460 Rowland, forget about, done deal and I'll stop looking.

Tell me more about the SAS Impact. Pros/Cons of going with AL vs Ti?? And, could it handle the 460 Rowland.

Also, full auto rated is a moot point, my state doesn't allow them anyway.
frown.gif

I appreciate your thoughts and knowledge, thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23Excellent! Thank you.

Full size, non modular, cans is all I'm interested in.

I was told today that even though the AAC TiRant is a take apart design, they're a real [beeep] to take apart, not that it's any big deal to me because every can I currently have is sealed, including my two rimfire cans.

I'm leaning the furthest toward the full size Osprey, except, if I were to put a 460 Rowland barrel on I don't know that the Osprey could handle it and if I were ever to do that, I'd likely need something like the Octane. If you think the full size Osprey could handle the 460 Rowland, forget about, done deal and I'll stop looking.

Tell me more about the SAS Impact. Pros/Cons of going with AL vs Ti?? And, could it handle the 460 Rowland.

Also, full auto rated is a moot point, my state doesn't allow them anyway.
frown.gif

I appreciate your thoughts and knowledge, thank you.

Your Welcome.
Glad to help. Feel free to ring me and we can talk over your options.

I have an octane 45 and its awesome. I like the size and user servicibility. Ive used some osprey's too and they are nice, but not my style. I use my octane on glocks and a beretta cx4 9mm...

Good luck. They're all awesome though...!

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerWhat 1911 are you wanting to put it on?

Sig 1911 TACOPS TB (full size)

I think the Octane HD is likely the direction I'll go but I'm still a little on the fence with one or two of the others, as well.

Rangerwalker71, help me out here because I seem to be missing something.

The Octane weighs 12.1oz the SAS Ti version weighs 11.1 & the AL version is something like 8oz (not positive on that maybe you can confirm)

Though the SAS Impact in AL is a few ounces lighter, I'm not sure it will handle what the Ti version will and certainly not what the Octane can.

Yes, no ???

Your correct on the weights, The Impact in AL will not handle the 460 you asked about.
The TI will with out a question. The Impact is quieter because of the baffle design.
You get Wet performance Dry with the Impact.
The Octane is around 30 DB dry and 36-38 wet. Where as the impact is 38 dry. (The DB reduction is based off of posted number from the manufactures.)

So some what lighter, quieter for sure, and will handle the .460 in TI.

Hope this clears it up.
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Steve, have you heard anything about AAC coming out with a new version of the TiRant in the next few months???

What about Sig new SRD 45 suppressor, any word on when they'll start releasing some of those or have they already???

Have you by chance had the opportunity to put your hands on either of the new Sig SRD pistol suppressors yet???

Nothing from sig, Not sure when they will hit the market for real. I may have to just drive over and see if i can demo one. Sig is only 75-90 minutes from me.

Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Nothing from sig, Not sure when they will hit the market for real. I may have to just drive over and see if i can demo one. Sig is only 75-90 minutes from me.

Wellllll giddy up cowboy and head on over there, inquiring minds with OCD are dying to know some first hand information about them!!!
thumbup.gif

I talked to someone today that was impressed with the preproduction one they saw so now I'm OCDing trying to find out more about them.

I know SilencerShop had one they did a test on but I'm not sure if that was a preproduction model and or the exact same as what's going to hit the market in the near future.

Considering it's the old AAC guys I'd sure think it'll be a quality piece.

Steve, I talked to John Hollister (Sig Silencer Product Manager) today and he told me they are in the last stages of manufacture with the SRD's and as soon as the pistons are finished they'll start the process of getting them shipped to the dealers that have them ordered.

From the sounds of it the design of the SRD's will make them pretty durable and from what John told me, he believes they will be equal to the TiRant but .75 inch shorter. All the baffles are 17-4 stainless, not just the blast baffle, and there is no order to how they go back together. No tabs to break because there is no rotational alignment to them and there are no holes to stagger or line up.

They will come with two pistons also.

Originally Posted By: B23Steve, I talked to John Hollister (Sig Silencer Product Manager) today and he told me they are in the last stages of manufacture with the SRD's and as soon as the pistons are finished they'll start the process of getting them shipped to the dealers that have them ordered.

From the sounds of it the design of the SRD's will make them pretty durable and from what John told me, he believes they will be equal to the TiRant but .75 inch shorter. All the baffles are 17-4 stainless, not just the blast baffle, and there is no order to how they go back together. No tabs to break because there is no rotational alignment to them and there are no holes to stagger or line up.

They will come with two pistons also.

Sweet, I was told 2-4 weeks or so from my source, I'll see what i can do to get my hands on one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drop'emSilencerco Osprey hands down

And if I never thought I'd use it on anything but a 45acp, that's already what I'd have ordered but it's not rated for some of the other things I'll be using it for and as good as they look on a 1911, they look equally as bad on AR based stuff.

Back