Accuracy of 22 rimfire magnum

My Savage 93FVSS will put 3 shots touching, little cloverleafs, at 100yds fairly regularly. My bud has a Marlin 882 (?) that is very close to as accurate. The key is finding the right load. generally, I have found 22 mags to vary GREATLY from load to load.

In the case of the 22 mag, I have found the heavy barreled models to be more accurate in general, for whatever reason, or just coincidence. JME.

Obviously, the 22LR has accounted for TONS more reasearch/load development/rimfire match winners, but I have seen quite a few very accurate 22 mags in my day.............

Bit of a shame that there's not as much research and QC as the 22lr and 17hmr, it'd be a perfect inexpensive cartridge if they opened up its use and put more development into it. It's 26$ for a box of 50 hornady 30gr 22wmr, and only 9.50$ for Winny 42gr Powerpoints in 22lr, I sure know which to go with now lol

Here are a few targets I shot with my Ruger VMBZ 22. mag and one target with a Marlin. As was mentioned earlier, choosing the right ammo makes a difference.

I was only shooting 60 yards, so the groups would not have been as good if at 100.

As to scopes on the Ruger, I used a Nikon 3x9 for a while, then switched to a Leupold VX-2 3x9 with dot reticle.

All of those groups are good enough for predators though the Winchester and Hornady loads left a lot to be desired.

The biggest problem I have had with the .22 mag is that they are not always consistent. The above groups are my best (with the exceptions of the two).
On any given day it seems that I either shoot very well or not so good, while my experience with the 22 long rifle is that it is more consistent time after time.
I don't know why that is so, but it has been the case with me for many years while using a variety of rifles.

The .22 mag does pack some punch for a small cartridge and that's why I like it. For reasonable ranges up to 75 yards or so, I don't have much of a problem.

These two were taken at estimated ranges of 75 yards. Both were one-shot kills, dropped on the spot. The coyote was head shot.

I like the .22 mag but it will never replace a good 22 long rifle for accuracy in my opinion. But, what it lacks in accuracy it makes up for with greater energy,
and the magnum is plenty good enough for most reasonable rimfire ranges.

high velocity hunting ammo I think the 22 mag will shoot just as good or better! The 22LR subsonic match grade ammo is more accurate. I have a bunch of articles on the subject, side by side same rifles 22lr 22mag,the Magnum shot just as good or better than the LR! Look at the test targets that come with the Cooper and Anschutz rifles.

Originally Posted By: RonO.In my 22 Magnums, a Ruger M77/22 will provide 1.5" groups and a Marlin goes a bit over 2". Granted the scope on the Ruger is clearly better, but I don't believe there would a great difference in any case. I have never gotten the groups with my 22M's that I have gotten with my 17HMR's, but I really like they way they thump game.

I have a 77/22 target model that will group 3/4 all day long with CCI 40 grn JHP's...

Originally Posted By: TnTnTn6mm06-great post and pics-in what part of the country are you located?

LOL ... I was going to ask the same question .....
blushing.gif

I may be mistaken, but I believe Mr. Dave is somewhere in VA.

VG-1
I purchased a used Volquartsen in .22 Magnum rimfire model VG-1 several years ago. It is the most accurate .22 Mag. rimfire rifle I have ever owned. That includes an Anshutz model 54. a Cooper rifle, and many others. I have found it is accurate with several brands of ammo including RWS 40 g HP (the most accurate

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I like the .22 mag but it will never replace a good 22 long rifle for accuracy in my opinion. But, what it lacks in accuracy it makes up for with greater energy,
and the magnum is plenty good enough for most reasonable rimfire ranges.

I agree. I've never seen a 22 WMR shoot with a good quality LR. I know the internet is full of "one hole at 100 yards all day long" 22 mags, I've just never seen one in person. I love it for small to medium varmint control, but it's no LR in the accuracy dept.

Also plenty of one holer cz 22lrs! Just go to rim fire central! Side by side same rifle one in 22lr one in 22MAG, the 22 mag will shoot just as good or better! Thats with high velocity hunting ammo. Many moons ago me and a buudy did some chronographing of msot good 22lr and 22 mag ammo. The 22lr hunting ammo was just as bad as 22 magnum ammo!

Originally Posted By: marcoAlso plenty of one holer cz 22lrs! Just go to rim fire central!

because you read it on rimfire central makes it true? i got a bridge some where you might want to buy.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: marcoAlso plenty of one holer cz 22lrs! Just go to rim fire central!

because you read it on rimfire central makes it true? i got a bridge some where you might want to buy.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

YEP. While there's some good info over there, there's also some "male measuring" and "truth stretching" going on too .......
rolleyes.gif

Back