Bolt carriers and silent loading

I also try to be quiet. Not slam doors, tailgates, etc. but I think the worst sound to spook them may be human voices. I try to only whisper around the truck before leaving and preferably not talk at all while walking out or setting up.

I let mine slam home every time I get out of the truck as it's not legal to have one in the chamber while driving here in NV. Never seems to have been a problem, except for maybe scaring my buddies with bolt guns.

I still whisper and close the doors gently. So I guess I'm contradicting myself, but like others have said I've called them in right past the truck, had them come in while my buddy and I were talking and laughing about the one we just missed.

So I say do what you think works for you.

I took my new RRA chrome BCG out yesterday to the range. There is a huge difference in how that BCG locks up vs the cheap ptac palmetto BCG I had been running. this one slides right into lock up and can be manipulated much quieter. I did lube it up, but I think this cures my problems to a large extent. I think if this issues is something that concerns you like it does me. a chrome or some other type of coated BCG is worth a look.

Originally Posted By: reb8600 If they hear the gun, they probably heard your truck coming down the road. I hunt with an AR and have never felt like it was to noisy when I did let it slam.

I agree. Some of you guys are WAY over-complicating this.

Do you think a coyote knows what a AR-15 going into battery sounds like and is scared of it?

#1 Coyote: Hey! Did you hear that?
#2 Coyote: Yep. Sounded like an AR-15 going into battery!
#1 Coyote: Should we leave?
#2 Coyote: Probably just should be alert for a few minutes.
#1 Coyote: HEY! That sounds like a rabbit dying!
#2 Coyote: Let's go eat!

This is one of the arguments for the forward assist. I have had slick sides before and after having seen a few friends encounter problems I am a big fan of the forward assist. One friend had his AR come out of battery and when he pulled the trigger it simply went "click." Another friend tried to gently slide his bolt down and it failed to go into battery.

I make it a habit to push my forward assist as I am going out on stand. Good habits=good results.

I personally try to minimize the amount of unnatural sounds that I make. Do I think that coyotes know what a rifle sounds like, I don't know. Do I think that they do not like unnatural, metallic noises, yep. So a bolt slamming home is probably about as bad as slamming car doors, and jingling keys, or slings swivels clapping. I try not to stomp around when I walk in. Do I think that they cannot hear me? I am sure that they can, I just try to sound as non-threatening as I can.

That way when I ring the dinner bell they might be more likely to come and give it a go.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: reb8600 If they hear the gun, they probably heard your truck coming down the road. I hunt with an AR and have never felt like it was to noisy when I did let it slam.

I agree. Some of you guys are WAY over-complicating this.

Do you think a coyote knows what a AR-15 going into battery sounds like and is scared of it?

#1 Coyote: Hey! Did you hear that?
#2 Coyote: Yep. Sounded like an AR-15 going into battery!
#1 Coyote: Should we leave?
#2 Coyote: Probably just should be alert for a few minutes.
#1 Coyote: HEY! That sounds like a rabbit dying!
#2 Coyote: Let's go eat!

I am going to keep over-complicating it. has worked good for many years. you guys can keep on slamming doors and letting bolt carriers fly. as long as you not hunting with me I don't care.

Originally Posted By: hm1996You can load a slickside quietly using the recess in side of bolt carrier as a leverage point to push carrier forward with thumb. Actually, pushing bolt into battery with your thumb in this recess is less of a problem than getting the bolt to strip that first round out of magazine gently. Most of the time I have to bump the round a few times to break that first round out of mag. I could, of course, drop a single round in the chamber before seating a magazine.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm
Even with FA, using my eyes to watch a round strip off and my thumb to assist lock, is my preferred method anymore. Better feel with my thumb and have experienced jamming a round nicely with the FA.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettThe biggest draw back of an ar 15 for me is I hate the noise it makes getting a round loaded into the chamber. The bolt needs to slam home so that it goes all the way into battery. What I have been doing is cracking a window a couple inches and sticking the barrel out the window to rack a round in the chamber. When I pull up to a stand. I am wondering if there is any other suggestions on this. Would a coated bolt carrier help at all?

Extra lubrication may help, but that can be overly messy. Use your forward assist if you have one. I do plenty of times when there isn't a round in the boom pipe, but that is a rarity.

I have my AR loaded at all times anymore. It takes some getting use to when you been raised to not have a gun loaded in the house or truck, but this is a different world that we live in, and you only need to be more aware and more responsible to avoid bad things from happening. Accidents can be avoided, just use good judgment and have confidence in yourself.

As a side note, I did pick up the reliabolt from Sharps Rifle Co just down the road from me. I'll let you know if that aids in mellowing the sound of the bolt slamming home.

Originally Posted By: BigGrizz
I have my AR loaded at all times anymore.

Is it legal in Wyoming to hunt with a loaded rifle in the truck? I didnt think it was.

They have a "safety dictates" line, or something like that; but no, it's legal. And if I am wrong I'd like to have a government or law enforcement official tell me that I'm wrong because we'll go through the court system all the way to the top and we can see who ends up being wrong.

Back