Baiting

It's been my experience that most furred predators will shy away from coyote and otter carcasses. Birds are a different story- and will eat almost anything.

I threw a carcass of a coyote I bagged early last month about 30 yards from my beaver bait pile. A week later- coyote tracks all over the place going to / from the beaver- even digging through the snow to find buried bits, but no tracks went near the coyote carcass. Birds on the other hand had picked the yote carcass clean.

One thing to keep in mind- any lead fragments should be trimmed from carcasses before placing bait out or you run the risk of killing birds. Maine had an eagle die recently from ingesting lead fragments, likely off a carcass.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Cutleryotehunter, Nice going on the cat.

IAyoteHNTR, I park my truck maybe 300 yards from the cabin and walk in when I stay the night there. I do however park the truck beside a gas well that's on the farm, to break up the outline somewhat. As well, there are trees inbetween the cabin and truck.

I'm not sure how much the truck might affect the coyote hunting, but I suspect that it won't be much of an issue at 350 yards. As DoubleUp mentioned, it might be good to try to park it near trees, buildings or objects.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, My bait is buried under 3 feet of snow but the critters still know its there. That bobcat was digging down to the bait only his butt was sticking out of the snow when I first saw him. I have five eagles working it too. After every storm the eagles dig down to it. and clear it back out.

I snowshoed out to my bait today and dragged a roadkill deer to freshen up the site. Nothing been back since the heavy snow but the wind has been howling and the other day it covered in my tracks in a few hours. I`ll keep checking it daily to see if they come back before I sit.

I have tried the bacon grease pour on the bait to liven it up ..sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. right now activity slow ... to bad with the full moon.... what a waste..... no tracks around home or any other place I look. have seen quite a few bobcat tracks this year. I put a bunch deer parts I had in cold storage....not a track.

Originally Posted By: dog drillerI have tried the bacon grease pour on the bait to liven it up ..sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. right now activity slow ... to bad with the full moon.... what a waste..... no tracks around home or any other place I look. have seen quite a few bobcat tracks this year. I put a bunch deer parts I had in cold storage....not a track.

I hear ya. Been waiting a month for the moon and now nothing is moving. GUARANTEED once the moon goes by the baits will be active. lol

disappointing....
so my bait site has been getting hammered with yotes but I just haven't had the time to spend there, so last weekend I finally got a night to spend at camp. It wasn't long and the alarms went off, when I went out on to the porch I could see the coyote off to the edge of the bait even before I turned the NV on ( full moon). shot was 85 yds plenty of time , I had the .17 wsm. at the shot it dropped instantly. I figured he was done, then as I was jacking another shell in it began to get up and it dragged its self off out of field over the stone wall . So I gave it 45 min then went out to take a look with the shotgun and flashlight , no blood. the 1st 50 yds it looked like it was snow plowing through the snow , then after it gathered up and looked as [beeep] it was dragging a front leg. I tracked it 300 yds with out a drop of blood , before it went into a pine thicket that you would have trouble walking through in daylight when I called it.
only thing I can think is I hit the shoulder and it splashed on hit ( 20 grain vmax Winchester rounds)

That is disappointing for sure deerslyr1. I know how you feel. My first coyote loss happened about a month ago.

What night vision do you have?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06That is disappointing for sure deerslyr1. I know how you feel. My first coyote loss happened about a month ago.

What night vision do you have?
high-tech redneck gen3

ive dumped alot of coyote carcasses over the years and before we had the cursed wolves nothing but birds would eat them. Now after a good amount of time laying there buried under snow and balsam the wolves eat em right up every time.Nothing going on here anymore except the gray fox I feed scraps to.Guess im to soft the little guy now.I never see the fox on the meat block not even a crow or raven even though I see crows every day.

Unforchantly I have been to busy to do as much coyote hunting as I would like. This is the last one I shot a month ago

50gr Superformance 22-250
I plan on getting back at it as scallop fishing is winding down. Man this snow stinks. Over 70" in 12 days

how do guys keep the bucket from busting when freezing a baitsicle. I have had two now and the second on split before it froze solid had dumped into the deep freeze ( what a mess that was)

Nice heavy fur on that coyote, Scalloper . With all that snow ya''ll been getting, a coyote wouldn't survive without it. 70" is unfathomable
scared.gif

Last edited:
Wcboy,

Try adding water two inches at a time, freeze and repeat. Or, if you live in the New Ice Age (New England), just make it outside. I feel like we haven't seen a day over 20 degrees since December.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterNice heavy fur on that coyote, Scalloper . With all that snow ya''ll been getting, a coyote wouldn't survive without it. 70" is unfathomable
scared.gif

Ya and we just got another 17" yesterday. 54 days below freezing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: gobblergetterNice heavy fur on that coyote, Scalloper . With all that snow ya''ll been getting, a coyote wouldn't survive without it. 70" is unfathomable
scared.gif

Ya and we just got another 17" yesterday. 54 days below freezing.

Crazy winter here! My bait pile is buried, I think I'm going to dig it out tomorrow. I have absolutely nothing coming to my bait now. I don't think the coyotes are traveling too far in this snow. I can get onto the roof of my house just by stepping off from the snow banks. The snow is almost up to the tops of my house windows. On another note my Father in law whom lives up near Fort Kent went out calling for coyotes last Friday. He didn't call out any coyotes but did call out 10! foxes in just over 2 1/2 hours of hunting. He only got one but he had a lot of fun. He said they came in fast too fast!! He was breaking in his B-mag .17WSM. he also had a .243 win in case a coyote showed up.

Last edited:

Nice job on the cat, DoubleUp. That's a pretty good distance. Good shooting.

You guys in Maine are really getting hammered. Yesterday we got around 11" with more expected tomorrow, but ours is nothing compared to what you have been through. Be careful up there.

Back