What's been your experience with Game Wardens???

Originally Posted By: bonecollector777Game wardens are a bunch or wannabes that were picked on in school. They want more than anything to write you a ticket and think they have all the power in the world because they have a badge. Haven't met one yet that doesn't automatically think you broke the law and starts trying to get you. Thank goodness they have never been able to scrounge up anything against me but they dang sure have tried.

One of the purposes of the game warden forum was to provide a friendly environment for members to interact with game wardens to promote a better understanding and spirit of cooperation. Where you are from in AZ, all of the game wardens are wildlife biologist that have at least a bachelor of science degree. I doubt they spent thousands out of their pocket to get a college degree just to write misdemeanor tickets. Law enforcement is a fraction of what they do since they also work as biologists to manage the wildlife populations in their assigned areas. They are a wealth of knowledge if you ask them about something. I'm guessing you just look suspicious to them for some reason.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: bonecollector777Game wardens are a bunch or wannabes that were picked on in school. They want more than anything to write you a ticket and think they have all the power in the world because they have a badge. Haven't met one yet that doesn't automatically think you broke the law and starts trying to get you. Thank goodness they have never been able to scrounge up anything against me but they dang sure have tried.

One of the purposes of the game warden forum was to provide a friendly environment for members to interact with game wardens to promote a better understanding and spirit of cooperation. Where you are from in AZ, all of the game wardens are wildlife biologist that have at least a bachelor of science degree. I doubt they spent thousands out of their pocket to get a college degree just to write misdemeanor tickets. Law enforcement is a fraction of what they do since they also work as biologists to manage the wildlife populations in their assigned areas. They are a wealth of knowledge if you ask them about something. I'm guessing you just look suspicious to them for some reason.

I have seen both in AZ.. out away from phoenix, they have been, for the most part great.. Friendly, supportive, and helpful. The only time i didn't like it was when they were running a surprise road block where they would pull out and box you in to check your info during an elk hunt in unit 1. I didn't like that because they have no right to ask for hunting lic, or search your vehicle or inspect my vehicle, other than drivers lic, ins., and vehicle reg, if there is no evidence of hunting. If I don't have an animal or they see me hunting, They are being pushy. Most have never done anything like that and are great.

The ones around PHX on the lakes are another matter. I will repectfully agree with BC777 on that one with that group

In my experience here in WI most are pretty decent. I have run into a few power hungry knuckle heads though. Unfortunately the best one I have ever know recently left the position in our area. He was all ways willing to listen to hunters/fishermen about concerns and on more then one occasion I saw him give people the benefit of the doubt it's too bad he left.

The ones I've met here in northeast SD are great. Only had one problem . . . called the office one time to verify the restrictions on hunting in a state-owned campground over the winter for small game, and the conservation officer told me over the phone that I could hunt with my .22 LR there as long as it was not pheasant or camping season. A couple of weeks later I was hunting in a WIA and one of the wardens stopped me (turns out they were looking for some deer poachers) and he was exceptionally nice. Showed my license and we talked about rabbit hunting for a bit and he gave me some areas to check, and we discussed the campground I had called about; the guy I had talked to over the phone had given me the wrong info and it was shotgun only. I offered to bring in the rabbits I had shot there to hand over to Sportsmen Against Hunger and he told me to keep them. Didn't get a ticket or warning so it all ended well.

I did end up seeing the poachers later that day, and it turned out they had taken several deer across the county out of season. Called them in and they were busted. A few weeks after that I called in some dumped Canadas shot during light goose, and now the wardens stop to chat every time they see my vehicle out in the WIA's and I've got their cell numbers. The guys out here are ultra-professional and super supportive of hunters who follow the rules, do their job, and do it very well.

They have a hard job. Let’s face it 100 percent of the hunters they encounter are armed, and frequently in pretty secluded places. I have met plenty fishing not as many while hunting. They all acted professionally, sadly some a lot more professional than others. That is as polite as I can say it.

Originally Posted By: jon mathThey have a hard job. Let’s face it 100 percent of the hunters they encounter are armed, and frequently in pretty secluded places.

That seems to mean nothing in reality. Very few game wardens are involved in an on the job shooting encounter.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: jon mathThey have a hard job. Let’s face it 100 percent of the hunters they encounter are armed, and frequently in pretty secluded places.

That seems to mean nothing in reality. Very few game wardens are involved in an on the job shooting encounter.

GC,
maybe it means nothing to you "in reality", but it means a lot to the ones who are involved.
My agency lost 3 officers to shooting incidents while I was working.
One died, and the other 2 were permanently disabled.

Thank you for your opinion.
thumbup1.gif

Definitely no disrespect intended, however the number of game wardens involved in on the job shootings and/or killed in the line of duty is extremely low compared to municipal police, county deputy sheriff's, state troopers or certain federal law enforcement officers like DEA, US Marshal's, Border Patrol, ect. Game wardens always throw out the old "everybody we meet is armed and we are seven times more likely to be killed..." The facts just don't bear that out, it just doesn't happen with the same frequency that it does to other law enforcement officers. The vast majority of those game warden contacts are honest law abiding sportsmen and women engaging in legal activities. In the time frame you worked for your agency three wardens were involved in a shooting, so how many muni cops, deputies and troopers in your state were involved with on the job shootings in that same time period? The numbers just don't add up the same. Please don't misunderstand or misconstrue my post, just stating facts for the discussion. I am sorry for your departments loss.

