Need a new hunting knife.

the noobie

Lost my old hunting knife... Not sure what happened to it but it got lost in the move from Idaho to Montana. I don't need a lot of knife I just want one for gutting. Simple design, one thats not too hard to clean up but one that will hold up to use and retain a decent edge.

Looking at a Buck Bantam that wally world has for sale but I hate trying to put an edge on a few of the old buck knives I have. I have one thats steel is so hard I physically can't sharpen it. Just curious if anyone has a decent little knife that won't cost too much. I don't want one that I will cry over if lost.

For what your looking for I would go with a puma fixed blade I've picked up a couple of their newer knives that the blades are german made but the handles and sheaths are made else were.

Any of the Buck 420HC knives are extremely easy to sharpen. They also do not stain and backed by a great company. They are also pretty easy on the wallet.

I would go with a fixed blade for gutting. I gave up folders for that task 20 years ago. It honestly took me longer to clean the guts out of my knife than out of the critter. My knife often STUNK.........

I like the looks of Benchmade Lone Wolf knives. N680 steel, nice and bright orange scales. Useable patterns. And they're in expensive around $60 or so...

Thanks for the replies all.

I would prefer a fixed blade, but would settle for a very simple, easy to clean folder. Been looking at the Buck Paklite knives, not sure how well the skeletonized knives would be to use, but for the price they look pretty good.

Originally Posted By: the noobieBeen looking at the Buck Paklite knives, not sure how well the skeletonized knives would be to use, but for the price they look pretty good.

They're a good option. Well made knives, good steel and they hold an edge.

I have a couple kershaw folders that do a great job on pigs and deer, occasionally an elk. Usually clean a couple pigs before needing to be sharpened. They touch up well on a diamond stick or arkansas stone.
I get them on ebay around twenty bucks.

Last edited:
Look at sportsmans guide # g4d230786 its a puma 3 knife set for $75 ,has a big broad blade for gutting and 2 smaller knives for skinning. Great knives too I bought a set and am very happy with them for the price

Originally Posted By: bushythe two knives I use the most are the "alpha-wolf" from Knives of alsaka and the Havalon pirranta.

That's a pretty good arsenal right there. ^

I like my KOA Caper and it's somewhat softer D2 enough I'd be tempted to try the Alpha if it didn't have all those finger groves.

Back on topic.
Buck vanguard's another good all around field knife at a reasonable price.
I've had one for about 25yrs. Highly recommend.

105 Pathfinder

0105BKS-B.jpg

Originally Posted By: rpc55105 Pathfinder

0105BKS-B.jpg

I have and used one like this a lot back in college. Pretty good knife overall, but that handle gets quite slippery when bloody.

Tons of great choices but I second the Havalon Piranta. Get a knife of choice for carry/survival/camp chores but for game you can't beat a scalpel that never needs to be sharpened. The weight is miniscule and it cleans up very easily. Get one you won't be sorry

Originally Posted By: rpc55105 Pathfinder

0105BKS-B.jpg

+1 A great knife for birds, fish, furbearers, and even field dressing but a traditional drop point skinner's probably better for big game.

I have field dressed a good 20+ deer with my 105. The marks you see on blade are not from sharpening, but from going through ribs.....
53790643.jpg

Back