Hog Killin' Compilation

Victor_TNVC

I posted all of these in separate threads throughout the past few weeks, so I thought I would compile them to one thread in case anyone would want to see them in one place.

The title pretty much says it all. Below are three videos from our recent hunt.

FIRST VIDEO
The thermal footage, is to my knowledge (unless I am totally mistaken) capturing the very first hogs killed with the new FLIR T75 that was released a few weeks ago. This took place 12 July in Victoria, Texas at Wild River Ranch. We had a great time hunting with the guys out there that weekend, and really can't say enough good things about those folks.

The first pig I shot at the 1 minute and 19 second mark , ran off screen and eventually died to the left of where we were set up. The second pig was pretty tough as well. He eventually croaked on the third shot, though. The 77 grain match ammo I was using, was just punching straight through them, leaving clean entry and exit wounds.

To my knowledge, these are the first hog kills with the FLIR T75 since it was released, a few weeks ago.

*The ambient crickets and gunshot noises were added to simulate conditions. The DVR I recorded this video with, does not have an active mic to pick up audio.

My loadout for this was:
5.56 SPR build
77grain match ammunition
FLIR T75 clip-on thermal mounted in front of a Trijicon ACOG

Before this video started, at the distance we are in the video itself, my spotter called PID on the hogs, with his magnified I^2 (isquared) device. The distance on the shots, were roughly 100 yards. You may be able to tell from the footage, but the grass was about knee high where the hogs were, and they were on somewhat of a gradual downward slope. This made it pretty challenging to estimate my holds and ensure my rounds weren't going to plant themselves in the dirt of the slope that was just between them and I. There are a lot of things I could have done differently on this stalk/kill, however, overall I'm happy with the performance.

It's important to note, that around the 52-55 second mark, I was actually planning on taking them together, as close as I could get them, HOWEVER, with thermal (which is no fault of its own) I couldn't identify head from [beeep]. This same thing would apply to a bad guy laying down. Understanding when to take a shot, and when not to, is the true key to a good hunt. Patience was never my strong suit, but it's something that had to be learned and applied when taking shots on animals or bad guys.

SECOND VIDEO
We got PID on these hogs, at about 200 yards out from Doc Lucci and stalked up on them, until eventually Kyle (whom had the crossbow) was roughly 20 yards from this sounder. This hog in particular, got popped pretty good and we tracked him for a bit, until we encountered a nice patch of thick brush where I assume he laid down to die, and so we called it. We had more hogs to exterminate on the property, and we knew that wasting our time trying to find this one, wasn't the best idea since we had many more to kill.

Honestly, with this many hog in one area and really only one designated shooter (with a crossbow at that) it's a little less than safe in my opinion. Fortunately, these bastards didn't try to run back towards us. It would have been interesting to say the least.

If you look closely at the slow motion replay, you will notice that when the arrow passed through the hog, the hog did a barrel roll, then ran into thick brush. Details on the equipment we were using, are in the video itself. If you guys gave any questions, please feel free to ask them

To my knowledge, this is the first video of a hog kill with a PEQ-15 mounted to a crossbow.

THIRD VIDEO
The second hog we took with the crossbow setup. Kyle (the shooter) got pretty close to this group, maybe 30 yards. The hog he shot, the arrow passed straight through (double lung), and dropped at about 50 yards off screen. What I thought was interesting, is the fact that after Kyle shot the crossbow, the rest of the hogs were barely even spooked. They moved maybe 15 yards and continued to root.

*Details on the equipment we were using, are below;

BARNETT QUAD 400 CROSSBOW
PEQ-15 LASER
TNV/SENTINEL GOGGLES
HEADHUNTER BOLTS
NAP HELLRAZORS
LAUNCHPAD LIGHTED NOCKS

Back