shed traps in Arizona

jace f

Is it legal to have a shed trap in arizona? I've heard different things from different people and the regs are unclear. Thanks

The following would prohibit using something edible to attract deer and elk in AZ.

R12-4-303 A4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:

a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or

b. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.

Other attractants that contain cervid urine would also be prohibited in another section of R12-4-303. I do not think a shed trap would work very well without an attractant.

Last edited:
But is shed hunting "taking" a big game species? I would think not but hey better safe than sorry I guess. Call the local wardens and ask

Originally Posted By: reaper4But is shed hunting "taking" a big game species? I would think not but hey better safe than sorry I guess. Call the local wardens and ask

he already answered the question

A quick Google search shows most traps using piles of bait and wire mesh of some sort. Maybe putting them near a water hole? Sounds like even though the original intent of the laws was not to prohibit shed traps that they have all but closed any loopholes for using them. Good luck.

Last edited:
Oh yeah good thinking fursniper I did not think about that. Thank you. A shed trap is when you place food next to a piece of cattle pannel or fencing and when a buck or bull elk come to eat the feed around sheding time their antler hit the fenceing and get knocked off.

Originally Posted By: reaper4But is shed hunting "taking" a big game species?
Here is the definition for "take" in AZ.

ARS 17-101 A20 "Take" means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or the placing or using of any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in the capturing or killing of wildlife.

Don't forget the "attracting" part. That seems pretty clear to me that you would not be able to bait elk for any purpose.

But the law stated seems pretty clear that it says it may not be used to aid the TAKING of big game. The attraction part is stated after that meaning you can't use it to "attract" a big game animal so you can "take" it. I would call the law office there and ask. I have no idea because I have never even been there, but just going by the law stated, that seems to only pertain to taking big game. Is it illegal to feed deer or elk there?? If so then that ends it there. It is illegal to feed elk here, so you couldn't do it for elk here but can for deer.

Pretty clear in the regs that you cannot use bait to attract big game. Doesn't matter how you plan to "take" it or not. Most western states don't allow baiting or food plots. Not like the east where it is common practice in hunting.

I was participating on a desert bighorn capture today with a lot of AZGFD people today and was paired with one of their biologists. I asked this very question to her since I had read this thread. Her reply was Can't do that in AZ.

Back