Hunting with suppressors in Montana

blopez50

In a few months I'll be making a move up north. While doing some research, I was really disappointed to find that hunting with suppressors is still illegal in MT. It looks like it might take a small step in the right direction this year but there still a ways to go.

Do you guys know of any groups or people working to legislation to allow big game hunting with cans?

http://m.missoulian.com/lifestyles/outdo...bile_touch=true

This revision is more like what I would expect from Montana. The fact I had to leave my silencer at home when traveling to hunt in Montana just never made any sense to me.

Good luck!

Sendit

I agree. I like the looks of this one a whole lot more. Passed the Senate this week by a pretty decent margin. Keep your fingers crossed!

Originally Posted By: blopez50Do you guys know of any groups or people working to legislation to allow big game hunting with cans?

Yes sir. The American Suppressor Association is always working on at least a couple states at once...trying to either get hunting legalized, or suppressor use in general accepted.

When we tell our grandchildren we couldn't use silencers they will think we are lying old men! It's great to see the silencer movement making so much ground in the past 5 years.

Sendit

You can already legally use them for MT defined predators i.e unregulated species. Im not sure this new bill will allow thier use on regulated species. If it passes as written it would allow you to have one in your possesion while "hunting" but it doesnt specify they can be used to take game animals.

Currently shooting predators doesnt fall under "hunting" in MT

Originally Posted By: blopez50I won't know for sure until next month but I'm 95% sure it'll be Missoula.

Very nice area. Good Hunting over there. My parents live a bit south of there on interstate 15. I live east of there on the highline.

Originally Posted By: sendit223When we tell our grandchildren we couldn't use silencers they will think we are lying old men! It's great to see the silencer movement making so much ground in the past 5 years.

Sendit

If that's all I have to tell my grandchildren that's fine by me. You seem more optimistic than I am

Last edited:
It takes work, but coordinated efforts have been working in many states. There are no legitimate arguments against allowing silencers. None. The only two that come up are (1) criminals will use them, or (2) poaching will increase. Both rely on a premise which states "criminals follow the law." This is nonsense of course. Smoking out the opposition so they have to make this claim is the key. And that takes effort. We are well past the tipping point on silencer legalization because enough manufacturers understand the size of the silencer market.

Sendit

Back