6XC or 243

Cajohn7

I am re barreling a 243 I have. And wondering if anyone has has experience with both. It will be an 1-8 twist so I can shoot longer and heavier bullets. Current barrel is a factory 1-10 twist. Will primaraly used for hunting coyotes and deer. And hopefully some steel. I do not see competing with it anytime soon. I do reload and I see Norma makes 6XC brass. I have been reloading for the 243 already. I have to stay with. 6mm since I have a can for it on the way.

Last edited:
Like Shane said, a 6mm and an 8 twist barrel is a thing of beauty and as he said can't really go wrong

Sounds like you have brass and dies on hand for the 243 so you may want to stay that route for convinience sake

Originally Posted By: Cajohn7I have looked at the 6x47 lapua. Is it not a bit harder on barrels than the 243?

Other way around, 243 burns more powder.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Have you looked at the 6X47 Lapua?

I love the 6mm/243 class...you cant do too wrong with most any chambering in this caliber.

X2 6x47 Lapua is an excellent choice and would be my first pick in that size case choice.

what are you considering longer heavier bullets?
May want to consider a 7.5 twist if you're looking at the longest and heaviest for the caliber...and if that is indeed the case...I would run the 6xc because it will prevent you from running out of room in a blind or box mag.

Now, if you're only looking at 105-108 weight range...the 8 twist is perfect. For a medium game like deer, I would still take the .243 because of what the newer powders are allowing you to do with the cartridge.
If you're looking at predators or want to stick with proven powder...then the xc is a fine choice as well.

Originally Posted By: Cajohn7I have looked at the 6x47 lapua. Is it not a bit harder on barrels than the 243?

Actually less hard. It also has the 30º shoulder that helps decrease brass growth, and the case is shorter, allowing more OAL availability.

My next rifle build will be an 8 twist 6X47 Lapua.

Originally Posted By: cbass16what are you considering longer heavier bullets?
May want to consider a 7.5 twist if you're looking at the longest and heaviest for the caliber...and if that is indeed the case...I would run the 6xc because it will prevent you from running out of room in a blind or box mag.

Now, if you're only looking at 105-108 weight range...the 8 twist is perfect. For a medium game like deer, I would still take the .243 because of what the newer powders are allowing you to do with the cartridge.
If you're looking at predators or want to stick with proven powder...then the xc is a fine choice as well.

I am looking to run only up to the 105-108 weight range. And have run 70's and some 87v-max. And would like to continue using those as well. What are the newer powers you are referring to with the 243. I have used Varget and H4350

Originally Posted By: cbass16what are you considering longer heavier bullets?

True. Of the two the 6xc will allow more room in the mag,,,,,,, but the x47L case is better yet and more efficient.

Originally Posted By: Cajohn7Originally Posted By: cbass16what are you considering longer heavier bullets?

I am looking to run only up to the 105-108 weight range. And have run 70's and some 87v-max. And would like to continue using those as well. What are the newer powers you are referring to with the 243. I have used Varget and H4350

No real new or special powders.
4350 and Rl-17 are tops with Hodgdon H-100v Hybrid being in there as well.

Originally Posted By: Cajohn7
First, let me preface the FACT, that advancements in technology have made it possible to SAFELY achieve velocities we've never seen before in the reloading world. It might have started with Alliant and RL17 a few years back that was getting 200fps more velocity than any powder on the market.

Now with their advent of RL26. People have the ability to push bullets in the 105 class...upwards of 33-3400 fps from a standard .243 and 26" barrel.
This is what makes old school reloaders lose their mind, because typically, this would not be possible without a pressure spike that would turn your rifle into shrapnel.
HOWEVER, the slow as well as, controlled rate of burn allows the pressure spike to be such that it doesn't cause catastrophic failure and it's being done with supurb accuracy and barrel life for what you're getting.

A couple years back, people were considering the .243 a 1000-1500 round caliber due to it being so hard on throats when you push a 105 to speeds over 3000fps.
Now there are multiple people shooting multiple different variants of 6mm cal that are hitting 3400 fps and getting between 12-2500 rounds of accurate barrel life.

NOW, you don't have to push anything that hard...I'm just saying that it IS being done.

Myself for example.
I built a match rifle this season in 6x284 and I'm sending 105 Hybrid Targets at a confirmed 3160 fps from a 19" barrel using RL33, another slow powder for use in overbore calibers or bigger magnums (use it in my 7mm RemMag as well). It's purely because of the powder I'm using.
I am acutely aware that the life of this barrel will be short, but I'm betting a minimum of 1000 rounds before I need to set it back. That will allow me to finish the match season, and then set it back to something different and use it for predators.

Here is the first reports that I saw regarding RL26 and it's possibilities.
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hi...167792634?s=541

Last edited:
I mean no disrepct but to achieve even 3300 fps with a 105gr Berger in a 243 winnie w/26in. tube and any powder listed, requires crazy over pressure loads.

Not saying people haven't loaded some up that hot but it requires a nearly 75,000 psi load of RL26 to achieve it and if you're loading on the lands to where it's just touching, you can add another 7500 to that 75K load. YIKES!

Back