12 gauge dead coyote 3" 1.5 ounce T shot range for coyotes?

I've shot two coyote with 3" 12 ga Dead Coyote. One at 50 yards one at 70 yards. Both easy broadside shots. Both coyotes tumbled, then poped right back up and headed for the hills. I won't be using dead coyote any more. (for perspective, its not my shooting, I have a Browning BPS with a red dot and I've killed dozens of deer and turkey with it. Exept for the two coyote and one miss on a turkey and one miss on a deer, somethings died every time I've pull the trigger on game. That's been a lot of meat in the last 12 years I've had the gun.)

Since loosing the first two coyote I've shot at, I switched to using a .22 mag. I droped on coyote in its tracks at 40 yards with a shot just under the chin. I dropped anohther with a shotgun slug while deer hunting (not good for saving fur!)and my friend used my .22 mag to take one I called out onto the ice, maybe a 50 yard shot, dropped in its tracks.

So based on my limited experience, Dead Coyote shot is a real dissapointment. Which is strange becuase high density shot has given me dramatically better performance on birds. 3" winchester high density shot #5's has allowed me to take many turkey past the 50 yard mark. I had my best duck season ever when I scored a bunch of Remington Wingmaster HD#6's for a reasonable price, it was like it doubled my effective range over steel shot.

Last edited:
I'll never know..... Because I can't make myself buy the stuff. They mark it up 100% because it says dead coyote on it. I shoot winchester long beard 1 1/2 #4 and although there is a picture of a turkey on the box, they will still kill coyotes

Originally Posted By: MAArcherI've shot two coyote with 3" 12 ga Dead Coyote. One at 50 yards one at 70 yards. Both easy broadside shots. Both coyotes tumbled, then poped right back up and headed for the hills.

So based on my limited experience, Dead Coyote shot is a real dissapointment.

you pattern that shotgun at 50 and 70 yards with that dead coyote ammo? if you did you probably know you should have never shot at the 70 yard coyote. maybe not even the 50 yard coyote.

nothing wrong with the dead coyote ammo. it is very good in fact. but it cost way way way to much.

Originally Posted By: MAArcherI've shot two coyote with 3" 12 ga Dead Coyote. One at 50 yards one at 70 yards. Both easy broadside shots. Both coyotes tumbled, then poped right back up and headed for the hills. I own't be using dead coyote any more. (for perspective, its not my shooting, I have a Browning BPS with a red dot and I've killed dozens of deer and turkey with it. Exept for one miss on a turkey and one miss on a deer, somethings died every time I've pull the trigger on game.)

Since loosing my the firt two coyote I've shot at, I switched to using a .22 mag. I droped on coyote in its tracks at 40 yards with a shot just under the chin. I dropped anohther with a shotgun slug (not good for saving fur!) and my friend used my .22 mag to take one I called out onto the ice, maybe a 50 yard shot, dropped in its tracks.

So based on my limited experience, Dead Coyote shot is a real dissapointment. Which is strange becuase high density shot has given me dramatically better performance on birds. 3" winchester high density shot #5's has allowed me to take many turkey past the 50 yard mark. I had my best duck season ever when I scored a bunch of Remington Wingmaster HD#6's for a reasonable price, it was like it doubled my effective range over steel shot.

How did the load pattern for you?

Given the price, I didn't do any pattern testing. I was using the Dead Coyote choke tube, and I shot one shot at a clay pigeon 50 yards away. The pigeon broke and the pattern seamed centered, so I figured I was good to go.

If the ammo can't pattern well and take game out to 70 yards as advertised, it's not worth the $3 a trigger pull to me. I'll just use lead if I try the shotgun again.

Originally Posted By: MAArcherGiven the price, I didn't do any pattern testing. I was using the Dead Coyote choke tube, and I shot one shot at a clay pigeon 50 yards away. The pigeon broke and the pattern seamed centered, so I figured I was good to go.

