NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Fabulous thread! I've read every post in it, and am now in the process of doing a patterning of my new 12 gauge based on everything I have learned here. I've got 40 yards pretty well locked in, and I am trying to work up from there. Details and pics will follow in a week or so, when I have tested more loads and chokes. Meanwhile, I have put together the following. Thanks for all your work.

Seventeen Lessons I've Learned From Reading This Thread
1.) Claims of consistent 60+ yard shotgun patterns cannot usually be confirmed, so keep your expectations realistic.
2.) The 60+ yard claims are probably due to a lucky shot or an inaccurate measurement by pacing, rather than a more formal measurement method.
3.) A true 40 yards is probably farther away than you think.
4.) For the average guy, consistency (5 or more pellets in an 8" circle) at an honest, measured 40 yards is a good initial goal, with 50 yards being the stretch goal.
5.) There is no substitute for hands-on patterning of your own firearm, using a variety of loads/chokes/distances
6.) Be SAFE and consistent in your approach, using the same shooting position, backing and targets, and retain all patterns for study and verification.
7.) Lead pellets are the "old reliable;" steel and non-toxic are newer and more expensive.
8.) Steel is lighter weight than lead; non-toxic is usually (but not always) heavier than lead. Heavier is better.
9.) A good test of patterning to get you in the ballpark would be 3 or 4 different chokes at ranges from 25, 40, 50 and (possibly) 60 yards, using 4 different loads
10.) A good selection of loads for testing would be BB, T, #4 buck and 00 buck, listed from smallest reasonable pellet size to the largest.
11.) Note that the T is non-toxic "Hevi-Shot" and the BB may be copper plated lead. This gives you the opportunity for variation in your testing.
12.) Despite its easy availability, 00 buck is probably too big/too few pellets to qualify. If the loads you want to test aren’t available locally, you will need to order your shells online for delivery.
13.) An unusually good pattern should be confirmed with two more shots. It might have been a fluke.
14.) A recipe for 40 yard consistency should be relatively easy if you follow the above. Fifty yards and beyond is more art than science.
15.) If you find 2 or 3 load/choke/distance combinations that are about equal in consistency, do density testing on those by shooting at thick catalogs.
16.) For your "go-to" load, choose the best combination that also penetrates the most pages of a catalog.
17.) If you follow the above, you can take to the field in confidence and good conscience, knowing that you are prepared for any situation (including NOT taking the shot.)

I know some of the lessons might seem really basic to the old pros. But for someone like me -- an old-time deer hunter with a rifle, new to scatterguns for predators -- the basic stuff I found here, like what the different shot sizes mean, the different pellet compositions, and, especially, the expectation as to results, was invaluable. Thanks again for the education.....

Originally Posted By: MrHedgeHog8.) Steel is lighter weight than lead; non-toxic is heavier than lead. Heavier is better.

non toxic is not always heavier than lead. and the makers sometimes get very tricky with the labeling. beware.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: MrHedgeHog8.) Steel is lighter weight than lead; non-toxic is heavier than lead. Heavier is better.

non toxic is not always heavier than lead. and the makers sometimes get very tricky with the labeling. beware.

Good correction. Thanks for the info.

My personal patterning project is now 3/4 completed. I've found a consistent 50 yard combination and have one more choke to test (as soon as it arrives.) I'm surprised by how many apparently reasonable combinations can't even get to 40 yds consistently, much less 50. Will be glad to post details and pics.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobLesson #18- if you knock a coyote down with a shotgun and the coyote is still moving shoot the coyote again until it stops moving.

