Cleaning Cans

SkyPup

All of my suppressors are for high powered 5.56mm/7.62mm rifles and are one piece sealed units. When cleaning the rifle bore, I remove the suppressors and do not clean them at all. I believe the hot gases are enough to clean these cans so I do not clean them.

From what I understand, the only cans that need cleaning are low powered suppressors that are made to be disassembled, like for .22 long rifle that have allot of lead and powder residue.

What does everyone else do/think?

the only cans I clean are my .22lr for the exact reasons you posted. All the others are shot with high pressure loads and this should help clean them internally. It's even less of a concern if you are loading your own rounds with good powder that burns clean

High power rifle cans do not need cleaned unless you are using a dirty powder in certain extreme cases. I have never cleaned any of mine.

22LR cans build up pretty fast. I clean my sealed and non sealed ones every 1000 rounds.

I would consult your can manufacture to see what they recommend.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAll of my suppressors are for high powered 5.56mm/7.62mm rifles and are one piece sealed units. When cleaning the rifle bore, I remove the suppressors and do not clean them at all. I believe the hot gases are enough to clean these cans so I do not clean them.

From what I understand, the only cans that need cleaning are low powered suppressors that are made to be disassembled, like for .22 long rifle that have allot of lead and powder residue.

Completely agree.

S.A.S. now recommends cleaning their suppressors, fact that can be found under FAQ on their website, and I have cleaned mine a couple of times with the method that they recommend using white vinegar.
I didn't get much out of mine either time though, so I'm in no hurry to clean it a 3rd time.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: SkyPupAll of my suppressors are for high powered 5.56mm/7.62mm rifles and are one piece sealed units. When cleaning the rifle bore, I remove the suppressors and do not clean them at all. I believe the hot gases are enough to clean these cans so I do not clean them.

Completely agree.

Yup. Even the people that made mine said that I did not have to clean it so that's good enough for me. Now then, if my guns were all self cleaning then that would sure be nice!

Back