Anyone use .300BLK on coyotes?

JoshuaN

Just curious how many out there hunt with this caliber. I built a pretty light rig and think it will be more enjoyable to carry around than my .223 which is kinda heavy. Also curious what a .300BLK will do to the pelt.

I use mine on night hunts. Run a can so it will be quiet and range is close. I use 208 amax. Usually get two round holes or one sideways exit. Yotes won't drop unless head shot but cats, fox and coon usually do. Many people expect more from the round than what it was designed for. (stick with 223 if you don't want to track)

Skinney from O'niell Ops uses one suppressed and has taken a coyote or two with it if I'm not mistaken. He could answer a question or two.

Chupa

I've used my 300 blackout to shoot five coyotes. Does the job but even using supersonics my 223 seems to drop em quicker. Shot two coyotes early on using the lehigh defense subsonics. One ran a ways but we were able to recover it. The other one ran off and was never recovered even though I'm sure it was a good hit. The others I shot using supersonic 125gr Nosler BT. All ran and spun and ran a very short distance and dropped within sight. Everything I've shot with my 223 has been a bang flop DRT coyote. All shots were inside 50 yards.

Although my 300 blackout has a 8.2" barrel and my 223 had an 18" barrel so might not be a fair comparison.

Last edited:
I have recently shot a few w/ mine (16" barrel) with a 110gr v-max at a chronographed 2494 ft/s. The results were definitely not pelt friendly and they did not do much but fall to the ground. I didn't have my range finder that day, but it took 94 regular steps to reach him, so probably around 75 yards.

Last edited:
I just got my build/suppressor all finished up. I got a supersonic (110vmax) and a subsonic (208amax) load worked up and sighted in last week. While I haven't taken anything with it yet, I plan on it being my "go-to" rig this season.

I'm excited to see what that little 110 pushed as hard as it'll go out of an 8.3" barrel will do!

Back