Tripple

Snowshoes

Went to one of my favorite spots this morning that has a long slough that runs between two farms. I see one coyote up by the barns as I walk in so I know there is at least one coyote to work with. After getting settled in I start off with the open reed call (its been working so why change) As I tuck the call back into my jacket I see, one, two, then three coyotes come across the field from the bush to the west. I bark and bark but their not stopping and end up dropping the one at 25 yards in front of me. The other two don't seem to know what to do so I chamber another round (I thought I chambered another round) , pull the trigger and "click".... the one coyote tears off into the cattails and the other starts trotting away. I cycle a round into the chamber and one bark stops the coyote at 34 yards, coyote # 2 down.

I partially stand up to see if I can spot the other coyote in the slough bottom when I hear a coyote start barking at me from the bush. Sit back down and know having this coyote barking is no good. I glass the bush but can't see the culprit so I give a few yelps with the howler. It's not long and the coyote comes to the edge of the trees and it's still barking. Zoom up the scope and a 157 yard shot has coyote number 3 down.

Here's a pic. of the three together.

Boy you can stack them up out there. All the dogs you've posted this year seem darker then I remember last year. Is it me or do your dogs coats get lighter as the winter goes on?

Originally Posted By: stupidnewbieBoy you can stack them up out there. All the dogs you've posted this year seem darker then I remember last year. Is it me or do your dogs coats get lighter as the winter goes on?
I too thought the coats are darker this year. Typically the coats here have been somewhat darker than the coyotes in southern Alberta which is a fair number of miles south. Generally the southern coyotes are a bit smaller than the ones here but they have some of the nicest coyote fur I've ever seen.
If the local coyote population fur does bleach out some as winter progresses, I'll be a happy guy.

Snowshoes,I can't tell you how much I like reading your posts and seeing your pics. Awesome stuff! Keep posting, its good stuff!

Thank you all for the fine comments.
The pics. below shows some of the lighter colored coyotes from here. Still not as pale as the southerns though.
This is a pics. from three years ago when I was shooting a 20 Tactical.

and the 204

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHNice, i have that same set of shooting sticks. How do you like yours?
I built a couple pairs and still have both. They work decent and are cheap to build but lately the BogGear Red Legged devils is the ones I seem to take out the most.

Back