coyotes and fences

No not necessarily. In California i used to sit in the fence along the hightway. Thye would just wait for the traffic to go by. Was a quicker way to get in more call stands in a day. Just depends on where you are and what the particular coyotes are comfortable with. Used to sit next to oil wells that were running also. They are used to some things in their environment and as long as threat is not associated can respond. Around where i live now they are used to bullets flying from every pickup they get near so it is a whole different story.

Last edited:
Thank you. Where I live there is a lot of small wood plots 200acre parcels or so often broken up by boundary fences and small roads. It hard to play the wind here without crossing a few fences, with permission of coarse

A fence line can be used also by coyotes to mark their own boundaries from what I understand. So if you are in an area and don't call the local coyotes in, another may not cross that particular fence to avoid a possible confrontation with the other Coyote. JMO

I hunted Saturday night along a fence that is next to a landfill I stayed close to a road and along the fence well they crawled under a10" open at the bottom and came in but had no shots I could hear them going back and forth under the fence.They will and do go right under them.I went back in today and cut in a blind watching the areas they got under.Now just need them to follow the plan...

All very interesting. Lotta fences in the area. We don't call over 500+ acres here. Coyotes are all ways very leary and some what educated. I just can't seem to call em in lately.

hardly any fence or road will stop them, unless as stated a natural territory boundary, seen them cross a fence at night and never miss a step

a lot of my coyotes die while attempting to cross a fence, a weedy fence line can be very productive, they seem to cross territorial lines often, too. I have many times caught 2 big males feet apart on farms I believe are on a boundary, some the same night. If you take out local coyotes the neighbors come over after a few days and start getting caught, too

One of our spots that lays out best for a north wind has a very tight fence that a coyote cannot pass through that runs north-south. There is a gate about 1/2 way down on the west side. Most of the coyotes come from an abandoned industrial site on the west side of the road...we figured out the best way to hunt it is to use the gate as their entrance onto the field.

Originally Posted By: Rodney LaCazeOne of our spots that lays out best for a north wind has a very tight fence that a coyote cannot pass through that runs north-south. There is a gate about 1/2 way down on the west side. Most of the coyotes come from an abandoned industrial site on the west side of the road...we figured out the best way to hunt it is to use the gate as their entrance onto the field.

No offense meant, sir. But I am going to have to politely disagree with you.
There isn't a barb wire fence made, that a coyote "cannot" get thru.
Now, he may not "want" to. But if he wants, he will.

Even hog and sheep fencing won't stop them, if they really want to get thru it.
And, if for some reason they don't think that they will fit thru it...they will find a way under it, or over it.
It all depends on how badly they want to get to the other side.
wink.gif

Will, I am not sure that is what Rodney meant. He could be talking about a hard to get under, through, or over fence when there is an open gate half way down the fencerow. A coyote will nearly always take the easy route.

Originally Posted By: possumalWill, I am not sure that is what Rodney meant. He could be talking about a hard to get under, through, or over fence when there is an open gate half way down the fencerow. A coyote will nearly always take the easy route.

Ah...Ok. Sometimes (as I'm sure you know), things on the internet can get confused.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Originally Posted By: Rodney LaCazeOne of our spots that lays out best for a north wind has a very tight fence that a coyote cannot pass through that runs north-south. There is a gate about 1/2 way down on the west side. Most of the coyotes come from an abandoned industrial site on the west side of the road...we figured out the best way to hunt it is to use the gate as their entrance onto the field.

in the chase with the grey hounds, fences did not stop, they will jump and never lose stride

No offense meant, sir. But I am going to have to politely disagree with you.
There isn't a barb wire fence made, that a coyote "cannot" get thru.
Now, he may not "want" to. But if he wants, he will.

Even hog and sheep fencing won't stop them, if they really want to get thru it.
And, if for some reason they don't think that they will fit thru it...they will find a way under it, or over it.
It all depends on how badly they want to get to the other side.
wink.gif

We have to scout for fence crossing and setup calling stands near the crossing, because we have had coyotes come up to a fence and stop if there is not a crossing close by.

Watch the coyote go through the barb wire fence at the beginning of this video.

[video:youtube][/video]

Didn't seem to pay it any attention.

Last edited:
I know when I was trapping if there was a field with an open gate a set on either side of the openning was about the best place to put in a set. It seems that they really like moving along the farm roads.

Seen em go over fences, seen em go under fences. Even seen em hang around on fences. Doesn't seem to bother them any.

With 6-8 greyhounds after them they definitely don't look for a gate.
I don't hunt with dogs but have gone along in the past and it was fun. Not like calling them in but it was definitely fun

Back