Co-workers first

fratri

Coyote down, what a great night to be out…. I took a co-worker out for his first called in coyote kill. We set up just before 4pm. The wind was a little iffy (according to the weather network it was suppose to be blowing right into our faces but it wasn’t) but I thought we should give it a try anyway as we still had the wind in our favour. My thinking was we could do a quick set here and then run over to another farm a few kilometers away before it got dark. I set up my partner over to my right so he would have the first crack at anything coming to the edge of the bush. With the sun high in the sky any coyote would be a hesitant to break for the open field.
I placed the ecaller/decoy about 30 yds to my left. Once we got settled in I turned on the volume of my ecaller so it would play a really really quiet dying rabbit sound, it was low enough that we could barely hear it from our setup location.
Grabbing a hand call I scream out for 30-40 seconds and then went silent for a minute. I repeated the process, 30 seconds screaming, 1 minute silence. I did this a third time only to see my partner shift slightly and go down on his scope. I look over his shoulder to see a coyote standing there facing us. I notice my partner stiffen up as he gets ready to shoot…….. and a second later the coyote drops…. DRT…. He is pretty excited and begins talking to me, I quickly cut him off and start playing pup distress… after 1 minute or so I decide to call the set, congratulate him on his first coyote shot by being called in….We go over to have a look as he is pretty pumped....

After taking a few photos we made our way to the other farm. We didn't shot at anything on this farm but we had a great time/experience.

Using my hands call I ended calling in 2 coyotes, but they just wouldn't close the gap for a nice shot but it was pretty cool. I started howling they started howling oh we went back and forth for 25 minutes…. Both my buddy and I thought that was so awesome, watching them, getting them to howl....cool really cool….. Anyway here are the pics of the one we got….

Hey man, good on you for taking someone out for their every first yote.

Ive been trying to get some friends I know to come out, but never any takers, so Ive never had a chance to see someone get their first. Myself it just seems like I just go through the motions now. Dont get me wrong, Im still happy for a clean kill. I think I just I guess trained myself to be calm and like you did, play pup distress and wait for the double, triple or even a quad. lol I lied, if I got a quad Id be squirtin goo everywhere. lol

sh1t sorry fratri for the lil derail lol

Nice job
smile.gif

Good going. Make sure them eastern coyotes don't make it out west! Would hate to get even less for my fur. Lol.

Titch after reading that I will not be reading any of your threads starting with "Horny Male..." Lol.

Last edited:
Back