Direct Thread or QD?

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresI was shooting my own reloads in 20 Tac with 35g Bergers. They appeared to shoot fine without the can. I didn't notice any keyholes, but to be honest the groups at 50 were tiny so I didn't really check. I have been hunting with this upper multiple times and always hit what I was pointing at, but this was minus the can. I will check all of this close when everything gets back here before I screw the can back on.

Mike at DTech also suggested I purchase some caliber specific rods that fit in the barrel with a centering fixture and then screw on the can to see if it's all squared up. I forget what he called them. He said they were around $40 each caliber. Anyone know what theses are called.

If Its the 20 TAC that I originally had, It was threaded by Dtech and I told him it was for the QD can, and I ran a can on it with no problem.

Jason

Ok, that's good information to know. Thanks Jason. Every little bit of info I can gather will help me figure this out.

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresOk, that's good information to know. Thanks Jason. Every little bit of info I can gather will help me figure this out.

from what I have read its a QD mount can.. The manufacture should have there own thread specs, some mounts may need different depths of threads or need to square up on shoulder or muzzle. Lots of variables. Be sure they follow there specs for there mount.

Jason

This is the DT version. It has inserts for either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24. I measured the threads on the Tac 20 and they were 1/2x28. Still waiting on Mike to see what his thoughts are.

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresThis is the DT version. It has inserts for either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24. I measured the threads on the Tac 20 and they were 1/2x28. Still waiting on Mike to see what his thoughts are.

I think I see now. You install a insert in the can for witch ever thread is on your gun, Then thread it on the gun. Am I right?

Jason

is this the can?

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-sportsman-dt.html

Last edited:
Yep, that's it.

Mike just called and he said the threads appeared to be cross threaded and very sloppy fitting. That's most likely my problem. He Is going to fit a bushing over the old threads and start over. Hopefully this was my problem.

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresYep, that's it.

Mike just called and he said the threads appeared to be cross threaded and very sloppy fitting. That's most likely my problem. He Is going to fit a bushing over the old threads and start over. Hopefully this was my problem.

That would be one problem I would see with a direct thread can, One day cross threading it. But that aside one thing I would check Is the run out on the insert. You may have sent it back with the can but if you did not, I am sure Mike could check that. He could also put a insert on the barrel without the can and check the run out that way. You never know, you could have had a bad insert that caused the cross threading and the misalignment...

Jason

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresYep, that's it.

This is another reason why I am such a big fan of the TOMB system over direct thread as your rifle would be in service while you was sent a new brake/flashhider. Hope you get it lined out and back in business soon!

Back