Kids and Cottontails

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
(Note: with luck, I mastered Photobucket and these pictures are oriented right for others. Nope. I don't get it - they're right in PB, but come over here rotated. I'm liking PB less and less all the time... Might be a cache issue, but I'm tired of messing with it tonight.)

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I was able to relive my youth vicariously through my two older kids as they hunted cottontail rabbits with their grandfather (my dad). I fondly recall spending winter afternoons bouncing around with Gramps in his old Ford pickup with a single shot .22 looking for bunnies hiding in the sage. Well, Gramps is long gone, but his hunting legacy lives on in his grandson (me) and great-grandkids (my kids).

In order to fit everyone's busy schedule, we planned our family's Thanksgiving festivities for Friday afternoon. That left us some free time on Thursday, so my dad and I decided to take my three kids out for a quick bunny hunt. With their trusty Savage Rascals, they were each able to kill two nice fat cottontails before it got dark. My 11-year old daughter was up first and got this little guy.
Regan27Nov2014FirstRabbit-_zps6a9da665.jpg

Then my nine-year old son had his turn and got this one, making a perfect head shot at 27 yards with his peep-sighted rifle.
Erik27Nov2014FirstRabbit-_zps319d8dbc.jpg

Then we switched back to my girl and she got another.
Regan27Nov2014SecondRabbit-_zps065f2ced.jpg

Then my little buddy rounded out the evening with another great shot on this little furball.
Erik27Nov2014SecondRabbit-_zpsa0d04c48.jpg

My youngest daughter, who's just five, wanted to get in on the action, but since she hasn't done hunter safety or mentored youth, she had to be content with shooting some cans and posing with her brother, sister, and Papa, who she was hamming it up with (note the goofy grins).
ReganErikSarahPapa27Nov2014Rabbits-_zps333ed59e.jpg

That evening, their cousin (my middle brother's son) was a little put out that we'd gone bunny blasting without him, so we just had to commit to another rabbit later in the weekend.
grin.gif
That chance came Saturday morning. We sat for a while in the duck blind, but there was little action, so we swapped the waders for the hiking boots and headed out into the sage and rabbit brush to see if we could find some more cottontails.

The kids rotated through shot opportunities, and each got at least one bunny that morning.

My daughter got these two.
Regan29Nov2014FirstRabbit-_zpsadf36543.jpg

Regan29Nov2014SecondRabbit-_zps78a7d0c6.jpg

My son got this one.
Erik29Nov2014Rabbit-_zps996c7141.jpg

This picture of him proudly carrying it to the truck to show Papa really reminded me of the times I did the same with my grandpa.
Erik29Nov2014RabbitToTruck-_zps5d66018d.jpg

Their cousin used his little T/C to make a great shot on this fuzzy little guy.
William29Nov2014Rabbit-_zps720d5cc4.jpg

By the time we called it quits, five more bunnies had been added to the larder. Here they are, along with the happy hunters.
ErikWilliamRegan29Nov2014Rabbits-_zps229ced15.jpg

And of course, we had to get Papa in a picture!
ErikWilliamReganPaul29Nov2014Rabbits-_zps7de04aae.jpg

All in all, some great memories were made chasing these little critters through the brush. Makes one really appreciate the simple hunts, and time spent with family simply enjoying the great outdoors and all its majesty.

Last edited:
This! This story is what it is all about! Every last one of these pics each kid is smiling ear to ear... This is the future of our tradition... My kids started out with the 22 cricket... Not sure what rifles they are holding but I still got my kid's little cricket... Very nice
thumbup1.gif

Thanks Infidel. You're right - you can't beat those grins!

My two kids are shooting Savage Rascals. Gotta love those Accutriggers and peep sights. I'm sure they'd be downright deadly with scopes, but the kids have to shoot open sights for 4-H. My nephew is shooting a little T/C, like a baby Encore. I'm not sure what its' called, but it's a pretty accurate little booger, and he shoots it well. I'm considering a Ruger 10-22 for my daughter now that she's a bit older and has a couple years of shooting under her belt. If ammo was as readily available as it was five years ago, it'd already be a done deal.

When my daughter went from the cricket to 10-22 I bought one of those cheap drugunov stocks... I cut part of the stock off and padded it... The only thing about the 10-22 and kids, is you can wear your thumb out fast reloading for them;)

Great story, photos and all. Love it. Strong believer in starting them out with a single shot. Infidel if you think loading mags for them is bad with the 10/22, don't ever buy them a Ruger Mk II pistol. Your thump will be bleeding.

Congrats to all for a fine hunt!!

Side note:
I fondly remember my first journeys into hunting bunnies.
I started out (with supervision) using my Gramps' old single-shot .410, on cottontails & a few unlucky jack rabbits.
In fact, the first jack I took is one of my favorite memories.
Spotted a jack sitting & sunning on a cold December morning, as we drove thru a pasture. I remember pleading with Dad to stop...which he reluctantly did.
As Gramps & I eased out of the truck, he handed me his .410.
I got to the rear of the truck, just as the jack took off running. In the background, I could hear both men telling me not to waste the shot, because they didn't think I would hit it.
I purposely aimed that old shotgun just in front of the rabbit, as I had been taught. POW!!!
That jack rolled to a stop, quite dead!!!
Amazed, my Grandpa stepped off (large steps) from where I stood, to where the hare laid. I remember the very shocked look on his face, as he turned to my Dad, and stated, "He just killed that jack at 57 yards!!! With a single shot!!!"

Back