Possibly wounded bobcat question.

OKRattler

I really don't wanna admit it but I made a bad shot on a bobcat today. He was in some thick stuff...I say thick....chest high to him. Sagebrush,thistles...stuff like that. Anyways he started acting like he was gonna turn and burn on me. I don't like taking moving shots if I don't have to. But when I have a critter....especially a bobcat or coyote within spitting distance of the 100 yard mark and I'm in "kill mode"its rare for me to just let it walk away without at least putting some heat on it. This was one of those times. This big cat had my heart racing and I didn't want him getting away so I rushed a shot. It felt like a good idea at the time. I had myself convinced I was gonna hit fur. Instead...I don't know where I hit. I shot,the cat didn't even jump or at least I didn't see it if he did. I lost sight of him then saw his head for a split second. My question is does a bobcat usually run for his life after being hit or do they ever give you another glance at them. I looked everywhere and found no trace of him so I'am guessing I missed.

Last edited:
If I missed its fine. I can accept that but I absolutely hate wounding a critter. It makes me sick to my stomach to lose anything I shoot. I've never wounded a bobcat before. I've always killed them on the spot or flat out missed. I don't know how they react when wounded. Will they run off or generally bed down to die somewhere? I didn't hear the unmistakable "thud" a bullet makes when it hits a critter. So I hope I missed. I don't like to miss but to me its better that way. If I missed he'll live to shoot at another day. If he's wounded I'll walk that whole field if I have to.

Hard to say. Classically, they pop straight up in the air when hit, but not always. Sometimes they don't bleed a lot, but you usually can at least find fur at the point of impact. Lots of times they will freeze when you miss them, or run just a short distance, giving you a chance for a second shot. Their lungs are smaller and more forward than a coyote.

All that being said, like GC said, you probably missed. I'd go back there and call that spot again soon.

RJM Acres-No blood or fur. I walked around where I last saw him and all around the direction where he was heading. I looked for 4 hours and never seen anything at all. I hope you're right GC. This cat was a biggun you guys. The cat disappeared after the shot so I automatically thought he was down. Not far from where I shot at him I saw him again just looking around behind more sagebrush before he vanished. I thought maybe he was wounded and layed down there but I don't think so. The bad thing is in my stomping ground is every plant starts looking the same. I've walked right by downed coyotes and bobcats several times before stumbling across them. Hopefully that's not the case here. I plan on calling again very soon. Last Winter I called a bobcat a buddy of mine missed on two different occasions so its definitely possible. There's an old homestead a 1/4 far from where he was. Yall reckon that's where he calls home? I just can't imagine a cat staying out in the sagebrush and yucka plants. They'd rather hole up somewhere and keep warm. Seems like that to me anyways from the experience I've had with them.

I'd be willing to bet 98.5% that you missed, especially with that last bit of seeing the cat standing there looking around after the shot. BTW, what firearm and load were you shooting that day?

Originally Posted By: KizmoHard to say. Classically, they pop straight up in the air when hit, but not always. Sometimes they don't bleed a lot, but you usually can at least find fur at the point of impact. Lots of times they will freeze when you miss them, or run just a short distance, giving you a chance for a second shot. Their lungs are smaller and more forward than a coyote.

All that being said, like GC said, you probably missed. I'd go back there and call that spot again soon.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1

Quote: I didn't hear the unmistakable "thud" a bullet makes when it hits a critter.

I think you said he was close. I never hear the bullet thump on close shots, but I do wear electronic ear muffs and they may block the sound so close (time wise) to muzzle blast.

Regards,
hm

Don't have enough experience to offer advice, but I do admire your ethics in the efforts you took to try to recover the animal.

GC- I was shootin a DPMS Sporticle using Winchester 45 grain HP's. I'd say the bobcat was 100-115 yards away crossing away from me at a pretty fast pace. Not running but more of a power walk. I tryed to get him to stop but he never even slowed up so I went ahead and took the shot. I had the crosshairs on his front shoulder or so I thought. I've shot coyotes with the 45 grain hollowpoints before and never had any problems. I think if I would have hit that cat where the crosshairs were as I squeezed the trigger he wouldn't have went anywhere or very far at all. I appreciate it Big Foot. I never have liked losing something I shot. I lose sleep over it because not only is a critter layed up hurt but as predator hunters we all realize that opportunity only comes every once in a while. When it happens you earned it through hard work and trial and error. When it comes together and I can't make a clean kill it bothers me. But I also know missing and bad shots are part of it.

They generally either DRT or they jump like a trout on a line if wounded. No jump, flip, flop, you probably missed.

OKRattler,
Now I would up my guess to 99.7% that you missed. High velocity bullets get a reaction from bobcats. They either "bang - flop" or give a spectacular jump and pile up or maybe haul butt. I've seen missed cats try to hide rather than run, but never a wounded cat slink or walk off. Not saying it couldn't happen but I have never seen it with the few wounded cats I've dealt with.

I'm with most everyone else. If he didn't jump, he wasn't hit. Bad news is if he had jumped they can sure be hard to find sometimes, so be glad he didn't haha.

Call it a miss and go get him in a week or so.

That makes me feel a little better. I don't like missing but I can accept that easier than a bobcat that ran off to die. I've seen some do acrobatics after being hit and others that just dropped. I agree with you guys I think I missed too. Got in too big of a hurry and flat out missed. I just knew I had fur down when I squeezed that trigger is why I second guessed myself. Because I thought that cat was a goner. I about crapped a flat brick when he peaked up over that brush and ducked down. Looking back on it,it acted as if nothing had happened. It just heard a loud noise or so he thought was all it was. I'm glad it wasn't a wounding shot because I will agree with how hard they are to find. I had to practically trip over one i shot in crp grass one time.

My next question is should I go to where I think he stays at the old homestead not too terrible far from where I shot at him or try to catch him out huntin in the same spot? Because looking at it you wouldn't think it would be a likely spot for a bobcat to be. Its more of your typical coyote stand. I set up in really heavy cover when I call specifically for cats where usually they show up out of nowhere and suprise you and the shots are closer range. This spot is one where I'm more likely to see one coming in. It doesn't look "catty" enough so it makes me think catching him in that area was a fluke deal sort of but I don't know.

Back