YHM Phantom Titanium 3300? Lil help?

Varminterror

I'm looking to get another can, and after seeing a few things the last few years, I'm leaning towards titanium/iconel, and flash hider mounted (rather than direct thread).

So enter the YHM Phantom Titanium 3300... Seems to have what I want, and price seems reasonable enough.

Any opinions on this can? I'm not looking for dead silence or super compact, just something for fun and to protect my ears when hunting.

At the same time, I'm planning on one can for multiple rifles, 223, 243, 6.8, and sometimes 300wm. I'm HALF considering getting two more 'cheaper' suppressors instead of one expensive one. I had pretty good life on my last one (another YHM), but I'm hearing that the flash hider models and the titanium have MUCH better life.

So, YHM titanium vs. a SS or CS model that's about half of the price (not including the stamps)?

That very same model was my very first suppressor purchase and I regret the heck out of it to be honest. After you figure in that giant steel mount, it's far from light weight or small. I also overrated the QD thing. Adapters are expensive and the time savings when swapping barrels is only a few seconds (literally). While not QD, I think there are better cans out there for less money.

After that can, I bought another 308 can and a 223 can and the cost of those 2 cans combines was less than the YHM.

Last edited:

I have the first version of the YHM Ti Phantom 762 QD. The QD Tactical is a new titanium unit they make and I would go with this if I was to buy another can. Lighter and shorter than the Phantom QD and they claim better sound suppression. You can find them online for less than $900. 762 will run on 308 or smaller caliber.

If I find myself with a $1k burning a hole in my wallet I might get one anyway.

http://yhm.net/30-cal-ultra-light-tactical.html

This is a new unit that I like made by Silencerco. Direct thread and QD capability in one can. About the same price and size as the YHM Tactical titanium.

http://www.silencerco.com/products/omega/

** Let me qualify this post with a disclaimer that my knowledge about suppressors is very limited. I am sure some of the experienced guys will weigh in. All I care about is running thru a 15 round mag on a sounder of hogs and not being deaf for 2 days and not having to go to the next county to find the ones I missed. (that's usually most of the ones I shot at)

Last edited:
My hunting buddy is running the Silencerco Omega on his SIG 716 7.62mm piston gas gun and it works great for the price.

I purchased the YHM-33300-ti also. Not because it was the most effective but because I was able to hear one in use in the field. Although I struggled with the fact that the FH ate up a lot of the weight savings of the titanium, I'm actually glad I went QD. It is getting used on multiple firearms, none of which have to be super light. (Don't use a suppressor if you want super light in the first place.) It may not be a factor but screwing the suppressor on and off of direct threads may eventually cause some wear-not a factor unless you are taking multiple rifles to the range or the pd/sagerat fields like we do here and changing them out often to cool barrels. As blopez said, it is expensive to buy the FH's for every gun. If I had the funds to buy multiple suppressors (Like blopez ended up doing.), I'd definitely go with direct-thread suppressors. It is no doubt the lightest way to go. Good luck. You're gonna love shooting suppressed.

One reason I'm looking at the 3300 rather than the tactical is that I use it on 30-06 and 300WM's, and I'm assuming that the larger can handle that better than the compact.

~$100 for each flash hider for each rifle is kinda steep, but cheaper than $800 + $200 stamp for each rifle.

Whatever I pick up, I'll be getting two of them. The YHM we have now is not happy, and it only lets us shoot one rifle at a time. Sharing between my wife and I gets old, so we're going to get one for each of us, plus 2 or 3 mounts for each of us to put on our respective rifles. Get around $3000 into the whole caboodle, rather than $6k into 6 cans.

Plus, I'm kinda disappointed by the "consumable" life of my non-titanium can, so even if I bought one direct mount for every rifle, I'd plan for titaniums.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOne reason I'm looking at the 3300 rather than the tactical is that I use it on 30-06 and 300WM's, and I'm assuming that the larger can handle that better than the compact.

Verm... it might be the other way around. The 4300 Ti Tactical is a new design. Shorter, Lighter, Cheaper, Same 39 Db sound reduction and SBR rated.

Take a closer look.

BTW.....the Silencerco Omega unit specifies 300 WM rated.

http://www.silencerco.com/products/omega/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VarminterrorPlus, I'm kinda disappointed by the "consumable" life of my non-titanium can, so even if I bought one direct mount for every rifle, I'd plan for titaniums.

I haven't "used up" a suppressor yet. So, out of curiosity, how did you know when your can was done? Sounds like you're on the right track with your plan.

I have a 30 yhm qd phantom and a direct thread titanium phantom. The weight is huge plus and if I could do it again I would have got my 556 phantom suppressor in ti as well. As far as the suppressors I love mine. The plain phantoms are a brick but they have been great.

Originally Posted By: tt35Originally Posted By: VarminterrorPlus, I'm kinda disappointed by the "consumable" life of my non-titanium can, so even if I bought one direct mount for every rifle, I'd plan for titaniums.

I haven't "used up" a suppressor yet. So, out of curiosity, how did you know when your can was done? Sounds like you're on the right track with your plan.

TT, sorry I missed getting back on this thread for so long!

I may or may not have tried building a few suppressors when I had access to a machine shop in high school and college, with stacked baffle designs, and may or may not have burned up a few baffles by running AR's and SKS's full rattle trap. So when I bought a commercial version, I kind of expected that.

I could see the baffle erosion a lot earlier than it starts being noticeable in volume, but there comes a day when I had to grab ear plugs even with the can in place. Pin gauge through the baffles shows they're opened up, and the first baffle has a swiss cheese look to it like it was bead blasted through from the back.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see Skinny's (I think it was his?) thread a few years ago about the YHM flash hider mounted suppressor and improved survive-ability of the first baffle when using a flash hider mount (which makes sense, since it's a much larger decompression chamber so the gas slows down before impinging the first baffle - why didn't I think of that before?!?!).

So it's kinda right on the edge for me. For what they cost, I'm on the brink of being able to justify fixing up my grandpa's old lathe and building my own with the appropriate forms to build my own rather than buying commercial units. If a guy spun 3 or 4 cans with 10 or 20 replacement baffles, there could be thousands and thousands of irresponsible mag dumps before they ever ran out.

I have not, admittedly, talked to YHM about repair on mine. It's not as loud as naked muzzle, but it's not in the same ballpark as it was when new.

Back