Caliber selection for Suppressed AR

JakeM

Not sure how long the Suppressed section of the forum has been around but I just noticed it and it has really helped with several questions I have.

Reading recently has prompted me to ask the question of which caliber will benefit the most from a suppressor?

Basically, will a 204 going 4k+ benefit at all from a suppressor as opposed to a 223 going 3000-3300?

My purposes are for predator hunting 300 yards and in where suppressed sound, not necessarily silenced, will help me make more stands within the hills of Tennessee for cats and yotes without booming them into Kentucky.

This is a new world to me, I haven't even looked into the legal steps that Ill have to take to go through with it.

Basically, I am looking for a small caliber AR for medium ranges to thump critters in a fur friendly manner. So I didn't know if rounds that depend on speed like the 17's and 204 would see any real reduction in sound with a suppressor.

Thanks for helping a new guy out.

Jake

Jake

You will want to get a 223 can for best suppression for those calibers. Yes it is worth it. 204 barks pretty good and the only thing left with a quality suppressor will be the bullet crack.

Tenn is Suppressor friendly.
smile.gif
PM inbound with info on a Tenn dealer.

I have been thinking the same thing. I really want an ar platform, just not 223. Got a 22-250 bolt gun. so iam looking real hard at 204 in ar.let me know how things turn out.

Right now I have 1- 30 cal can that I shoot the following through

17 wch
17 fireball
20 BR
204 R
20 VT
223 AI
6x47
6mmDTI ( AR )
and soon a 7 Rifle Golf

I'm hoping to adding another AR this summer

Don't limit yourself to a 22cal can nor a direct thread as there is much better options. I run a 30 cal can on my 300 winmag, my 6.8SPC AR and 22cal ARs. It works AWESOME, especially if you can only afford one can. Look at the Reaper TI and TOMB made by suppressed armament systems. Don't be fooled by thinking theres a big loss in perfomance in shooting a 30 cal can on a 22cal because there is VERY little difference...

Back