Baiting

I talked to mr. nagel today.He will have some 25 gr. available end of Feb. I ordered a box of 30 gr.Kindler golds from wood chuck den today. Have heard alot of good things about the 30 gr.for coyote and wolves.

Congratulations DoubleUp!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
I finally scored today. I've had coyote coming in but haven't been able to get a shot on them yet. All this snow we just got is going to help. I went out today around noon to add some more bait to my pile and walked up on a bobcat with just his [beeep] sticking out of the snow lol. I was thirty yards from it before I realized what I was looking at. My son just let my beagle out on the chain and off course he caught wind of the cat and started howling LMAO. cat took off like a bat out of [beeep]!! Well a couple hours later I look out back and the cat is back at the bait. I really don't want to shoot cats just coyotes but I wanted another nice bobcat rug for my new house. So I got my contender out and rigged up the .17HMR barrel so I wouldn't damage him too bad. Well pictures say the rest! 20 grain Hornady XTP bullets. Pretty decent cat I'm 6'3" 220 pounds for reference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LDhunterNice cat and your moose and landscape pics are great too...

You took a moose with a handgun? Cool!

$bob$

Thanks and yes I did S&W M29-3 .44Magnum 240 grain XTP reloads.

I'll be trying to get a coyote (or two) over a bait pile over this next week. I just placed the bait pile on my family ground today. One question for you pros....will my truck bother the coyotes @ night if it's parked out in our CRP field 350 yards away from the bait?

I'll be parked about 100 yards away from my B-N-L's house and plan on parking out there just before dark and hanging out in the truck, for several hours maybe, to see if I can catch some coyotes coming into the bait @ night.

We're supposed to get 5-7 inches of snow tonight through tomorrow here in Eastern Iowa and with the full moon only a few days away I figured it was now or never if I wanted to try this.

I tested out my 20 Practical using 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings on a hog's head that is part of the bait pile, and I was able to put a bullet right smack in the middle of it's forehead @ 350 yards so I'm not too worried about making the shot on a coyote if I get the opportunity.
cool.gif

Wow, I just noticed this is my 1000th post in here. Maybe that's a sign? LOL
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IAyoteHNTROne question for you pros....will my truck bother the coyotes @ night if it's parked out in our CRP field 350 yards away from the bait?

Anyone?

I don't think it will make any difference on dark nights. I've called them right to the truck when there isn't any moon. Moonlight nights, you might need the truck parked in the shade of a tree line or building. Probably nobody responded because none of the bait site folks consider themselves "pros". We're just guys trying to help each other without a lot of "ego maniacs".

Cutleryotehunter, Nice going on the cat.

IAyoteHNTR, I park my truck maybe 300 yards from the cabin and walk in when I stay the night there. I do however park the truck beside a gas well that's on the farm, to break up the outline somewhat. As well, there are trees inbetween the cabin and truck.

I'm not sure how much the truck might affect the coyote hunting, but I suspect that it won't be much of an issue at 350 yards. As DoubleUp mentioned, it might be good to try to park it near trees, buildings or objects.

Good luck with it.

Ive called fox right up to the truck in the daylight.Coyotes are a whole different story.If the coyotes are bedding nearby and see you or hear you come in they may shy away.350 yards is a long way and I would bet if you can hit that far at night you,l kill coyotes.

I saw my 4th coyote last night.It was only 40 yards away.It didnt hang around long but its nice to have the action.I watch a gray fox every night and so far I don,t have the heart to shoot him.

It's almost 3am and I'm making my coffee and about to head out to watch my bait pile til sunrise since the skies cleared the last few hours and we have a fresh 10" of snow on the ground and the moon is almost full. I might get to have clear enough skies tonight as well and if I do I'll be headed out just before dark to go watch the bait pile again. It will be interesting to see if I can actually catch a coyote coming into it.
cool.gif

Coyote for bait pile????

Have any of you guys used the coyote you shot for bait???
I know the birds of all sorts will eat them up but will it attract or scare away any new coyote from approaching the bait pile.
I cut off the legs and head so that the dead coyotes cousins would not recognize him!!!!!
What do you think.

UH.... I've never known a coyote to eat another coyote and of course they'll know him by smell... I don't think ANY coyote will be good bait for another.

A can of sardines has always worked for me and they're cheap. They'll at least investigate if they don't eat it. If you want them to stay awhile try table scraps if you don't have a fresh kill...

To not recognize him was supposed to be a joke-my bad
I have run out of deer scraps and table scraps and was hoping they would come in to the chopped up coyote.

My baits are buried under close to 3 feet of snow here in Southern Coastal Maine and it still snowing. The moon was right to sit recently but We cannot hunt Sundays. After this storm I am going to snowshoe around the peremiter of the fields where my baits are and over to the bait pile to entice the coyotes to get to it. The deer here are screwed right now.

That's a lot of snow, Mike. Do you think coyotes can smell the bait under that much snow? I imagine they can. Maybe pour some good smelling stuff over the top of the bait pile, something like a liquid that might penetrate down through the snow. Just guessing what might help here.

Somewhere I read that coyotes will eat other coyotes. Not sure how correct that statement is though.

I couldn't say one way or another on the coyote eating coyote thing. IDK....Ive never come across a scene that would make me think that. Crows, ravens, hawks and eagles will pick em apart, I know that for sure.
I will freshen up my baits 6mm06. They know its there and I smeared some skunk essence mixed with beaver castor on a tree near the bait. Ive got plenty of bait still so I got my fingers crossed.

Back