If the ammo can't pattern well and take game out to 70 yards as advertised, it's not worth the $3 a trigger pull to me. I'll just use lead if I try the shotgun again.

omg.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: MAArcherGiven the price, I didn't do any pattern testing. I was using the Dead Coyote choke tube, and I shot one shot at a clay pigeon 50 yards away. The pigeon broke and the pattern seamed centered, so I figured I was good to go.

omg.
rolleyes.gif

I figured as much...
smile.gif

You can dissagree with Those that tell you 22 mag after 50yrds is a bad idea.. Try it.. See how that goes for you.. You will find out the same thing that everyone is telling you..

I would prefer a 12g vs a 22mag at night, it's not as easy as it is during the day. perfect shots are tougher to take.. IMO

I would rather use a 223 or something along that lines, (204..ect) at night and a shotgun if they get really really close.. But would rather do a 223 at 50yrds vs a shotgun at night, or during the day for that matter.
I save the shotgun for closeup shots, and try to get every single one in close enough for a shotgun shot.

If a longer than desired shot is all you can get at a coyotethat needs to be dealt with, it may be alright , just give him all you can, althought they may not be drt. A pellet thru a lung or bowel will result in death soon.

My shot of choice #4 buck. I had a Browning BPS 10 ga but now use a Berreta Extrema II. I have used a multitude of reload combos pulse every factory load I am able to find. I have used all the factory chokes pluse the Dead Coyote, Pattern Master, Drakekiller, and several others which I forget the name. The Dead Coyote factory load is the only load I have every used that will consistently patter well with a tight choke, out of my guns modified works best, may not be by a big margine but it's there

The Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads have a better name for coyote loads than any shotgun shell you can shoot at coyotes.

There was many waterfowl denser than lead loads and a Remington Ultimate Defense BB 2-3/4" load that I would prefer to use on coyotes over the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot loads.

There are two main reasons I prefer the other loads, they are cheaper and they have more pellets per shell.

The Remington Wingmaster HD 3" BB Waterfowl load had 20 more pellets per shell than the Hevi-Shot 3" T shot DC loads. Both of these shot types are 12g/cc density. The Rem HD BBs break coyote bones and penetrate like crazy so why not use a shell that has 20 more pellets in it?

The Hevi-Shot DC T shot and Remington HD Predator T shot are some deadly pellets but the patterns they give fall apart way before their killing power does. So you can luck out and kill a few coyotes at very long ranges with them.

I don't plan on shooting coyotes at over 50 yards away even though all of my coyote shotgun loads are capable of killing coyotes farther away than 50 yards.

I have done quite a few penetration tests and both the 12g/cc T shot and BB shot out penetrated the lead number 4 buckshot pellets by quite a bit.

If you can luck out and find any Federal Heavyweight #2 shot loads at a decent price buy them. Federal Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead and it is much harder than lead.

Federal Has some 3" Heavyweight Coyote BB 1-1/2 oz loads that are much denser "15g/cc" than Hevi-Shot DC T shot loads "12g/cc" and they have 12 more pellets per shell than the DC T shot 3" loads have. If I was going to buy the high dollar stuff I would go with the Federal Heavyweight BB loads not the Hevi-Shot DC T shot loads.

Most of these denser than lead waterfowl loads are no longer being made so If you find any at a decent price buy them.

Check out the below link for the Winchester Xtended Range 3" 1-3/8 oz B shot loads with FREE SHIPPING by the case.
http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=12560

These Win Xtended Range B shot loads are the same density "12g/cc" as Hevi-Shot and Remington HD shot so they will smoke coyotes at 50 yards and less.

These Win Xtended Range B shot loads have around 78 pellets per shell and for $2.20 per shell they are selling for about $2.00 to $2.50 less per shell than Hevi-Shot is selling for now. These shells are no longer being made so if you want some you better get them while you can. If you bought Heavyweight 13 shot right now and reloaded 3" 1-3/8 oz loads it would cost you more than $2.20 per shell to reload them.

The shot seemed centered on a clay pigeon?

I could have some real fun with your shotgun patterning technique.... But I'm not gonna lol

Back