New Scope!/ Leupold vx-2 6-18x40 review

Andrew06

I recently bought a Leupold vx-2 6-18x40 with LRV reticle.This will primarily be my coyote hunting scope, mounted to my S&W M&P15. I find the scope to be very easy to zero, keeps zero well, and will not fog. The glass compared favorably in my opinion to my Nikon p223 4-12x40, and to the vortex diamondback HP 4-16x44.

I considered the Mark AR 6-18x40, as i really like the mil-dot reticle, and the 223 CDS elevation knob would be kind of fun. It is important to note though, that while these scopes cost the same $550, the Mark AR line uses Multicode 4 glass, which is from the VX-1 line, the Index-matched glass in the VX-2 line is noticibly better. I chose the VX-2 as it seems to put more of my money towards the lenses than the turrets, which is what i wanted to do with it.

I really like the LRV reicle, as it is very fine and unobtrusive. I've had 3 shot groups at 100 that touched eachother, and the reticle did not cover too much for me to be able to see each hole. I have not played with the holdovers, but they are there for fast holdover estimation if needed. Without a range finding or milling reticle, i don't find this to be real exciting.

In summary, this is a $550 scope that is absolutely twice as good as my $200 Nikons and low-end Vortex. I looked through every similarly configured scope under $700, and could not find a better value. The only glass that looked better belonged to a VX-3.

I also call leupold to ask a couple of questions, and they were very friendly and informative, i actually got the impression that the guys that answer the phone also do the work for the custom shop. This experience has made me a fan.

Andrew:

YA....you are getting it.

Leupold is a great American company with a great American-made product that does things right for the consumer for at least the last 65 years.

Their staff does build their scopes and those are the people who take your calls and answer your questions.

I was hunting today with one of their 3x9x33 Compacts I bought new around 1990 and it has held zero since then - 25 years. It's on my lightweight 22/250 and it has killed a lot of groundhogs. Multi-Coat 4 didn't even exist yet when that one was made! (But coatings did). Their scopes today are better than ever.

Back