+1 On that ive learnt that the hard way,i also use that advise with rile

Here are the results to date of the project to find the best coyote load for a new Remington 870 Tactical Express with an 18 1/2" barrel and a MagPul Stock, based on pattern testing.
Chokes Tested -- Factory Cylinder, Remington SF Turkey, Kick's Howler and Carlson Dead Coyote.
Loads Tested -- BB, Dead Coyote T, # 4 Buck, and 00 Buck.
Optic -- Sparc II Red Dot sighted in at 25 ft for POA=POI with #8 birdshot. (Took 1 shot, with adjustment, to get it dead on.)
Backstop/Targets -- Multiple layers of plywood supported by a metal stand in front of an earth berm/8" stick-on targets.
Distances -- Measured with a push-wheel measurer and marked with stakes.
Dates/Time of Testing -- Various times over a three week period in December, 2014.
Shooting Stance -- Sitting on a bucket, using a shooting stick.
Flinch Factor -- Probably a bit.
Distances Tested -- varied from 25, 40, 50 up to 60 yds.
Endpoint -- The number of hits in the 8" circle for any given load/distance/choke.
Criterion -- A minimum of 5 hits within the 8 " circle is required to be considered as "the best coyote load."
Distance Rule -- If the round didn't meet the criteria at a given distance, it did not advance to the next distance and the box is left blank.
Winning shot had to be confirmed by two more shots. Otherwise, the data is based on one round.
All targets/patterns were retained.
Based on the number of hits within the 8" circle, the only winning combination at 50 yards was the Carlson choke with the Dead Coyote T load.

1393.jpg

Sincere thanks to everyone on this forum for giving this newbie the opportunity to get into the predator scattergun game correctly.

I like your approach. Understand that if you change any one thing results may likely be different. Good hunting, stay safe...

Thanks, GC. I got coyote fever this fall, and this has been part of a project to get two new firearms (a centerfire and a shotgun) up and running. I hadn't bought a new gun in 28 years, and nothing I had in the gun case was working out on the range or in the field. So last month I bought two! I feel like I have the shotgun patterned to 50 yards with the Carlson choke and DC-T shot, and will stick with this combination through some field testing. Meanwhile, I am now zeroing my new Savage Axis .223, finding the right load, and practicing out to 250 yds.
1396.jpg

Awesome thread! I've been inspired to have the barrel on my 20" Mossberg threaded for choke tubes and I'm looking at chokes. Unfortunately, I live in California and hunting with lead is not legal. I know that steel sucks but it is a reality that at some point...I will be shooting steel due to the cost and rarity of tungsten or bismuth. My cylinder bore measures .730". From reading this thread it seams like I'm looking for a .680" choke or a .670". I can get a Kicks Gobbling Thunder in .670. Does anyone know if the buck kicker extra full is .680"? I sent an email to kicks already. Will I have a problem shooting 3" steel T shot through these chokes?

Welcome to the madness desertjc! I recently moved from Cali to get away from the "Lead Free B.S." However if you PM a member here named derbyacresbob He would most likely tell you how to handle the lead free loads. He has a lot of info for hunting the Condor area, and would most likely point you in the proper direction for ammo, as well as a proper choke. Good luck!

Kicks got back to me today. Mossberg accuchoke Buck kicker extra full is .690". High Flyer extra full is .710". I asked if they had a .680" available and they said yes in a gobblin thunder, but I would need to call to order it.

Originally Posted By: desertcjKicks got back to me today. Mossberg accuchoke Buck kicker extra full is .690". High Flyer extra full is .710". I asked if they had a .680" available and they said yes in a gobblin thunder, but I would need to call to order it.

If you are planning on shooting steel shot I wouldn't get a real tight choke.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: desertcjKicks got back to me today. Mossberg accuchoke Buck kicker extra full is .690". High Flyer extra full is .710". I asked if they had a .680" available and they said yes in a gobblin thunder, but I would need to call to order it.

If you are planning on shooting steel shot I wouldn't get a real tight choke.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to shoot up to T steel shot, non-toxic BB and 00 lead buck shot. I realize that I probably can't get the best performance with all of these out of one choke. Is the .690" too tight to handle the steel?

new update. i found some of the "red box" of federal 3" #4 buck, with 41 copper platted pellets at 1,100fps. at gander mountain last week and out of my full choke they through a very uniform and even pattern with 15 pellets in 10" circle which was impressive to me with just a full choke. they will now be my go to load as far as factory ammo goes. way better results then the blue box of federal 4 buck i had. i couldn't get them to shoot good at all. i also found the 1 7/8oz lead bb load they make and purchased it but was very disappointed in the patterns with the full choke. i will try them in my turkey choke tomorrow and see how they do although i had rather shoot what shoots good in just a full choke in case i see squirrels or a grouse while out hunting. i also got the 3" 00 buck with the flight control wad with 12 pellets but they did not shoot near as good as there self defense version or my winchester razorback loads but was half the price of the razorbacks

Back