OSS suppessor

Originally Posted By: headhunter282If you have a QD mount and take the can off, does it really change the POI if you put the same can back on the rifle?

as skinny said, theoretically no. But if you don't have a can that indexes at the same spot every time you put it back on barrel then it can change the POI.

Back in the day direct thread was the way to go for the best performance. Fast forward to today's suppressors, QD mounts have come a long way and the POI is very minimal when compared to direct thread now.

Last edited:
This thread is getting a little off track, but I really don't understand the whole quick detach thing. Mine is direct thread and it takes 20 seconds to switch from one rifle to another. Why would you even bother with QD? When I thread it back on that rifle it always has the same POI. Never had to worry bout it. When I see statements about having 5 cans for 5 rifles I think "what the [beeep] for?" Someone please enlighten me.

Also, been researching that OSS supressor, would really like to hear more about it from and actuall user.

Originally Posted By: Suppressed in SDThis thread is getting a little off track, but I really don't understand the whole quick detach thing. Mine is direct thread and it takes 20 seconds to switch from one rifle to another. Why would you even bother with QD? Someone please enlighten me.

The QD allows you to run the same suppressor on different sized barrels, thread counts, and calibers. A 762 QD can will run on a 308 down to a .22 with the appropriate QD flash hider. It also keeps from wearing your barrel threads each time to take it off and on.

YHM QD Flash Hiders:

YHM Product Codes:
M15 x 1 RH - YHM-3302-15-A
M14 x 1 Left Hand, Kalashnikov - YHM-3302-AK-A
9/16"-24 Left Hand - YHM-3302FA
9/16"-24 - YHM-3302RA
5/8"-24 - YHM-3302-24A
1/2"-36 - YHM-3302-36A

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: headhunter282How bad does it throw off the POI really. I was going to try to use the same can on two different rifles.

I run the same 762 QD can on 4 rifles. I zero them all with the can. I do not shoot long range but I figure if I am getting any POI shift it's not worth $800 to $1000 per rifle to try to get a dedicated can that may or may not fix the POI shift issue.

Suppressed in SD,

I have had an OSS for several months now and really like it. if you look at the posts I've made you can see all the info I've put on these forums about the OSS so far.

It hasn't been a lot of info. I did post some pics of the POI change the OSS made. I have also made a few other comments.

The biggest things I've noticed so far are the OSS looks like a monster sized can but really isn't . It only extends your gun length buy about 3-4 inches. Most of the can sets back behind the end of the barrel and seems to help give you abit better balance. The back pressure is very minimal. Most suppressors make your unfired casings in you AR mags black from the gases. They stay pretty clean when I fire my OSS due to the minimal gas back pressure. The sound reduction is also very good.

I'm very interested in this suppressor for all these reasons. I mainly run a AR10 style 260 Rem by JP. It's a wicked coyote hammer and plenty accurate for long range. It's just a little long with a 22 inch barrel and my Gemtech Sandstorm. Also, it runs terrible dirty. My adjustable gas block takes care of any timing issues, but the length, weight distribution, and fouling make me very interested in the OSS. The fact that it comes back over your barrel is totally cool. My holdback is that it's sound suppression is less than what I currently have, not sure I want to compromise in that area. I am very interested in its recoil reduction. Haven't read much of how it compares to others in that regard.

I got to put my hands on an OSS this weekend. Felt very very heavy but it was a stainless can. I'm very interested in the noise reduction opinions. Very innovative design

Have had my OSS can for a few months, made a few kills with it. It's on an LWRC 5.56. I'm no expert, but my experience has been the same as what everyone else has said. The weight is mostly back towards the grip, so while the gun weighs more, it isn't too objectionable. I actually prefer running this configuration better now. Also the minimal length change is great, not bad at all and easy to adjust to in a hunting situation. Runs dirtier than unsuppressed, but not by much. I'm sure it helps that it's a piston gun, too.
It's been quiet enough that I easily hear the "whop"of the bullet hitting home. For my money, it's been the single best modification to my gun I've ever made. Hope that helps.

Back