One suppressor for a variety of calibers

6mm06

Today I was in a local gun shop that carries suppressors and was the first time I have looked more seriously at them. I have the bug like a lot of others, but don't know enough at this point to know what to get.

The guy in the store showed me a Silencerco Harvester 30 caliber can for my list of possible rifles to use it on. To my surprise, it was rather light weight, and the price was something I could more easily afford ($529). My initial caliber list includes a 7mmSTW and 6mm06, both Remington Senderos, and my CZ 527 Varmint .17 Remington. Most likely I would use it on the .17 Rem the most, but would be nice to use on the others as well when the need arises. I also have a Dtech AR (20" barrel) in 6x45 that could find some use with it.

So, I'm basically searching for some advice and to learn more, and basically for just some good discussion for the sake of learning. I have questions in my mind as to using the Silencerco Harvestor as opposed to some other model or brand that may cost a lot more. I see that some suppressors are double the price, and one question I have is, are they worth the difference for hunting situations.

Then also, if using a 30 caliber can, would it serve me well with the .17 Rem and the 6x45 considering the larger can size? Will I lose much suppression on the smaller calibers with a 30 caliber can? If I understand correctly from the reading I have done so far, there is some decrease in suppression when using a larger can, but will it be so much as to really matter?

If you are going to Hunt with it get a 30 cal can for all. If you can afford it get a 30 cal and a 5.56 can for better suppression on small calibers. I used a 30 call on everything when I started and it worked fine but not optimal, now i have MANY for about every weapon and situation. If you can get a 30 cal 5.56 cal and a 22LR can all at once. You will thank me.

Just say NO to aluminum if your going to shoot the He(double tooth picks) out of it.
smile.gif

Thanks 3D. I don't think I'll be shooting one a lot, just mainly sighting or checking zero occasionally, and some minimal hunting. I think some groundhog shooting from time to time would see the most use.

As to a 5.56 can, and considering cost, what do you recommend?

Also, if I want to use the can on my 6x45, since it's a 6mm caliber, what options do I have?

I am a Hunter and long range Competition shooter and I am a Thunderbeast Homer because I get the best of both worlds with those cans. I do have others but these are my favorites. The others are used in different situations then these two listed.

Thunderbeast builds cans for accuracy at distance, its what they do. For the money and product any of the Titanium Thunderbeast Arms cans are worth every penny. https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/

The new Ultra 7 would do great for everything hunting at 9.7 ounces. The ultra 9 if you don't mind the extra length for more suppression at 11.9 ounces, a few more ounces for direct thread.
The Ti 5.56 Precision can would do great for everything in 22 cal and down in centerfire.
223CB or 223P-2 https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/

Use the Ultra series on 6X45

Lots of good and bad can designs out there, so test drive anything you are thinking about buying and know what your getting.
Hunting you want no cold bore shift as you may get one or two shots. EVERY round goes threw same hole. 1-20 if you shoot that many in a row.

Test Drive is very important. Shoot them like your going to when you take it home. It will keep you from buying a crap can and being disappointed later.

The Thunderbeast suppressirs look very nice.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on the Silencerco?

I bought a 30P-1 TBAC just before the SilencerCo harvester came out. No regrets but for the price and how much shooting it sounds like you'll do that would be a good cheaper option!

I guess I am biased since I do consulting, training and demos for SAS but they have a LOT to offer and with the TOMB system it makes it very easy to use on all your rifles. My personal choice is the Reaper Ti for hunting. Its a 30 cal, 7", 10oz. titanium and been on the market for several years as well as the TOMB system, (which TBAC copied this year and even tried calling it a TOMB) It offers great sound reduction as well as little if any POI shift and is totally repeatable and SUPER accurate. They have many other models as well and lots of new stuff coming out this year.

Originally Posted By: Kino MI guess I am biased since I do consulting, training and demos for SAS

You have to be since you work for them. I don't work for any one in the suppressor market.

A buddy and I have spent more time doing demos on all kinds and makes of suppressors for existing and preferred customers than I care to even try to number. My opinion is based on rounds fired through everyone's cans. I have my favorites.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: Kino MI guess I am biased since I do consulting, training and demos for SAS

You have to be since you work for them. I don't work for any one in the suppressor market.

