Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#2840178 - 06/20/15 09:11 PM domestic dogs chasing wildlife in NM
6724 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: colorado
my dad thinks it is real fun for his dog to chase animals in new mexico, he claims game warden told him it was legal. i doubt it, but can anyone shed some light on it. both big game and small game?

#2840181 - 06/20/15 09:26 PM Re: domestic dogs chasing wildlife in NM [Re: 6724]
6724 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: colorado
i may have opened up a can of worms, not intentionally.

let me say that this thread is not intended to be a bunch of opinions on the subject, but rather fact and law relating to the state of New Mexico.

#2840550 - 06/22/15 02:56 PM Re: domestic dogs chasing wildlife in NM [Re: 6724]
DesertRam Offline
Director/Moderator

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
I believe there's a general statute against harassing wildlife in NM, but I couldn't find a good reference.

There are pretty strict requirements for using dogs to chase animals in NM as listed in the rule book here. While it doesn't specifically state that you can't let your dog chase wildlife, it provides enough specific conditions that one could infer chasing (an activity not specified) is not allowed.

It would definitely be illegal on NM state land:
Originally Posted By: nmstatelands.org
Prohibited Activities:
1) disturbing, harassing, injuring, destroying or removing wildlife, livestock, or any other animal life;

It appears to be illegal on BLM land as well based on this:
Originally Posted By: Watchable Wildlife page on BLM's NM page
•Never chase or harass wildlife; harassment of wildlife is against the law

#2844065 - 07/07/15 12:36 PM Re: domestic dogs chasing wildlife in NM [Re: 6724]
drscott Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Southwestern NM.
In Grant county we have specific leash laws. The only time a dog can be used to chase game animals is when a licensed hunter is with the pursuit animals. Dogs cannot be used for deer and elk even for blood trailing. Technically your dog should be on a leash even when hiking. I have people all the time complain about there dogs getting caught in traps and the first thing I ask them is if their dog was on a leash. They always say no. So I give them the talk about not complaining about a legal activity when they are the ones breaking the law. I understand letting your dogs off a leash when you are up in the hills but you should be able to control your dog even if unleashed. If you can't don't turn them loose, or don't complain if they don't come home.

drscott

Edited by drscott (07/07/15 12:41 PM)

#2865742 - 09/28/15 08:47 PM Re: domestic dogs chasing wildlife in NM [Re: 6724]
chris112 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: SD
No specific knowledge concerning NM but think your father doesn't know what he is talking about. If the law is the same as here he will wind up with a dead dog and a very large fine. Both he can live without.
Check with the head game wardens office and request an answer in writing.

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.