Great night out in PA!! 12-26-14

hunterknapp16

Well, it is my first new topic post on here. I have been on other sites before and don't know why I hadn't spent time here!!

Myself and two friends headed out Friday night like we usually do. It starts out by meeting at the local Convenience store to get stocked up on snacks and caffeine for the night out. Too many animals on the night to detail every one of them, but it ended with us seeing 15 sets of eyes including a small bobcat that came in to within 15 feet of us and could have easily been taken had it been season here in PA. All of the fox were coming in as doubles this night and we connected on both of them at one spot which is the two greys on the right. We were calling along a standing cornfield with a deep creek running up the side of it and we were standing on the farm road seperating it and the woods. After about 5 minutes of rabbit sounds I switched to Platinum Grey. After 5 minutes of that I switched to a combo of Adult grey fox and steeltown grey on the Shockwave. Less than a minute later I see a deer running straight to us. It was a small fawn and it actually had me thinking coyote when I first saw it coming through the woods. lol. We laughed about it and I turn back towards the woods just in time to see a grey bolt across the farm trail and into the edge of the corn. It snuck up the edge of the corn heading directly to the front of the speaker. I dropped her at about 25yds with my .22mag. I then scan back across to see another grey standing in the trail. It bolted directly away from us and turned into the corn and disappeared. I immediately switched to the old grey fox fight that has screaming grey. A few seconds later the big boy pops out right beside where his partner was laying. I waited for our shotgunner this time and it snuck down into the creek and started to bolt. Both my mag and the shotgun barked at the same time and #2 was down. Upon further inspection he had about 40 #4's in it and I had taken it dead center through both shoulders with the mag. A big 14lb male.

Two of the coon ran right in to the call and climbed the nearest tree including the big ole 25lb boar on the right. All of the coon came to a combo of bay bee and cagie cottontail.

Now the red. We called in a place that has already produced a red this year. It is an old RR track bed. Almost instantly after turning on bay bee and cagie we had eyes a few hundred yards down the tracks. It took him 11 minutes to slowly zig zag his way to us. Finally at 50yds he stops for a shot but quickly bolts down the brush and into the field. I could see his head clearly for a long shot with the mag so I took it and put it right in the base of his muzzle between the eyes. We went down and grabbed him and headed back to the truck when suddenly we see eyes at about 150yds the opposite way. We tried the rabbit sounds and nothing, then I tried platinum grey with no response. We didn't see them anymore so we turned to leave and see ANOTHER fox running to us from where I shot mine. He stopped out of range so I started lip squeaking and he bolted to us, ran in to less than 50yds and my buddy misses him with his .17 hornet. lol. We laughed and went to go back to the truck and, yup, you guessed it, not one, but two sets of eyes in the other direction. haha. This time I lit them up and see two big ole coon sitting in the edge of the corn chowing. I turned on coon pup distress and nothing, so I left it on and headed toward them. They LET us walk right up to and easy 30 yard shot and after I shot the first the second walk to us and I took him too!! One crazy set. lol!! The big male red weighed in at just a hair under 15lbs.

The other grey was taken in the edge of a swamp using a combo of platinum grey and johnny stewart gray fox pup.

The cat was called in with cagie cottontail and we saw other reds and a grey that were all called in with a start out of eastern cottontail, cagie or baby and finishing with the various grey sounds.

IMAG1041_zps667972aa.jpg

I'm on the opposite side of the county right on the bradford/susquehanna line to the east and broome county, ny line just to the north. Anyways, good on ya man and keep up the good work!

thats sweet dude. Im new to predator hunting but absolutely addicted. ive only got two greys. I could really use some tips on calling in PA. I only target grey fox, mainly because im not confident goin for reds or yotes. ive been hunting hard for a good two months with 4-5 responses and two dead greys. I could use some help!

Originally Posted By: mcharltonSounds like you had a great night buddy!

Hey man, what's up?? We're you wondering why I wasn't responding?? Lol. Banned again. Pm me your email again.

Originally Posted By: hunterknapp16Originally Posted By: mcharltonSounds like you had a great night buddy!

Hey man, what's up?? We're you wondering why I wasn't responding?? Lol. Banned again. Pm me your email again.

LOL, I kind of figured that when you vanished again! PM sent!

Back