OSS suppessor

g Bo

I'm doing testing between my recently received suppressors. I've got an OSS and a saker. Both are 7.62's on rock river ehide's. I will be shooting them side by side comparing with a decibel meter. Please note I'm not a real technical guy so my meter my only be an IPad app. Also see if there is any noticeable accuracy differences. I haven't had much time to do much yet. The only nociable difference so far is the back pressure from the OSS doesn't make my un fired bullets in my clip near as black as I'm shooting and the OSS is abit longer overall but doesn't extend the length of your gun as much because it slides over the barrel a substantial amout. I think it only lengthens it by about 4". All I can say so far is I really like them both. I've been using the OSS more because the saker is on my Sons gun.

OSS is the most innovative design in 20 years IMO. Really out of the box thinking. The no-gas-face benefit is almost worth the sticker shock of the price. The unit seems very versatile as well with over the counter caliber mods. Shooting it at SHOT it seemed to be more than up to the task.

Sendit

I'll be interested to hear what you think of how they perform. I saw these at SHOT, but they were prototypes I believe. In any case they were not available to shoot.

Sendit

I've already used them on hunts here at my place, they work great and are hardly longer than a flash suppressor. Lightweight and short are good.

Excellent for keeping thing short and sweet, especially for getting in and out of truck/UTV with the rifle.

Delta%20P%20Can.jpg

Using it on a Remington 700 .223 sniper rifle bolt gun it was very quiet, quieter than my Gemtech Sandstorm is on my HK 556 semi auto gas gun shooting handloaded Sierra Match King 77 grain pills.

Sky pup, I'm going to order another suppressor. Do you have a reading on the sound reduction? Would you suggest I get one of the brevis 2 instead of the silencerco omega?

I do not know about the Silencerco Omega, but the Brevis II is a top of the line lightweight/short can totally made of Inconel, does not get any better than that....

Originally Posted By: SkyPupUsing it on a Remington 700 .223 sniper rifle bolt gun it was very quiet, quieter than my Gemtech Sandstorm is on my HK 556 semi auto gas gun shooting handloaded Sierra Match King 77 grain pills.

The comparison you're making is night and day. Not even apples to oranges...night and day. If you don't have sound measuring equipment, your PERCEPTION that it's quieter is not necessarily accurate. MIGHT BE, but not because it's a better suppressor.

The Sandstorm is a .30 cal suppressor. When using a suppressor like this on a 5.56 semi auto, you're going to be disappointed every time. Not only due to the difference in suppressor bore, in relation to the bullet size....but because it's a SHORT barrel, and excess sound is coming out the action during cycling.

The Brevis II is hearing safe on a bolt gun...barely. It's not designed to be as quiet as most and that kind of expectation shouldn't be placed on it.

All suppressors will sound louder on a semi-auto. Even if they suppress well at the muzzle, the perception is different at the shooters ear.

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: SkyPupUsing it on a Remington 700 .223 sniper rifle bolt gun it was very quiet, quieter than my Gemtech Sandstorm is on my HK 556 semi auto gas gun shooting handloaded Sierra Match King 77 grain pills.

The comparison you're making is night and day. Not even apples to oranges...night and day. If you don't have sound measuring equipment, your PERCEPTION that it's quieter is not necessarily accurate. MIGHT BE, but not because it's a better suppressor.

The Sandstorm is a .30 cal suppressor. When using a suppressor like this on a 5.56 semi auto, you're going to be disappointed every time. Not only due to the difference in suppressor bore, in relation to the bullet size....but because it's a SHORT barrel, and excess sound is coming out the action during cycling.

The Brevis II is hearing safe on a bolt gun...barely. It's not designed to be as quiet as most and that kind of expectation shouldn't be placed on it.

All suppressors will sound louder on a semi-auto. Even if they suppress well at the muzzle, the perception is different at the shooters ear.

I know, I've got five different cans on five different rifles, both 556 and 7.62 bolt guns and piston gas guns and just ordered two more Brevis IIs for my 556 piston gas guns.

The only rifle I am shooting subsonic is a .300 BlackOut, the 5.56mm and 7.62mm are not subsonic.

I don't see why everybody makes a huge point about a few decibels of sound reduction. As long as it protects your hearing and doesn't frighten the critters as bad then it's mission accomplished in my book. If you are hunting it's more than likely going to be supersonic anyway.

I run 22 subsonic and 300 BLK subsonic but the only hunting I would do is close range predator removal near a residence at night with the 300 BLK.

I guess after being around jet engines for 30 years I can't hear JS anyway so what's 2 Db?

Originally Posted By: Gman757
I don't see why everybody makes a huge point about a few decibels of sound reduction. As long as it protects your hearing and doesn't frighten the critters as bad then it's mission accomplished in my book. If you are hunting it's more than likely going to be supersonic anyway.

I run 22 subsonic and 300 BLK subsonic but the only hunting I would do is close range predator removal near a residence at night with the 300 BLK.

I guess after being around jet engines for 30 years I can't hear JS anyway so what's 2 Db?

Agreed.

It isn't always about db reduction although the that ranks high on my requirement list, it's about a few other things like tone and shape. This things add to the report and disruption or confusion of where that sound came from or what it even was. It has made a difference a few times on follow ups or doubles.

If you've shot enough suppressed you know exactly what Im referring to.

Mount type and accuracy performance are pinnacle in the needs dept.

Weight is my last consideration because I run heavy weapons any how. Maybe when I get older I will want things lighter but it's not necessary for me at this time.

That said, the brevis wasn't designed to replace or compete with traditional suppressors. There's only so much design can do to lower the need for volume in a suppressor.

Last edited:
I run heavy fully equipped weapons too:

Boar%20Head2.jpg

T75%20SIG%20Sow.jpg

HK%20Hog2.jpg

Vis%20Coyote.jpg

I don't mind the weight much either, except on the end of the muzzle, but I do like the fact they cannot triangulate where the sound came from...

Originally Posted By: Spartan1It isn't always about db reduction although the that ranks high on my requirement list, it's about a few other things like tone and shape. This things add to the report and disruption or confusion of where that sound came from or what it even was. It has made a difference a few times on follow ups or doubles.

I certainly don't fault anyone that wants to take the time and energy to fine tune whatever aspect of their weapon they deem important. I'm more into NV and thermal and the suppressor is more of an afterthought to me.

Originally Posted By: Gman757

Purely a selling point... I've heard it before, "quietest suppressor or your money back." Personal experience, a guy told me, his can was guaranteed the quietest in the industry, so we shot it next to a few of ours, his buddy started laughing saying, "well, you better get your money back."
The random guy isn't going to trade his can back in after a 12 month wait and all the PW that is involved, the random guy also isn't going to shoot 50 different makes models to be able to get credential info regarding who's is the quietest...
Marketing gimmick, I'm more concerned with precision, no first round pop, or POI shift, sound suppression comes as a by product.

All five of my cans are screw on and not QD, each of them had a POI shift of a few inches due to barrel harmonics changes with the cans on.

However, once I targeted them all in with the cans installed, they all shoot MOA with zero hassles, but I do not take them off except to clean out the barrel.

Many like the convenience and utility of a QD can to install on numerous rifles, I stick with a dedicated can on each of my rifles purely for the sake of precision and not having to re-target them.

Originally Posted By: headhunter282If you have a QD mount and take the can off, does it really change the POI if you put the same can back on the rifle?

Theoretically no...

Back