world record weight on yote ?

Well, the guy was claiming it was 90# until it went to the taxidermist and he weighed it in at 75#. I wasn't there so don't know how official the scale was.

Quote:
denjahn,
Guess you seen this one before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I live in big coyote country and this one equals about the biggest I have ever seen or taken. Got a couple trappers around as well that really bring in the coyotes numbers wise compared to us hunters and the ones I'm familar with have never had a true 70 lber or many that weigh an honest 50 for that matter.
Of course every deer hunter sees the 70 and 80 pounders running around.
If you had a big coyote contest over a week I bet the winner wouldn't break 70 lbs. and probally not 60.

So does that mean I got it right?

To me it looked real close to the size of my recently departed springer spaniel and she weighed 52 lbs so I took that. Nice Yote BTW. I would take one like that any day,any way.

Denny

Here is a nice male I shot here in Pa. about 4 weeks ago. Now I'm 6' 2" and weigh 225 lbs. He really looks like about 50 lbs or more and he felt like it til I took it to my taxidermist and he put it on his digital scale and assured me it was accurate. It weighed 41.7 lbs. I kinda had a little doubt but thats what it read. I hope it was right cause I wanted to brag a little more on it if it was bigger. Pictures do fool you sometimes.

[image]
IMG_9880.jpg
[/image]

Last edited:
Working deer check stations is always fun. Guys will come in with a "200 lb monster" then we put it on the scale and the response is always "Gee, I thought it was bigger than that"!. Coyotes are the same.

The biggest I have ever got were 51 on left and 56 on right. My son 6years old is in the back and you can see the size compared to him.

I live just east of Rochester in Palmyra.Last bow season I saw a BIG son of a gun. I don't know how much it weighed but it was as big if not bigger then a shepard.I couldn't get a shot.

Guys,

i found the article on the NYS coyote...

Record coyote shot

Webster man hits 81-pound, 62-inch male

By JIM CASTOR, STAFF WRITER

A Webster hunter has shot and killed what is believed to be the largest Eastern coyote recorded in New York.

An 81-pound male coyote was shot by Shawn Orchard last week while he was hunting deer with friends on private property in Ontario, Wayne County.

"Two female deer were being pursued by a pack of three coyotes," Orchard said. "We heard them crashing through the brush, physically hunting the deer down. I saw two smaller ones about 15 yards behind the deer, then the big one came into view behind them. I was up in a treestand. The shot was from about 90 yards."

Orchard said he took the coyote home and weighed it on his bathroom scales, after weighing himself to check the scales' accuracy. "It may have been off a pound or two, but that's all," Orchard said.

Orchard then drove to the state Department of Environmental Conservation's Region 8 headquarters in Avon, where wildlife technician Ron Newell confirmed the species.

When taxidermist Rick Streeter of Williamson prepares the hide for mounting, tissue samples from the animal's muscles and tongue will be sent to a wildlife biologist in Syracuse for study. It is possible it's a crossbreed between a wolf and coyote. Wolves, however, are rarely seen in New York.

Robert Chambers, a wildlife ecologist with SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse, said it is "by far, the largest coyote I've heard of in New York."

"I don't know what to make of it," he said. "The size is horrendous. They told me it was 62 inches long. It seemed to have all the characteristics of a coyote. We'd like the tissue samples so we can have some DNA testing done. Some hybridization seems very likely."

Chambers has been studying coyotes in New York since 1969. Their presence has been a source of controversy among hunters, landowners, farmers and others for many years.

Coyote hunting season runs from mid-October to the end of March.

A DEC study in 1991, prompted by a proposal to open the season year-round, concluded that there was no strong demand or need, and that nuisance complaints were localized and not widespread.

But reports persist that coyotes have raided the chicken coop, killed farm livestock or ravaged the family cat. This month biologists in Region 9 (Buffalo area) have been holding a series of informational meetings on coyotes after complaints from residents, particularly in Niagara County.

Coyotes kill animals, or eat already-dead animals, as their main diet. In winter, the most frequently found food in their stomachs are varying hare (rabbit), deer, plant material, chipmunks and squirrels.

"They're normally about the size of a medium-sized German shepherd dog," Chambers said. "The average male adult coyote weighs between 35 and 45 pounds."

Their coat is long and thick, tail full and bushy and usually carried pointing down. The ears are erect and pointed.

"We believe coyotes came from Canada, when the St. Lawrence River froze over in the winter," Chambers said. "We suspect there's been some hybridizing, although we've had only three reports of wolves since 1969 one in the Fulton area, one in Allegany and the other in the St. Lawrence Valley. They are not an established population."

PHOTO CAPTION

The big one Shawn Orchard shot this 81-pound coyote from about 90 yards away.

-----Original Message-----

i just wrote the the paper to see if they had the pic. it is from 1995, so I hope they have a copy (possibly pre-digital??)

They might have a picture stored. I wanted to compare it to the one my neighbor got last November trapping which was weighed at 75#. I am trying to get the picture posted.
The age of this news report explains why there was no mention of the 75# wolf shot as a coyote in Saratoga county three years ago. It took two years for someone to get it tested to find out it really was pure wolf. They then confiscated the pelt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif You can not have "endangered species" as rugs.

If you think Yotes are big try a T-wolf. Lets just say they look smaller through the scope then they do in the snow. Even the biggest yote posted on here wouldnt match a t-wolf. Watch their tails before you squeese a round off and yes sometimes you can not tell between. The right lighting and heat of the moment. But yotes at times can grow large. Espically farther north and farther out you go. Nice yote posted above.

There was a member here a couple years ago that killed a big yote and posted a pick of himself holding it up. he then asked readers to guess the weight. He even gave his own height and weight to get a good perspective. He held out for about a week as I recall. It was pretty fun. It turned out to be 64lbs. It was huge! I don't know what a wolf weighs, but at first glance, that's what it looked like.

Back