What exactly is, first round pop?

12Ring

I recently ordered a Silencerco Omega. I just watched a review on the Omega done by silencer shop. They showed the db numbers for all 5 shots. On every 5 shots, the first round was much louder than the next 4 shots. Is that what "first round pop" is? Is that typical for most suppressors or is the Omega lagging in that area? Another question I have is, why would they show db numbers where it is way louder at the shooters ear oppose to the muzzle?

First round pop on all of em... The "brake" on the can may make it louder out to the sides, it's got the coolness factor though.

This is the reason I say know what your buying. I drove 6 hours one way to shoot a whole bunch of cans before buying my very first one. Always test drive before you buy.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThis is the reason I say know what your buying. I drove 6 hours one way to shoot a whole bunch of cans before buying my very first one. Always test drive before you buy.

Yeah well I didn't and I'm second guessing my decision already. Its only been a week since the form 3 was done but i dont know if its to late to change my mind.

It all just depends on what you want it to do. If it fits the parameters of what your wanting then go with it. Yes, there are cans that have no noticeable FRP but when a can is full of Oxygen it is more prevalent on the cans that have it than those that don't. What I am saying is all cans with fresh air have a little louder report. Some are a lot more noticeable than others. Hope that makes sense.

I like the fact you can replace the built in muzzle brake with a flat end cap on the omega. I havent seen any data shooting omega with the 7.62 flat end cap but 5.56 with 5.56 end cap definitely decreases db levels at muzzle and shooters ear from what ive seen.

Link to 30 Caliber Suppressor Comparison:

Originally Posted By: 12RingOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThis is the reason I say know what your buying. I drove 6 hours one way to shoot a whole bunch of cans before buying my very first one. Always test drive before you buy.

Yeah well I didn't and I'm second guessing my decision already. Its only been a week since the form 3 was done but i dont know if its to late to change my mind.

Too late to second guess now ! Just kiddin. I have an Omega on the way as well, although I ordered mine 6 Feb. 7 weeks on the form 3 (ouch), Then the real wait begins.

I took a gamble, as it was unavailable for testing at the time I purchased mine, but with some out and about now, and reviews comin to the front, I believe this to be an excellent can.

I also ordered a Element 2 .22 can at the same time. From what I hear these have a very minimal FRP.

I can't wait for mine to get out of jail. Both should be in my hands in the next few months. (fingers crossed) Realistically August. I'll let you know what I think about Omega.

As long as I get it before deer season I'll be ecstatic.

here is the technical version:
"First round pop is caused when the superheated carbon monoxide and the unburned particulates in the combustion gas combine with the oxygen in the suppressor to cause a secondary combustion in the suppressor itself. After several shots have been fired, most of the oxygen has been used up and the shots get quieter due to less of this secondary combustion. There are several ways to avoid or reduce FRP. One of the most common is to use a coolant in the suppressor (water, oil or grease) that vaporize with each shot and cool the combustion gases below their flash point. Another way is to remove all the oxygen from the suppressor before firing the shot by injecting non-combustion supporting gas into the suppressor e.g. CO2, or a third way is to design the baffles etc. to either cool the gas or contain the secondary combustion sound. Some suppressors are much better at containing the FRP than others."

Not all cans have a first round pop. My SAS cans don't, TBAC doesn't as well.
My SS Sparrow doesn't, SWR SpectreII doesn't.

Osprey does, depending on ammo.

Some has to due with brake and some with Air temp. I've had more issues with extreme colds, then warmer weather.

Originally Posted By: skinneyFirst round pop on all of em...

The above is referring to all the first shots taken with the Omega...

I've noticed a very distinct first round pop with the first gen SS Sparrow on handguns, I haven't ran the newer Sparrow with the "upgraded" baffles though.

I've also ran the SRT line, including the V.A.P.R in conditions well below -20 with no noticeable first round pop.

IMHO, "especially" in a hunting scenario, a first round pop and first round POI shift, defeats my purpose... So does adding liquid to bypass an otherwise not so effective baffle design, but hey if it's raining when you're calling, funnel a little fluid up in there and no worries
wink.gif

Now if your just hitting up the range, or want one for hearing pro, that's another story.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: skinneyFirst round pop on all of em...

The above is referring to all the first shots taken with the Omega...

I've noticed a very distinct first round pop with the first gen SS Sparrow on handguns, I haven't ran the newer Sparrow with the "upgraded" baffles though.

I've also ran the SRT line, including the V.A.P.R in conditions well below -20 with no noticeable first round pop.

IMHO, "especially" in a hunting scenario, a first round pop and first round POI shift, defeats my purpose... So does adding liquid to bypass an otherwise not so effective baffle design, but hey if it's raining when you calling, funnel a little fluid up in there and no worries
wink.gif

Now if your just hitting up the range, or want one for hearing pro, that's another story.

I agree, the SS sparrow has no FRP.
For hunting I agree, poi shift and FRP make having a can worthless. SAS, and TBAC Have neither,
Buy once cry once.

So is the FRP going to cause the first shot to have a different poi? Or can it have FRP and not have a different poi? Know I'm more stressed than I was before. F. I almost went with the thunderbeast ultra 7" too. Shiz!

Originally Posted By: 12RingSo is the FRP going to cause the first shot to have a different poi? Or can it have FRP and not have a different poi? Know I'm more stressed than I was before. F. I almost went with the thunderbeast ultra 7" too. Shiz!

That's going to depend on the can, some cans have a POI shift and a first round pop, some have a POI shift and no first round pop, vice versa, or some have neither.

Originally Posted By: Kino MAnd next lesson or discussion is cold bore shift.....

Yes sir, all our LRI Mod 0's have a short heavy contour for rigidity, heavy or light can, no shift... Although I have ran more than a few that had shifts, one particular can with keyhole baffles that were not staggered and no matter what, always had a flier, although it was always repeatable... Every SRT can we run including the V.A.P.R. doesn't need x amount of rounds to settle it before holding zero, thread it, snug it, and go to work, first round same as the others...
It's also important to make note your Rifle isn't the cause of the cold bore, before you start making assumptions that your can is the culprit...
Lots of scenarios can be put into this, for example I had a buddy with a RRA AR that had a first round flier all the time, every time, but we put a can on and the flier was minimal enough to not worry about out to the distances we were shooting.
I've also had a factory rifles with a cold bore shift, with and without the can... Fixed it by having a custom barrel / blueprint work done. Of course you still need to know it's possible with a custom rifle to still have a CB flier.

When I encounter a rifle with a cold bore shot that is away from the rest of the shots, it gets sent down the road. Confidence with a gun like that for me drops way way too low to use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fredhorace77When I encounter a rifle with a cold bore shot that is away from the rest of the shots, it gets sent down the road. Confidence with a gun like that for me drops way way too low to use.

On down the road is correct!! Its amazing the amount of people that have no clue about coldbore shift or even if their rifle has one!

Back