seating below canelure

W.Hopmann

I'm loading some Hornady 162gr SST bullets for a Rem 7mm Mag. To seat at the canelure makes the COAL .008 short of spec. Are there any problems seating .008 (below) the canelure to get correct COAL? The bullet is still well within the case and still at.284 diameter in this region (neck of case).

Seating a bullet that way will give you no trouble as long as you are not applying a roll crimp. The canelure is there to roll the case mouth into for a heavy crimp and sometimes as a core lock to help control expansion. Attempting to apply a hard crimp outside the canelure or to a bullet with no canelure can buckle case necks.

I seat the bullets so that the case mouth is below the canelure in a 25-06 exactly as you describe to attain the best accuracy.

There shouldn't be a problem seating the bullets the way you describe. I would do a little research on how to custom seat the bullets for maximum accuracy, [beeep]. If you're happy trying to match a factory load, [beeep], go for it.

I have a BDL in .270 with an extremely long throat, and my pet projectile for the rifle is a 130-grain Speer GS. I have loaded that bullet for over 20 years, and the cannelure is always about 3/16" above the mouth of the case. If your sizer ball is correctly sized you will have absolutely no problems.

Bullets are generic, a rifle is unique. Seating to the COAL and nothing else just ensures that it's factory length and should work in all rifles.

Back