Montana to allow hunting big game

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSCan you hunt coyotes currently in Montana with supressors?

Yes coyotes and vermin can be hunted suppressed.

YOU NEED to recheck that!!!
You currently can OWN a suppresser with a permit in Montana . You can not USE a suppresser in Mt.
You can only use a suppresser IN an INDOOR shooting range
The Minute you step out you better have the suppresser removed.
NO YOU CAN NOT USE A SUPPRESSER ON COYOTES !!!!

"The bill requires one more vote before going back to Bullock and becoming law."

Thanks Jetman I was grossly misinformed at the gun counter last week.
blush.gif

Jetman, you are misinformed about suppressor use in the state of MT. You absolutely can use a suppressor outdoors in MT and shoot non-game species with suppressed rifles.

From Gem-Tech:
"Non-game animals legal
PREVIOUS LAW: 87-3-123. Use of silencers or mufflers on firearms forbidden. No person may take into a field or forest or have in his possession while out hunting any device or mechanism devised to silence, muffle, or minimize the report of any firearms, whether such device or mechanism be operated from or attached to any firearm.
NOTE: The above (former) law was partially repealed via Section 120, through Senate Bill 124, 04/21/11 Section 120. Repealer: The following sections of the Montana Code Annotated are repealed: "87-3-123. Use of silencers or mufflers on firearms forbidden." This legalizes the use of suppressors in the field or forest for all activities except hunting."

Gem-Tech

I actually read where they passed game animals as well as coyotes. Read that within the last 30 days..... I'll find it and post before I can swear to it but I'm positive you can for coyotes. Jetman you need to research as these laws are rapidly changing for the better across the country.

I do try to stay abreast on stuff like this. Unless there has been a change in THIS current legislation year I'd call and talk with a warden on this . As far as I have seen it's still all up in the air, nothing on the books. Check it out first and save a lot of litigation later...Just saying!!!

Jetman, you are spreading incorrect information. I posted the actual Senate bill number from 2011 that legalized everything but hunting with suppressors. The current bill will legalize hunting with suppressors; shooting non-game and predators is not considered hunting in the eyes of MT FWP (this is spelled out quite obviously on the FWP website and regulations).

First and foremost, AWESOME!!! I'll be moving up next month and have been keeping and eye on SB295! I was so stoked to see this!

Second off, Jetman is wrong. I have personally called (more than once) to confirm this. As Timberbeast stated, Montana FWP does not consider coyotes game animals and therefore they are not regulated by the "hunting" laws.

I read the proposed changes to Montana law that would make suppressed rifles legal in some instances. So, I'm not disputing that the Montana state legislature might have changed the law to make it legal to use suppressed rifles on non-game animals and coyotes. However, I'd advise anyone who intends on using a suppressor in Montana to contact MT Game & Fish and if they say it is legal to use a suppressed rifle on non-game animals and coyotes, have them put that in writing, sign it, and send it to you. What some person said over the phone may not be cut in stone--BE CAREFUL.

Suppressors are already legal in Montana. The only thing they are not legal for is hunting and MT FWP clearly defines what is and is not hunting.

From MTFWP enforcement on suppressor legalities for predators

Sir,

I have tried to amend this law the last three sessions to simply further clarify once and for all your very question pertaining to the take of wildlife that are not specifically regulated by the state statutes. The amendments have been rejected each session. As you indicate, suppressors are legal to own and utilize if you have the federal tax paperwork to go with them. If you include the definition of "hunt" as applied by the current state statute, suppressors can be utilized for any wildlife not protected by the laws of this state which would include predators. However you must still have permission of a private landowner for any form of hunting in Montana. I suspect the efforts to apply the suggested amendments as well as HB 205 being vetoed in its entirely last session, has led to different interpretations of applying the existing suppressor law. I hope this helps jk -Jim Kropp

Last edited:
Quote:If you include the definition of "hunt" as applied by the current state statute, suppressors can be utilized for any wildlife not protected by the laws of this state which would include predators.

seems crystal to me

Originally Posted By: phutch30 Quote:If you include the definition of "hunt" as applied by the current state statute, suppressors can be utilized for any wildlife not protected by the laws of this state which would include predators.

seems crystal to me

Makes sense!

Back