NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Benelli that I've shot, pattern higher than say a Rem 870/11-87, they are set up that way.
The left/right I've not seen. The shims should help .

Last edited:
Is your pattern only 6" high at 40 yards? How wide is your pattern at the distance it is shooting 6" high?

Many shotgun shooters prefer to have the pattern hit a little high.

Originally Posted By: coyotekillerNEHere's some Hornady Magnum Coyote BB at 50 yards shot with an Akdal MKA1919, modified choke, Burris Fastfire III on top. That's a 12x12 plate of AR400.
Btw, let's keep this thread up and rolling, I love reading about different shotguns and loads.

Looks like I better try some Hornady. I like this thread too. It kinda drives me crazy but it is interesting.(never would have tried a mod choke at 50 yards before)

Last edited:
Midway has some Kick's chokes on sale. I picked up a Gobblin Thunder 0.670 for my Benelli for less than $40 to my door. I will be trying it out with some reloads of #4 Buck later this week.

Last edited:
Went out and tried my new Kick's Choke (0.670 GT) in my 21" Benelli M2/Crio and must say I was disappointed. #4 Buckshot was spread over the entire 20 x 26 target sheet with no real sweet spot.

Given that disappointment, I decided to switch back to my Dead Coyote choke and do some patterning of my handloads. These loads are based on a Dixie Slug Recipe, using 18 pellets of #1 Buck in a 3" Hull. I had patterned this load a bit using the Dead Coyote choke and wanted to try some different wad petal configurations. I buy the wads unslit and cut them - I tried 2, 3, 4 & 6 petal configurations. These were loaded a few weeks back using Hornady #1, which I can't get any longer, but they were loaded and I wanted to see if one was better than the other. The pellets are stacked 2 per layer, 9 layers high. The first shot had me really confused...it was TIGHT...way tighter than before. When I went back to the line I realized that I had never swapped out the choke and was still using the Kick's 0.670 GT choke. It shot way tighter than the Dead Coyote. The winner of the testing was the 4 Petal version, which had 17 of the 18 #1 pellets inside 12 inches and had 15 inside 8"! The pattern inside the 8" circle was very uniform, and I can cover most of the 15 pellets with my hand.

These were shot at 35 yds, since that was were I shot from on my previous tests and wanted to compare apples to apples. I will do some 40yd and 50yd testing next week, but I think I should easily be able to get enough pellets in the center to put a coyote down at 50.

Given these results, I think I am going to try the #4 buck load in my 0.665 Carlson's Turkey Choke. I did some calculations based on stacks of 4, #4's and it comes out a tad under 0.670. It certainly doesn't appear that I have enough choke. I am also going to order some #1 Super Buck from BPI, because if the #4 doesn't work out, I know the #1 will do the job.

2 Slits - some say that these wads can yaw in flight, causing blown patterns. Others say the wad petals are stiffer which delays opening, creating tighter patterns. This one has some density to it, but not real uniform. I only had one of these left to pattern.

14645755867_6822206b49_c.jpg

3 Slits - many report that 3 slits give them the best patterns. These turned out nice, but it is hard to slit the wads evenly with 3 cuts.

14852148863_bda153ca26_c.jpg

14831920722_b7b21e8fa7_c.jpg

4 Slits - this is the winner. 17 of the 18 pellets inside 12" and 14-15 pellets inside 8". Very uniform looking patterns. Not sure why the one is off to the left, but it is probably from using the top rail of a folding step stool as a rest. I have a Leupold Delta Point on my Benelli, so POI issues can be addressed easily. I am going to experiment further with depth of the petal cuts to see if the patterns can be improved further.

14832280965_b67307144e_c.jpg

ETA - on this last target I measured the main "Cluster" and it has 12 pellets inside 4". I will be adjusting the Delta Point to put this cluster dead center on my next range session.

14645657158_c3309775e0_c.jpg

6 slits was nothing to write home about, so I didn't include it.

Last edited:
that is a killer pattern for sure. the only down side to #1 buck is it is fewer pellets then #4 buck so you have less forgiveness with your shots BUT depending on how well the pattern holds together, you can kill further with it. that is one heck of a deer hunting setup. and plenty good for varmints too. what kind of velocity is that setup?

Originally Posted By: 22catthat is a killer pattern for sure. the only down side to #1 buck is it is fewer pellets then #4 buck so you have less forgiveness with your shots BUT depending on how well the pattern holds together, you can kill further with it. that is one heck of a deer hunting setup. and plenty good for varmints too. what kind of velocity is that setup?

I have not yet shot it over a chrono... I will have to set up the chrono next time. This session was primarily about finding a wad slit pattern that improved that load. It hits the target backer hard though...should be lights out every time.

I figure I am fine giving up the pellet count if I get patterns like that. Don't mind having to aim either as I don't rely on the spread to improve my chances and the Delta Point is great for fast shooting.

Last edited:
johral, if you make an order from BPI get a bottle of lead T shot and try it. Lead T shot works great on coyotes and you get a good pellet count.

