Rimfire questions

spiderman

I live in Iowa and suppressors look to be coming down the road. The hunting I do the most is daytime coon calling with my Bmag. We also use HMRs and .22 mags. My scope is 2-6 power and question one is , at low power , will I see the suppressor image in the scope? 2, The Bmag I have is the skinny barrel and the diameter is quite small . Do suppressors come with different sizes of threads for attachment and if not , can barrels have a threaded "sleeve" installed to size up the diameter ? And lastly , any recommendations for suppressors for .17 WSM ,HMR ? As like everyone , I would like to keep the cost , length , and weight down to minimum . And is there different considerations if it is shared with max .22 caliber and 204/223 center fires ? Thanks to all who take time to answer. Jim

I'm no expert but I will try and help some. A 22 can normally is a Take Apart suppressor so you can clean out the lead that accumulates with un-coated bullets. A 22 can is usually shorter and smaller in diameter than one designed for a high powered rifle. When I purchased my first can for my DTech 20 Tac I asked all these questions too. My barrel is 22" long and the can is another 8" and I don't see the can in my scope using 2.5 power on the low end. This is on an AR, but I have no experience with a low mounted scope on a 22. The threads on a high powered can are usually 5/8ths X 24 or 1/2 X 28 threads, not sure if they are smaller on a 22 can. So basically I was told to get a 30 cal can for high velocity rounds and get a 22 specific can for the 22. Hope this helps a little.

Skinny should be here soon and he is a much better authority that I on this subject.

Spider, don't get to wound up about it yet. Sounds like Gronstal is really dragging his feet on allowing a vote on it. He is also using the same BS that in the bill there is a provision to do away with the pistol purchase permit and he has puked up that it will allow people to buy guns with no background check. I hope that we can get the right info out to him and other like him and set him straight. But he is vary set in his ways. As far as being able to see the modifier through the scope on low power. I don't think it will affect you. Try taking a piece of 1" or 1 1/2" piece of plastic tube on the end of your barrel and see if you can see it. I have been emailing him and others about every other day to show my support for the bill to get voted on. It passed the house but he won't bring it up in the senate for vote.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have an Umarex Octane pellet gun and when I set the scope way down I can see the "suppressor" so was wondering about that. I also wondered about the suppressor bill when I saw the other items tied along with it. I know that if it passes , then the laws have to be changed to allow hunting with them and then wait for the law to take effect but sure would like to hunt with one.
Jim

Spider, the way that I have read the bill is that "IF" passed it would take affect on July 1st and you would be allowed to hunt with it as long as you are legal to own one. But it is Gronstal that is the only one that is not allowing it to be brought up for a vote. All that I have contacted have given there support of the bill.

Get a Silencerco Sparrow. It will handle:
.22LR
.17 HMR
.22 MAG
.22 WMR
.22 Hornet
5.7mm

Per Silencerco it can go 2000 rounds of rimfire between cleanings. It has a superior clamshell design. I own one and love it.

I also own a Gemtech Outback II. I took it apart once to clean it. I will never do that again. The Outback II is less expensive, but it's not nearly as well designed IMO. I like the Outback II for what it is...a cheap silencer.

The Sparrow has a larger diameter, whereas the Outback II is flush with my Tac Sol barrel on my Browning Buckmark.

I'm not sure what your concern is about seeing the silencer on low magnification. For example, I use a 1x red dot with a 1/2 inch riser on a Ruger 10/22 and a Sparrow. There is no problem. The optic is above the bore, so you just see the target.

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck with your regulatory change.

Sendit

From what little I have researched on suppressors , the ones for rimfire are designed to be taken apart and cleaned because of .22 lead bullets . Just wondering , the .17 WSM and HMR both have jacketed bullets. Would you still need to be able to take apart and clean a suppressor for these bullets in a rimfire ?
Sendit223 , my pellet gun on low power you see the "silencer" through the scope but this may be a pellet gun/pellet gun scope "thing" (low magnification and close in focus )

The jacketed bullet will help but the powder will still fowl the baffles. There isn't enough power to blast the crap out of the baffles like with bigger caliber cans

A side note with cans, price is proportional to weight and length. Small and lighter =$$$$. Heavier and bigger = less $. The great thing about 22 suppressors is none of them are all the expensive compared to the bigger bored ones.

I am a silencerCo fan as well. You not only get a great suppressor but you also get a warranty and customer service that's hard to beat. But I will say hunter town has great suppressors for the price.

Good luck and I hope the bill passes for you guys

Last edited:
The silencerco sparrow is probably the most sought after 22 rimfire can out there. I have the spectre 2 it performs very well too. Either way you cannot go wrong with silencerco with their outstanding warranty.

Back