Permission to hunt

grinder67

Property that I have been hunting on for many,many years, I still get permission every year. My question is are there any laws that dictate this in any state? On one of the properties that I hunt there are a couple people that also hunt there and according to the land owner haven't talked to or asked him for ten years.The really sad thing to me is one of them is a sheriffs deputy. He came in on top of me this evening and acted like he owned the place. Very frustrating to say the least.

Written permission is always the best. Keep a copy with you while hunting the property. When that Sheriff confronts you again, ask him to show you his.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357When that Sheriff confronts you again,

He's a deputy when on duty, but unless he's allowed to hunt while on duty then he's just another joe and from the sounds of it doesn't deserve much respect as a joe.

Last edited:
His job as a sheriff's deputy gives him no more rights than any other citizen when he's hunting on private property owned by somebody else.
Whether he's off duty, or if his employer allows him to hunt on duty (which I seriously doubt), he is still subject to the game laws and trespass laws exactly like any other hunter.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of a time limit on permission in New Mexico, but the law does state that if permission has been withdrawn then you can't be there. So, one has to infer that as long as you have written permission and no knowledge that it has been withdrawn, you can access the property. With that in mind, it seems like a good practice to have relatively current written permission in your possession when on private land here.

He never confronted me but did see me and went ahead and came to within a hundred yards of me and set down and started hunting. That being said, I ran the scenario through my head of asking him if he had permission to hunt there and the out come for me didn't seem to good.lol. One reason i am sure the land owner would not want the hassle of dealing with it. If he had permission 10 years ago then maybe its still valid in the states mind I dont know. Confronting a law enforcement officer in the middle of no where with no witnesses even though he is trespassing seemed like a good way to end up in jail or worse. On duty or off doesn't matter he is still a law enforcement officer and I'm sure he could care less what anyone thinks or says, he is going to be right and you are going to be wrong. Who is a judge going to believe? Especially with no witnesses.
Now if the land owner told me to say something to him, I would. But just to the extent that he needed to talk to the land owner, Thats all I would say though.
Like I said before, Its frustrating but I suppose the best thing to do is let the land owner handle it if he chooses to do so. After all its not my land ,all I can do is let the land owner know that he is in there.

On a comical side note (To me anyway) on this same property right before gun season came in a hunter (I use that term very lightly) drove his truck over 600 yards through STANDING soybeans to put up his tree stand. The land owner didnt know who done and called the police. Less than a week later while picking the same field the guy approached the farmer and apologized. Said that he wasnt a farmer and didnt know that he was driving over his crop. Now the farmer told me he never even new the guy so obviously he never had asked him to hunt ,but his stand is still there and as far as I know still aloud to hunt.

Sounds like the farmer doesn't have the kahonas to confront the trespassers. Sounds like if someone put up a new house on the back 40 he may just let it be so as not to make any trouble.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterSounds like the farmer doesn't have the kahonas to confront the trespassers. Sounds like if someone put up a new house on the back 40 he may just let it be so as not to make any trouble.

LOL! I would not disagree with that statement. Part of the problem is he does not live on this piece of property and thinks he has no way of controlling who is on it.

I always ask the owner if anyone else has permission besides me. Helps with trespassing as well as being aware that someone else may be out there. I'm with you as well, I try and keep in contact throughout the year with owners as well as reestablish permission every season. I try and treat not only the property like my own, but to be the type of guest that I would want hunting on my property.

Last edited:
I always call my landowners every time prior to going out on their place... I also let them know of all the ones I kill... I always assure them they will know when and where I will be... I use the words "I appreciate" and "thank you" often while talking to them... It does not hurt to butter them up...

Ask permission every year. Things can change. This way you know and he knows that you still want to use his land and might not give permission to someone else that asks. It also keeps that connection between you and landowner.

Every state and or province is different.

In Alberta, if it's not government land, you need permission. I check in with my landowners every season, either in person or by phone. Sometimes the land has changed owners. Sometimes the landowner wants a call every time I plan to access their land and others don't think it necessary.
You need to communicate with the landowner.

Back