When I reloaded BPI's lead T shot there was 4 pellets per 1/8 oz of shot.

Dialed in the Delta Point this weekend. This load is a killer for sure. No pattern shifting during these tests, so I think my crappy support last time was the culprit. I was shooting at 35 yards again, to make sure I was getting an apples to apples comparison.

I changed the aiming area to a triangle to match the Delta and it worked great. I will do more testing at 40 and 50 yards, but I am completely out of #1 Buck, so I am going to have to place an order before I can do anymore shooting.

I tried #4 again, this time in the Carlson's 0.665 Turkey and the Dead Coyote. The 0.665 was all over the paper again, just like the Kick's. The Dead Coyote gave me a perfect Donut, (overchoked) pattern, with ZERO pellets in the center, so next time I go out I will try my Full and Modified chokes and see which way to go in the future.

This target has 16 inside 12" (#17 is on the line between 9 & 10 O'clock), 15 inside 8" and 11 inside 6". Considering there are only 18 pellets in the load, that is one heck of a pattern. These were assembled with 4 petal wads again, but this time I only slit them about 3/4 of the way to the base. I will have to do a bit more testing, but I think the full slits were a bit more consistent and produced more rounded patterns.

14961585465_c55609a93a_c.jpg

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to get a red dot and several flavors of 3 and 3 1/2 inch loadings, some brown paper and do some patterning with 2 different 835"s and an assortment of chokes. After 2 dozen rounds or so my flinch was so bad at 40 yards I quit since I could no longer rely on the shooter. I never even fired the second shotgun.
In conclusion I believe I'm getting some type of basic AR,a 1x4 scope and forget the shotties.

Originally Posted By: JohnK9027This thread inspired me to get a red dot and several flavors of 3 and 3 1/2 inch loadings, some brown paper and do some patterning with 2 different 835"s and an assortment of chokes. After 2 dozen rounds or so my flinch was so bad at 40 yards I quit since I could no longer rely on the shooter. I never even fired the second shotgun.
In conclusion I believe I'm getting some type of basic AR,a 1x4 scope and forget the shotties.

Use a bag of shot or a sandbag between your stock and shoulder when testing.

I went out today just to check some different loads for penetration.

I am not a big fan of steel shot or Hevi-Metal loads but I did shoot some Hevi-Metal BBB loads today to compare them to some of my other loads.

004-4.jpg

I shot this 3/4" thick plywood at 40 yards with a Hevi-Metal BBB load. None of the Steel BBB pellets or the smaller #3 Hevi-Metal pellets went through the plywood at 40 yards.

025-4.jpg

I stuck some wire in the Hevi-Metal BBB load #3 pellet holes and it was only in the plywood about 1/8" to 3/16" deep.

027-1.jpg

The Hevi-Metal steel BBB pellet holes were about 1/4" to 5/16" deep.

008-6.jpg

Then I shot the same 3/4" thick plywood with a 1-1/2 oz Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" #4 shot re-load at 40 yards. Most of the TSS #4 shot went right through the 3/4" plywood at 40 yards.

030.jpg

Then I flipped the 3/4" plywood over and shot it at 60 yards with a Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB load. All of the Federal Heavyweight BB pellets that hit the plywood went through the 3/4" thick plywood at 60 yards.

032-3.jpg

Then I took a piece of 1/2" plywood and shot it with the Hevi-Metal BBB load at 40 yards. 5 of the Steel BBB pellets from the Hevi-Metal load just barely made it through this piece of 1/2" plywood. None of the smaller #3 Hevi-Metal pellets went through the 1/2" plywood.

042-4.jpg

Then I shot the same piece of 1/2" plywood at 40 yards with a 1-3/8 oz reload of #5 Tungsten Super Shot. Most all of the TSS #5 shot went through the 1/2" plywood that only 5 of the steel BBB pellets went through.

Steel Shot has a density of 7.9g/cc

Lead shot has a density of 11.3g/cc

Hevi-Shot, Remington HD shot and Winchester Xtended Range shot all have a density of 12g/cc.

Federal Heavyweight shot is 15g/cc. Federal says it is 35% denser than lead and it looks to me like it is by counting the weighed pellets per ounce.

Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" has a density of 18.0g/cc. This stuff is unreal, it is really heavy for it's size. Quite a few turkey hunters use #8 or #9 TSS shot to kill turkeys at very long ranges. Many duck and goose hunters say that TSS #5 shot will smoke honkers at 60 yards.

In a few weeks I hope to try some of the TSS #4 and #5 loads on geese and I also want to save a few of the TSS #4s to shoot coyotes with. I will post on here what I find out.

JohnK I've tried quite a few different chokes in my 835.With buckshot Kick's Buck Kicker .745 worked best.With BB loads their Gobblin Thunder .680 came out on top.Other's that shot well with buckshot-Kicks High Flyer .748 and Mberg Accumag Mod .750.With BB's Mberg's Ulti mag .695.

Back