Obama exec action to ban 5.56 ammunition

Tbone-AZ

To make you safe and secure..

It’s starting.

As promised, President Obama is using executive actions to impose gun control on the nation, targeting the top-selling rifle in the country, the AR-15 style semi-automatic, with a ban on one of the most-used AR bullets by sportsmen and target shooters.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives this month revealed that it is proposing to put the ban on 5.56mm ammo on a fast track, immediately driving up the price of the bullets and prompting retailers, including the huge outdoors company Cabela’s, to urge sportsmen to urge Congress to stop the president.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2560750

I am leaving in 20 minutes to go buy as many .224 bullets as i can before they are not on the shelf anymore.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishand the Ammo Panic of 2015 is well & fully started

Ya, and i have been patiently waiting for the 22lr rush to finally end after 2 years.

I seriously wish that when a Republicans take over in 2 years, they should exec ban several things that liberals love.

like Abortion, the EPA, Hybred cars, Organic food, PETA and so on.

I'm not picking on you,m just observing. As with the past panics, it's purely driven by politicians.

I bought some more bullets sunday just to make sure I had some to work with, still on the hunt for some benchmark & N160.

used to be -not long ago either- you could buy a bucket of 1400 remington thunderbolt 22LR rounds for about $60 - $70. PSA got some in. $129.99. over 9 cents a round before shipping.

and it sold out fast

Obama will do anything to stop us from having firearms..

Stu
Try these guys I buy a lot from them, they have Benchmark but no VV N-160,N-135 was my favorite, that stuff is just a memory...

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,65.html

Thanks!

I did score 1 lb of benchmark locally today. Price was high but they had it. I'll still need to order an 8 lb can.

Quote:used to be -not long ago either- you could buy a bucket of 1400 remington thunderbolt 22LR rounds for about $60 - $70. PSA got some in. $129.99. over 9 cents a round before shipping.

Good luck there! http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

I was finding subsonic Long Rifle ammo for around 6 - 7 cents, but even that has started climbing again.

I've said it 40 plus years ago all you have to do is take away one of the reloading components and that's the end of loading. This guy is really something. we can only hope this will not get thru. What's next??

Originally Posted By: tnshootistsimply amazing. It almost seems like oboma is saying, " what is it going to take to make them mad"

That's right, he wants us mad enough to give him an excuse for Martial Law

Wait. I thought Obama WANTED dead cops? Why's he so upset at an ammunition type that allegedly makes that easy?

"Cop killer bullets" are [beeep] because they will kill any one they hit, they do not have to be a cop. Before long, they will change the definition of " Armor piercing "to any bullet that will penetrate ballistic gel... This administration wants us shooting marshmallows out of muskets...

Jive-[beeep] administration can't get their obongocare website to work..but now wants to run the internet..now executive orders ..banning m855 ammo...

Treason... Hang...

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishand the Ammo Panic of 2015 is well & fully started

Really? Are we really going to go Chicken Little on this again?

There are so many things WRONG with this post it's hard to know where to even start. But we're all supposed to squeal like school girls and run out and panic buy like TBone?

"Obama exec action to ban 5.56 ammunition"

Wrong! There was an internal BTAF proposal to ban certain types of projectiles. Show me where it says a "ban on ammunition"? Don't you know the difference between bullets and ammunition or are you like the media that uses the terms interchangeably?

If we're going to discuss this like intelligent people, let's get the facts straight.

This so-called "ban", as far as anyone can tell, was in a leaked draft of a "proposal" within a so-called "framework" from the BTAF. No one seems to know who authored this draft or their position within the BATF. There was NEVER any mention of "banning 5.56/.223 ammo".

The specific focus of this proposal was the projectile used in M855 ball ammo. So called "green tip" 5.56 ammo. However, if you take a broader reading of the BATF's "framework", almost any sporting ammunition that has a metal jacket and could possibly be shot in some type of handgun could be subject to this projectile ban. So it's completely wrong to characterize this as something just about the 5.56.

Obviously, any illegal actions by the BTAF to try to backdoor an ammo ban are always cause for concerns. The NRA, NSSF, and other gun rights groups are aware of this "proposal" and have been fighting back.

Instead of running around squaking like chickens with heads cut off and clearing out the shelves of anywhere that sells ammo, could I suggest the intelligent approach instead?

Actually do something that will do some good!

Read this article and then go to the BATF's website and register a comment: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150218...ifle-ammunition

Then write your representatives as the above article states and express your opposition.

Going out and panic buying a bunch of ammo and then barricading yourself in a bunker does absolutely nothing to solve the problem. Unless you're going to buy a lifetime supply of ammo for you, your children, and your grandchildren, I would suggest we actually address the problem rather than just all run out and irrationally fill basements with .22 LR like many people did last time.

Grouse

maybe you haven't been paying attention to what people have been saying, but yes it's an ammo panic. Warranted or not people perceive that they are going to have a hard time getting certain ammo for the 223 & expect that it will be followed by more, so they're buying up everything they can. The run on ammo has already started, so no, my prior post was NOT wrong.

It's only feb & obama has already made 3 major executive moves on gun control, this being one of them.

He's already had the ATF change what they consider "manufacturing" a firearm to be and they reversed their own decision from just a year ago regarding using arm braces on AR pistols. Now they've made it known they're after certain ammo -ammo that in no way meets the definition of what they're supposed to be allowed to ban.

What's next?

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishmaybe you haven't been paying attention to what people have been saying, but yes it's an ammo panic.

What's next?

As a habit--and one that's served me well all my life--I pay attention only to people who know what they are talking about.

People running around in circles squealing "The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!" I ignore.

Was just out this PM to a gun shop and a Cabelas. Plenty of ammo on the shelves. Bought some reloading components including .224 bullets.

No sign of anyone panicing like you are.

Grouse

Back