Never seen one except driving down the highway. Never been checked or encountered a warden in the field. There used to be check stations you were supposed to stop at if you were hunting, successful or not, but they closed them when FWP ran out of money when out of state elk hunters quit coming here.

Very good guys around my area. One in my County also did my CC training course and to the County South of me stopped just to visit, see if we were having any luck. Did not ask for squat, but did offer some advice on Predator Hunting.

A number of years ago a couple of friends came out to the farm every Saturday and we would go shoot ground squires every week a game warden came out to see us we had permission to hunt on the land we were on and some one next door called in about us every week. Any how the warden was very nice and after about four weeks he laughed and said that he would see us next week he never said but we all new who was calling him. The warden and the three of us all were friends by the end of the summer. Never did know what the complainers problem was.

Been hunting and fishing for 5 decades now and have had many,many contacts with the Game LEO's here in Oregon. I have never had a bad contact experience with any of them.

I do not give them any attitude so never receive none back.
Have had some ask me some leading questions kinda like they are trying to trip me up but since I have nothing to hide or lie about they finally quit asking those type of questions and everything goes smooth.

I am of the opinion that most people but not all that get an attitude from a GW or LEO first gives one to the officer or just has a problem with anyone in authority.

Most in my area are just normal guys doing their job, but several are some of the biggest poachers in the state. You know what John Dalber-Acton said, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Originally Posted By: JTBMost in my area are just normal guys doing their job, but several are some of the biggest poachers in the state. You know what John Dalber-Acton said, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

WOW! that's crazy. What happened when you turned them in???

In nearly 60 years of hunting, I never met any that were poachers. I have met some that turned into true friends and I ony remember two who should be in a different line of work. Most are helpful and doing a thankless job. I'm glad they are out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redfrog

WOW! that's crazy. What happened when you turned them in???

Yep, I'd like to hear some details too.

We got one down here that is a real lazy piece of work and is trying to pick a fight with the base.

He wants the base that has it's own program. They have a game biologist and they work out the tag numbers. There are a few tags that can go to anyone, but you have to be able to pass a background check. The majority of the tags go to active duty, retired and they have a special hunt for Disabled guys. (deer, turkey, elk)
The new guys wants the base to open it to anyone and no set asides for military. SO they increase the number of tags a little for non-military, and as always, if there are any left over tags after the draw its a first come first serve tag to anyone. They have left over bull, and cow rifle tags and usually a number of left over archery tags.

That is going over like a fart in church.

Now the base is forcing everyone no matter age, to have a hunter saftey (fine) and then come in for a saftey brief where you turn in a stack of paperwork.

But because of the hassles they are saying that now they have to hire someone and they have to charge the cost of that employee to the hunters, so next year, instead of a $30 fee for hunting on the base it could be $100-150 for the fee, above what the cost tag ($135) It won't be long before it's just cheeper to go buy a ranchers cow and shoot that.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZWe got one down here that is a real lazy piece of work and is trying to pick a fight with the base.

He wants the base that has it's own program. They have a game biologist and they work out the tag numbers. There are a few tags that can go to anyone, but you have to be able to pass a background check. The majority of the tags go to active duty, retired and they have a special hunt for Disabled guys. (deer, turkey, elk)
The new guys wants the base to open it to anyone and no set asides for military. SO they increase the number of tags a little for non-military, and as always, if there are any left over tags after the draw its a first come first serve tag to anyone. They have left over bull, and cow rifle tags and usually a number of left over archery tags.

That is going over like a fart in church.

Now the base is forcing everyone no matter age, to have a hunter saftey (fine) and then come in for a saftey brief where you turn in a stack of paperwork.

But because of the hassles they are saying that now they have to hire someone and they have to charge the cost of that employee to the hunters, so next year, instead of a $30 fee for hunting on the base it could be $100-150 for the fee, above what the cost tag ($135) It won't be long before it's just cheeper to go buy a ranchers cow and shoot that.

Why do you say he's lazy?

We have a military base here in Alberta that allows hunting on a draw system. Every year it is harder to draw a tag as more and more hunters apply. Some think it is easier to be successful in the draw than spend the year knocking on doors for permission. Because of the movement restrictions, a hunter doesn't have huge areas to scout.
There is an orientation session daily where the rules are explained and areas pointed out for access etc. And yet there are lazy hunters who go to the trouble of entering the draw, winning a tag, showing up for the information briefing and then can't be bothered to follow the rules.
The draw rules change every year here as far as number of tags available, areas that are open etc. Some changes make hunters happy and the same changes torque others.You can't please everyone. F/W operates on a priority system here. All unsuccessful applicants get one priority point for the next draw. The points accumulate year to year.Some hunters simply buy the draw application and then 999 the selection which means they don't want a tag this year, just a priority point. Some guys have 10 or 12 points and have simply paid for the point each year.In some cases like goats or sheep, because of the popularity of the draw, a person needs to live to be 437 years old to get one of the tags. We have this system because of the cry babaies who whine 'I never get a draw, but my brother gets his.WAAAAAA!" If it's a draw, then it should be random.Everyone has the same chance.

As far as increasing the fees, I have no problem with that. Let the oes who want to hunt there pay for admin costs. Why add those costs to everyone's license fees. That is what they will do to cover the cost.

We have hunters who apply for a hunt who have never taken one step in an area up for draws. They get the draw and then are on the internet hunt boards asking which landowner or area to go to for a hunt.
It's often the game wardens who help out, with contacts and info on game movements.

Back