What are the steps?

foxrunner

Maybe you guys could put a sticky at the top of the page of the individual (detailed) steps of how a new guy would go about getting a suppressor. I think this would eliminate a lot of the confusion for us newbies.
Just a suggestion!!

X2
Originally Posted By: foxrunnerMaybe you guys could put a sticky at the top of the page of the individual (detailed) steps of how a new guy would go about getting a suppressor. I think this would eliminate a lot of the confusion for us newbies.
Just a suggestion!!
Also could you add a list of forms needed!
Thanks
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: skinneyYep working on a video for it.

^^^^ this will be worth the wait, but while you are waiting:

The following is not legal advice. You are responsible for understanding the law. That said, it's pretty easy.

Local Dealer
(1) find a dealer in your state
(2) talk to said dealer and gain enough confidence in him you are willing to pay $500-$1000 to essentially put something on "lay away"
(3) pick out a silencer from the dealer and pay them for it (now it's on lay away, but you aren't waiting for funds to pay for it you are waiting on the ATF's permission)
(4) fill out a Form 4 (2 copies) at the dealership (this is why you picked this dealer because he understands the process and helps you)
(5) take the Form 4 to your CLEO (chief law enforcement officer), which is the sheriff (or chief of police if you are in a city), get him to sign the form, get fingerprinted there
(6) get 2 passport photos
(7) take everything back to the dealer along with a $200 check made out to the BATFE
(8) if everything is in order the dealer sends that stuff in.
(9) wait several months for a phone call from your dealer telling you that your Form 4 came back with your stamp (there is an actual stamp on the form that you just bought for $200 and which says to everyone "this guy gets to posses this silencer"... see my signature line below)
(10) go to dealer with big smile
(11) wonder why you didn't just buy two silencers the first time
(12) wonder why you ever shot unsuppressed in the first place
(13) start learning about adjustable gas blocks and "gas face" remedies (unless you bought an OSS to begin with)

If you go the trust route insert step (0) which is to appropriately establish a revocable living trust that will own the silencers -- figure out how to do this by using your own legal adviser. Also with the trust route you get to eliminate steps (5) and (6), but you need to bring a copy of your trust to the dealer. As you can see this eliminates some key steps as well as a trip back and forth to your dealer.

If you buy from an online dealer or from out of state you need to get a Form 3 done, which allows that dealer to transfer the silencer to another dealer in your state. Then the rest of the steps are the same. This obviously takes longer than buying off the shelf at your local dealer.

That's about it. I'll edit with input from skinney/others and needed. I have a trust so I've never actually done the fingerprint part.

This sounds WAY more complicated than it is.

Sendit

If doing a individual and you do step 5 and 6, send your stuff in yourself, no need to take to the dealer. Attach the photos yourself.
If it is a competent dealer everything will be in order filled out and instructions given on what you need to do.

They do not need to be further involved until they are calling you with your stamp in hand.
That is why you hear stories of how the dealer never sent in the paperwork. Do it yourself then you know it is on its way.

Also do not forget to sign a compliance of citizenship to go with. You need that also or it will grief out.

It's really so easy a cave man can do it.
smile.gif

I thought so. I have a trust drawn up but have not completed it yet. I was waiting, because I am moving from IL to MO and suppressors are illegal in IL but allowed in MO. I heard the government was trying to require the members of the trust to comply with #5 & #6. If they do, what good is a trust? It is just my wife and I, we have no heirs.

Welcome to MO Lots of PM Bros on here.
Lots of pros and cons of both ways.
As far a heirs, Individual Stamps can be transferred to who ever you want or wants them tax free upon your death on a form 5.
smile.gif

Only time will tell on trusts and what will happen. IMO...I think they are wanting to eliminate the "NFA clubs" and the "felons" that are on trusts by all named having to have "background checks", from the discussion I have heard. In short more control. That is another topic probably for another thread.

Back