Barrel length

ksduckhntr

With suppressors ranging from 7-10" it seems, does the extra length bother anyone in hunting situations? I hunt in eastern KS where the habitat and terrain varies greatly.

I adjust my caliber, host weapon, suppressor to terrain I am hunting in.
I have 26 inch barrels with 9 inch titanium suppressors that I hunt the prairie with and 12.5 barrels with 7 inch suppressors I use in forest or heavy cover.
That said length has never stopped me from what I wanted to use.
Once you shoot suppressed you find a way to always shoot suppressed.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrWith suppressors ranging from 7-10" it seems, does the extra length bother anyone in hunting situations? I hunt in eastern KS where the habitat and terrain varies greatly.

now that I run a can I see no need for the 26 inch barrels. I have been trying to cut everything to 20-22 inches even shorter on those cals I think can handle it, For me the 26 inch pipe with a 7 inch can is to much to wheel around. The only way I would run a long barrel is for long, long range target or groundhogs. But now that I am dialing my MOA, I don't even worry about that much. The lose in FPS is easily made up for...

Jason

Originally Posted By: smith1559
ksduckhntr said:
With suppressors ranging from 7-10" it seems, does the extra length bother anyone in hunting situations? I hunt in eastern KS where the habitat and terrain varies greatly.

now that I run a can I see no need for the 26 inch barrels. I have been trying to cut everything to 20-22 inches even shorter on those cals I think can handle it, For me the 26 inch pipe with a 7 inch can is to much to wheel around. The only way I would run a long barrel is for long, long range target or groundhogs. But now that I am dialing my MOA, I don't even worry about that much. The lose in FPS is easily made up for...

Jason [/quot

I agree. 26" to 27" overall with can is not bad at all to hunt with. Especially if the rifle is under 10lbs. Also agree that a long bomb rifle for laying down or on a bench shooting, doesn't matter how long the barrel is.

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrThanks for the replies, I was thinking of when I go down this road that barrel lengths 18-22 would be about right.

I'm running those length's on all my set ups, except my Norma, she's still got a 26".

I am piecing together my do all Kansas rifle in 6.5 swede and am lookin at maybe a heavy sporter weight barrel in 20". I don't want a lot of weight in the barrel but keep it stiff enough to hang a suppressor on the end. Is there anything wrong with that logic? What profile do you prefer to have when running suppressed?

Skinney has it right just make sure you have at least .730 of barrel for the shoulder when you thread it to 5/8 x 24 for a 30 cal can. I run a lot of 20 and 22 inch weapons and they do just fine. When you range and dial long shots you don't need to have MAX velocities.

Back