Zoomable light question.

pmack

I've handled several zoom-able lights and have one of the cheap ebay headlamps from years ago modified with a red LED. When these lights are focused down to get the farthest throw the beam is square. I used to shoot with a 501b with an aspheric lens and a square beam. I've never looked through a scope with one of the newer large diameter lights on the market today. My question is for the guys using the 66mm, 67mm lens and even the Coyote Light, when the beam is fully focused for the longest throw does it fill the field of view in your scope?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmack when the beam is fully focused for the longest throw does it fill the field of view in your scope?

With regards to the Wicked W402ZF it depends on the range to target, your scope, and scope power setting.

For example at 200 yards target distance your scope field of view (FOV) could be 200+ feet(66.6 yards)wide. When fully focused the light beam will less then 66 yards across @ 200 yards. Because there are literally 1000's of possible scope types, magnifications, and FOV variations, etc. the W402 includes a fully adjustable windage and elevation mount so you can have your light beam full focused for maximum intensity & range (square beam) and perfectly centered in the cross hairs of your scope regardless of scope type.

My personal experience is with the 66lr and the Coyote Light. At 25 yards, yes, at 500 yards, no.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrMy personal experience is with the 66lr and the Coyote Light. At 25 yards, yes, at 500 yards, no.

Pretty broad range, how about 4 power and shooting at 150 yards, does the beam fill the FOV?

Originally Posted By: hunterknapp16Depends on the distance and power with my 402 focused all the way down with my scope.

Originally Posted By: WickedLights
With regards to the Wicked W402ZF it depends on the range to target, your scope, and scope power setting.

Are they functional when the beam does not fill the FOV of your scope or does it need to be dialed back?

Last edited:
still functional if beam doesnt fill scope. i use windage elevation mount on my sniper hawglight to center the light in the fov. works fine

Originally Posted By: danthefoxmanstill functional if beam doesnt fill scope. i use windage elevation mount on my sniper hawglight to center the light in the fov. works fine

You don't have trouble or lose your target all while tracking it? Has it increased your success?

Can't speak on the Wicked lights, but I have both the Coyote Light and Sniper Hawg 66. While the Sniper Hawg is vastly superior to lights of just 3 or 4 years ago, it really isn't in the same class as the Coyote Light. Of course it is pretty much half the price of the Coyote Light and that has to factor in for those who need a good light but can't quite justify the extra expense.

The Coyote Light throws the zoomed beam over an area that is almost 4 times as large as the Sniper Hawg with at least the same brightness as far as I can tell. It also does it with very little rotation to get to from flood to full zoom, but the two biggest factors are (1) Total power control with the rheostat from 0-100%. (2) It has 3 onboard batteries which I have never been able to run down in a night's hunting. It also has a very solid mounting system.

Can anyone tell me the specs on this light? It is a focus light in the description. I am on a budget and a friend told me it is good to 350 yards and would the basic mount be high enough for a regular scope adjustment elevation knob. ... I have emailed the company in Ohio selling these but they have not returned my email with the specs.
dyw48j.jpg

Last edited:
I run my shl 66 just backed off of full zoom (square beam)a little to get "wash" outside the square & it does a great job at 4 to 6 power. The halo allows me to get eyes in the scope until time to drop the hammer. No trouble following the animal at any yardage.

I cant tell any of mine are square at the distances I shoot at night (200 or less) If it put them on something way out there than I can see the square,but with it centered in the cross hairs it does'nt make much difference .

Originally Posted By: jmeddyI run my shl 66 just backed off of full zoom (square beam)a little to get "wash" outside the square & it does a great job at 4 to 6 power. The halo allows me to get eyes in the scope until time to drop the hammer. No trouble following the animal at any yardage.

I run my Wicked 402 the exact same way.

No trouble following animal and definitely has improved my success. Spend a lot of time at range and working loads for my guns with old lights I was using I topped out at 200 yds with my sniper hawg light I've had several kills over 300 yds on fox.when fully adjusted out I can identify in my scope over 400.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpCan't speak on the Wicked lights, but I have both the Coyote Light and Sniper Hawg 66. While the Sniper Hawg is vastly superior to lights of just 3 or 4 years ago, it really isn't in the same class as the Coyote Light. Of course it is pretty much half the price of the Coyote Light and that has to factor in for those who need a good light but can't quite justify the extra expense.

The Coyote Light throws the zoomed beam over an area that is almost 4 times as large as the Sniper Hawg with at least the same brightness as far as I can tell. It also does it with very little rotation to get to from flood to full zoom, but the two biggest factors are (1) Total power control with the rheostat from 0-100%. (2) It has 3 onboard batteries which I have never been able to run down in a night's hunting. It also has a very solid mounting system.
====================================================
Since you have both lights(I have the 66lr), maybe you can answer this question: When you zoom the coyole light in and out, does the beam stay centered with your scope's reticle?
My 66 has so much slop in the threads, that when it's zoomed, the beam wanders completely out of the center of my scope!
I don't use the adjustable mount, just one that locks onto a picatinny rail. I've used teflon tape on the threads and that helped quite a bit, but the beam in the 66 lr is off center, or eccentric rather than concentric!!
Is the beam on the Coyote light concentric (centered) while zooming in and out??
It seems like a PITA to me to have to re-adjust the mount on a light to keep it centered in your scope every time you change the zoom setting!!!
thumbdown.gif

F1

Back