factors that determine desired barrel length when supressed

17Loony

Looking at purchasing my 1st supressor for a light weight varmint rifle. Initial barrel to be threaded for the suppressor likely to be a 17 Hornet or 17 fireball. when checking out European suppressed videos, my take is reducing barrel length to compensate for the extra length of the suppressor is not as common across the pond as here in the USA.

What say ye. Will I gain anything or loose anything meaningful by reducing say a 23" barrel to 17" to accommodate the extra suppressor length? I do expect to give up 200ish feet per second. For this reason I am leaning towards supressing the 17 Fireball 1st.

It depends on your application.
How far do you shoot?
How good are you at making and compensating for wind calls?

I know Skinny agrees and depending on the application, i agree.
Depending on the caliber and application...going with a shorter barrel will not hurt you.

For example.
Skinny is running a 22-250 at 18" and for predator hunting with an emphasis on film work...there is nothing to lose. It's an absolute hammer at any range that we want to get film footage.
Predator hunting footage beyond 400 yds is not as action packed as it is inside 200...and his skills with calling predators suggests that there is no reason to take shots beyond that range.

Another example.
I built a match rifle this year in a caliber that most would consider a serious barrel burner. It's a 6x284 shooting Berger 105 Hybrids from a 19" heavy barrel. Typically a caliber than can approach 3400fps with typical barrel lengths. However, most matches restrict velocity to 31-3200 fps.
The purpose of the rifle was the keep the velocity at or slightly below that speed in the shortest barrel possible.

With a .17 caliber...if you plan to push the range limits at all...it may be better to keep the velocity, even though the BC will ultimately handicap you in the long run.
If you keep your shots inside the range that you still deliver effective impact energy...then it's imperative that you know your wind drift.

I have a 25" 7mm that I run suppressed for long range work and open country hunting, so the barrel length is of no concern.
I have a 19" that will be used for predators and currently use for matches and can still achieve excellent velocity and ballistics due to the caliber choice.

It really depends on the application. You've gotta realize, that "accross the pond"...they don't hunt like we do very often.

Last edited:
It may matter with a 17 cal. Ive found a few hundred fps makes a difference in bullet performance on coyotes with my 17 rem. If you stay 200 yds or less it prob wouldnt matter though

Learning as I go thanks for the input. I expect 90% of my shooting will fall inside of 200 yards and the barrels I have decided to supress for starters are the 17 fireball. 30 grain Berger BT HP perform so well in the 17 FB at 3600 and with a BC if .280ish I should be able to manage the wind quite well.

Just picked out a 16" H & R Handi in 300 Black out to play with inside of 150 for the most part. we will see how practical this rifle turns out to be. Not sure if I am kidding myself or what. Though I think this blackout and a 6mm Rem will be the 1st bigger bore rifles Ill introduce my son to when the time comes.

suppose I should be looking at a bb gun 1st he is only 5 years old at present
smile.gif

Back