A buddy and I have spent more time doing demos on all kinds and makes of suppressors for existing and preferred customers than I care to even try to number. My opinion is based on rounds fired through everyone's cans. I have my favorites.
smile.gif

I make no bones about whom I represent. With that said, EVERY comment I make I'll gladly back up with facts and data and will gladly debate with anyone. Just because I help SAS some doesn't mean my morals are for sale so DON'T go down that road. I also come to conclusions by testing, training and thousands of rounds down range, both before I retired as an infantryman for many years but also as a civilian. That includes SAS cans and to many other brands to count.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Does anyone have experience or thoughts on the Silencerco?

Hey 6mm,

I shot the new Silencerco Omega at SHOT this year and it's great. They are advertising it as the lightest, shortest, quietest 30 cal can on the market. I don't know if that's true, but I do know Silencerco makes super products and the Omega had an excellent sound to it. I bought the .22 cal Sparrow when it came out and I love it. It has a smart design and it's quiet.

They also had the Salvo (shotgun silencer) at the same bay and that was awesome to shoot.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleKinoM,
Can you hunt with a suppressor in Indiana?

Yes Sir. They just passed it in 14'

Thanks everybody.

Sendit, thanks for the info on the Silencerco suppressors. I like the idea of having the Sparrow too. The Omega looks good and no doubt it is. However, it is roughly twice the cost of the Harvester. I wonder if it delivers twice the performance, especially for my needs. For roughly the same money, or close, I could purchase both the Harvester and the Sparrow.

One other question I have is this. When submitting the ATF form and doing the trust, can a guy submit and list more than one suppressor on that form and on the trust, or does it have to be per item. In other words, will I have to do a complete form, ATF tax money, trust etc. for each suppressor? Or can I group them together in one transaction if I want more than one suppressor? As you can tell, I don't know beans about this stuff, so this is very much a learning curve for me.

if you plan on using a can on rimfire, you'll want one dedicated for it. you have to maintain them as they will lead up if you dont. so generally speaking rimfire cans are user serviceable

as a fellow sparrow owner i can tell you i appreciate that inner liner clamshell they encase the baffle core in. it makes disassembly after a long day plinking very easy.

very happy with mine, now we just need to get michigan to do what our neighboring states have done and pass suppressed hunting laws and i'll be twice as happy about it
smile.gif

One other question I have is this. When submitting the ATF form and doing the trust, can a guy submit and list more than one suppressor on that form and on the trust, or does it have to be per item. In other words, will I have to do a complete form, ATF tax money, trust etc. for each suppressor? Or can I group them together in one transaction if I want more than one suppressor? As you can tell, I don't know beans about this stuff, so this is very much a learning curve for me.

All done with one Trust... BUT you must submit a separate form 4 for each suppressor, and pay a 200.00 tax per form 4 that you submit... Hope this helps.

I like the idea of having the Sparrow too.

If looking at 22LR cans dont forget the SWR Spectre II by silencerco also. It is a touch quieter and has no first round pop due to the different baffle system and just as easy to clean.
smile.gif

Thanks everybody.

Sendit, thanks for the info on the Silencerco suppressors. I like the idea of having the Sparrow too. The Omega looks good and no doubt it is. However, it is roughly twice the cost of the Harvester. I wonder if it delivers twice the performance, especially for my needs. For roughly the same money, or close, I could purchase both the Harvester and the Sparrow.

I am a silencerCo fan my self. I sell many of their cans and it's what I use on my rigs. Their customer service is awesome and the repairs are back in the Mail within 48 hrs of them receiving it. Their no BS warranty is kick [beeep] too!

The harvester is a fantastic suppressor. It is prefect for precision shooting. It is a little different than the omega in that its only direct thread, it's not Full auto rated and it's not meant for SBR 16" and below. So if you are doing precision hunting/shooting, and not full auto or sustained rapid fire shooting or SBR, then save yourself some cash and go with the harvester. Especially for the price, it's hard to beat.

Holler at me if you are looking for suppressors. I can usually beat silencer shops prices

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: 6mm06
I like the idea of having the Sparrow too.

If looking at 22LR cans dont forget the SWR Spectre II by silencerco also. It is a touch quieter and has no first round pop due to the different baffle system and just as easy to clean.
smile.gif

While I cant compare to the Sparrow, I also have the SWR Spectre II and love it.

Back