3-12x56 30mm ziess conquest

any of you guys use one of these? what's a used ne go for? i have a gentleman trying to trade me one and i have no clue what it's worth.
i believe they have been discontinued.

That particular Conquest with a 30mm tube is a rare bird. I can't say as if I've ever even seen one besides on their website. That makes it pretty hard to estimate what a used price would be. I'd say if you want it start low, like you stole it low.

Its a beast of a scope at 15" long and almost 26oz with such a large obj.. It Wouldn't gather much interest from me. It would be great for driving tent stakes but not for mounting on a rifle you needed to pack very far.

What does he want to trade?

i have one. very bright scope that i have on a rifle for night hunting. i would buy one again if i found one. pretty sure i paid about $550 from someone on the forum.

No good for hunting. Not enough power for target shooting, or to warrant a 56mm objective. Plus I do not like Conquests anyway.

I have owned several 56mm scopes. The only one I retain is a Nightforce 8-323x56. I would never think of hunting with it. It is for LR precision work/matches only.....

i fail to see how a 3-12 scope is no good for hunting?

very bright for low light conditions.

weight? not an issue.

conquests were made in germany, i have a couple of them and find them brighter than most similar scopes and of good quality. a whole lot better than anything like tasco, bushnell, vortex and some others.

Originally Posted By: 6724i fail to see how a 3-12 scope is no good for hunting? weight? not an issue.

If the weight a 25.8 oz scope is not an issue for you, so be it. If find it ridiculously heavy for a hunting rifle, and twice the weight of anything I normally hunt with.

The heaviest scope I ever hunt with(rarely) is a VX3 4.5-14x40 with M1. It still weighs 10 oz less than said Zeiss, is higher powered, more eye relief, more internal adjustment. Why wouldd I hunt with a LOG instead, which offers ZERO advantages?

Furthermore, you have to mount said Zeiss WAY high. Screwing up the ergos of any rifle designed for hunting. And then there's the balance thing.

No thanks......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: 6724i fail to see how a 3-12 scope is no good for hunting? weight? not an issue.

If the weight a 25.8 oz scope is not an issue for you, so be it. If find it ridiculously heavy for a hunting rifle, and twice the weight of anything I normally hunt with.

The heaviest scope I ever hunt with(rarely) is a VX3 4.5-14x40 with M1. It still weighs 10 oz less than said Zeiss, is higher powered, more eye relief, more internal adjustment. Why would I hunt with a LOG instead, which offers ZERO advantages?

Furthermore, you have to mount said Zeiss WAY high. Screwing up the ergos of any rifle designed for hunting. And then there's the balance thing.

No thanks......

You may want to consider different people & different terrain offer different styles of hunting. Stalking miles in a day up a steep incline, every ounce matters. Brudging through thick vegitation, size really matters. Walking 100 yards to a box blind were you can see 800 yards in 3 directions, a guy may want to carry a little heavier rifle (with bigger scope). Short walk in thick timber were it gets dark earlier than in the open, a guy may want to take advantage of the most light transmition he can...

While I agree lots of guys now days get a little overboard with scope size. For a non-pack rifle, without a ton of comb drop; no stink on a 56mm objective scope. I can dang sure tell you that both on 10X - 30minutes after sunset... The exit puple on the 56mm scope will make a big difference. I wouldn't quite say someone turned on the flood lights. But could dang sure mean the difference in telling if it's a shooter buck or not.

I have a 56mm VX-7 -slug- on my favorite "stand" rifle.
grin.gif
Of course I could be wrong... I've been stupid enough to kill deer with a 21# f-class rig.

If I was *that* worried about scope size & weight... I'd shoot iron sights; lighter & smaller than your "best" hunting scope.
scared.gif

i hunt the colorado mountains, i know all about covering ground and hills. sure, the scope might be heavier than others, big deal. i hunt with an ar, 24" barrel, 12x leupold, tall bipod, and more weight. i have been known to hunt 4 miles or more from the truck with the truck parked at 10,000 feet or higher. i do not think the weight is a big deal. all the threads about how to get the rifle weight down, make me wonder if even hunters are pussified these days. i have carried my rem 700 22-250 heavy varmint with me on high elevation coyote hunts, it weighs at least 14 pounds. it is not like you are packing in 6 or 8 miles for 5 days of hunting where every ounce counts. i would doubt most guys who complain about how heavy their rifle is, or try like crazy to build a "light weight coyote rifle" ever get farther than 1.5 miles from the vehicle.

i have lightweight rifles, they are specifically for hunts that i will be packing in miles and spending several days. hunts where i will likely be above 11,000 feet for the entire hunt, like mountain goat, or bighorn sheep, or high country buck. but those hunts are a whole different thing than a day hunt for something that packs out in a grocery sack.

high mounting? hardly a difference on an ar15 than any other scope. on a bolt rifle, still not much different, i run all 50mm objectives on all my big game rifles, is 3mm (1/8") in diameter really going to make the difference?

Back